C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Leaf Spring Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 AM
gomer56
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Leaf Spring Help

Hello everyone. Could you be kind enough to help me out? I am installing a composite leaf spring in the rear of my 1981 Vette. I took off my mufflers and pipes from the catback. Then the cat melted my leaf and broke it. So, now I have a new one and I am trying to install it. How do I compress it to get it in? I have tried everything. It is very dangerous. Are there any manuals that would help? Please help before I get my face taken off.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer56
Hello everyone. Could you be kind enough to help me out? I am installing a composite leaf spring in the rear of my 1981 Vette. I took off my mufflers and pipes from the catback. Then the cat melted my leaf and broke it. So, now I have a new one and I am trying to install it. How do I compress it to get it in? I have tried everything. It is very dangerous. Are there any manuals that would help? Please help before I get my face taken off.

Thanks

You don't need to install it with the car on the ground. Jack the car up so the weight is off of it and it can bow. Don't install the end bolt hardware until the spring is bolted in. Then, you can jack up the spring to meet the trailing arms, and insert the spring bolts.

You might need longer spring bolts depending on your clearance problem and how you want the rear end to sit.

Last edited by Durango_Boy; 08-05-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

As BD said, bolt the spring onto the differential first, make sure its square and secure. Place 2 C Clamps on the spring about 3" inboard of the hole at the end of the spring and place a floor jack under the c clamp and jack it up slowly until you can get the end bolts thru the spring. The clamps will keep the jack from sliding on the spring.
Be careful, these parts bite
You might need longes end bolts to get it to sit right with the new spring.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
As BD said, bolt the spring onto the differential first, make sure its square and secure. Place 2 C Clamps on the spring about 3" inboard of the hole at the end of the spring and place a floor jack under the c clamp and jack it up slowly until you can get the end bolts thru the spring. The clamps will keep the jack from sliding on the spring.
Be careful, these parts bite
You might need longes end bolts to get it to sit right with the new spring.

Mine had a lip on the end made for a floor jack to engage and raise.
Or, you can wrap it and then put C-Clamps on it for a jack to rest against as well during raising, just don't go too tight and crack the new spring.
You almost definately have to use longer bolts.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's what I found- Seems to be a good idea-especially if you don't want to scratch your spring up. Looks as though it would also work on a composite.

Richard

Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
tjl82
Advanced

i used a ratchet binder i rapped around the bat wing and ratchet it into place used a vice grip so the binder wouldn't slip alot safer you don't have to worry about a jack slipping it pulled rite into place
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
gomer56
3rd Gear

Thanks so much guys. Got it with a c-clamp and jack. However like you guys said, it sits way too high now. How do I lower it down? Do longer bolts on the ends of the spring make the ride height lower? How long should they be? Will longer bolts be closer to the ground therefore making ground clearance (more of) a problem?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Thanks so much guys. Got it with a c-clamp and jack. However like you guys said, it sits way too high now. How do I lower it down? Do longer bolts on the ends of the spring make the ride height lower? How long should they be? Will longer bolts be closer to the ground therefore making ground clearance (more of) a problem?

Thanks

Longer bolts will lower the back of the car. The spring doesn't have to arch as much, so it won't hold it as high.

I think 8" are common for after market glass springs.

They won't affect ground clearance unless you get extreme.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
gomer56
3rd Gear

Can I just back the nuts off of the bolts. If I do I could not use the cotter pin though. Could I use loctite to keep the nuts from coming off instead?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Can I just back the nuts off of the bolts. If I do I could not use the cotter pin though. Could I use loctite to keep the nuts from coming off instead?

That's an accident waiting to happen, besides you need a lot more than the few threads at the end of that bolt.

Do it right, get the longer bolts with pin holes, and call it done right.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's what the 8" bolt looks like installed. This was just after reinstalling the entire axle back into the car and haven't driven it yet. The final adjustments are pending. I have 17" wheels w/4" bs; no issue with interference near the inside rim.

Mine were ordered from VB&P and are the nylon lock nuts; the bolt ends are not drilled for a cotter key.
I haven't heard these are a problem and I'll listen in if anyone has had an issue with nylon locknuts failing to hold position.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Leaf Spring Help

Quick Reply: Rear Leaf Spring Help