C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC question.... VIR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AC question.... VIR

Has anyone rebuilt their VIR valve?

A little history.........when I converted my system to R134 I changed the VIR valve to a cycling system. This supposedly was going to give me better performance. Well, I'm not too happy with the setup. The biggest issue is the cycling of the A6 compressor. Its a big compressor that pulls the engine down noticeably when it kicks on and also, due to its horsepower demands, caused the belt to chirp everytime it kicks on. I've thought about going with a complete Vintage Air system, or equivalent, but I can't justify the cost given the amount of time I drive the car per year. So I'm going to reinstall the VIR and go back to a constant on system. I'm not sure if I'll stick with R134 or go back to R12 or a substitute like Freeze12. Regardless, the question remains, is it difficult to rebuild a VIR, since I have 2 or 3 of them in my attic, or should I just order a rebuilt one?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would pick up another VIR. As for the type of refrigerant, I would stay with R12 as that is what the system is designed for. Results with R134a and others are mixed. My '76 system is the original type and it blows 40 degrees at the vents.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
CJ 77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the conversion to 134a. Cool feet are happy feet! I kept my original 77 VIR. I just opted to replace the decicadent (spelling) bag and o-ring. I suppose you go the route of a complete rebuild but all I did was a flush.
chuck
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my godamn VIR apart a 3 times! I bought a new one "Just Because" when I did the A/C system over after I blew a hose and it turned out to be NG. The valve inside would stick all the time like my old one used to which would freeze up the system. I bought a used unit from a forum member and took the valve from his and put it in mine and it's been working perfectly ever since. (I hope saying that doesn't spell doom!)

It's pretty easy to work on, there are two valves inside in the upper chamber and a desicant bag with moisture absorbing material in the lower one. If yours was working OK, I'd just install a new desicant bag and leave the rest of it alone.
As far as refrigerant, I'm using R-12 and it works perfectly. I wouldn't use Freeze 12 myself, it's a butane based material which is flamable.

I gotta agree about the A6 compressor though, I hate the thing, front seal is designed to weep and eventually sprays oil all over the place. Stupid!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn
I've had my godamn VIR apart a 3 times! I bought a new one "Just Because" when I did the A/C system over after I blew a hose and it turned out to be NG. The valve inside would stick all the time like my old one used to which would freeze up the system. I bought a used unit from a forum member and took the valve from his and put it in mine and it's been working perfectly ever since. (I hope saying that doesn't spell doom!)

It's pretty easy to work on, there are two valves inside in the upper chamber and a desicant bag with moisture absorbing material in the lower one. If yours was working OK, I'd just install a new desicant bag and leave the rest of it alone.
As far as refrigerant, I'm using R-12 and it works perfectly. I wouldn't use Freeze 12 myself, it's a butane based material which is flamable.

I gotta agree about the A6 compressor though, I hate the thing, front seal is designed to weep and eventually sprays oil all over the place. Stupid!
Yeah, I'm on my third compressor and they all threw oil. I finally made a shield for this one to keep the oil off the underside of the hood. If I recall correctly the VIR I took off worked OK so I'm inclined to just get the rebuild kit that contains the dessicant and change that out and then reinstall it with new o-rings.

Get notified of new replies

To AC question.... VIR

Quick Reply: AC question.... VIR