C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Simmo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear upgrade

Im looking at upgrading some parts in the rear.

Toms list a billet steel cap inside to replace the cast one. Am I right in thinking this will need to be align honed after fitting?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM
77TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about align-honing the way you would do with an engine. However, any cap should be properly fitted to have the right "tightness" on the races/bearings that it clamps down.
You'll find details in some of the more popular differential rebuild links on here.

Also, I am just having my whole differential strengthened and rebuilt mainly with Tom's Diff parts. The only item I did not go for was the upgraded cap as it seems that something else would break before that part. Might be a nice insurance, of course....
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,373 Posts

The cap has to be fit. I use Tom's parts in my work and will be building 12 bolts soon. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

The steel cap always has to be fitted. Depending on the housing it could require a minor touch up to major machining. The cap is good upgrade for the 12 bolt conversion that Gary and I will both be doing but you will almost always blow up the stock 10 bolt carrier before you break the stock cap.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Rear upgrade

Quick Reply: Rear upgrade