C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
future_e_squared
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Power steering

So while replacing all 4 of my power steering hoses i went ahead rebuild the pump, 10$ you can't go wrong. I was "bleeding" the system of all the air and i thought i got all the air out, thankfully i decided to take it around the neighborhood first and quickly discovered it was extremely stiff. I followed the pictures from Ecklers and placed the hoses in the right spots. What could still cause this problem? After that drive i left the car running and was turning the wheel to the extreme right and left and still no bubbles or foam in the pump afterward......?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Line blockage somewhere? Check to see if you are getting fluid at all the line junctions. Next see if the pump is making any pressure. Can you see the fluid level changing any when you turn the steering wheel while the car is running?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What exactly did you do to rebuild the pump? Took off the reservoir and replaced the big o-ring? Took out the discharge fitting and replaced the o-ring on it? Replaced the driveshaft seal?

Jim
Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM
future_e_squared
Cruising

I haven't had a chance to check if its making pressure but a blocked line seems like the problem, the control valve was covered in dirt so some might have clogged the line. I replaced all the o rings and the shaft seal
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You may have the flow control valve(pops out when the discharge fitting is removed) and spring in reverse order. Should be spring in first, then valve, then discharge fitting. Ask how I know about this....
Old 12-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I seriously doubt that your problemis a plugged line. A restriction in the line will cause the pump to make a lot of noise before failing. I think it could be that you assembled the control valve incorrectly into the pump.

Make sure that the control valve goes back into the pump with the hex nut first.
Jim
Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

I agree with Jim............................. a lot of those instruction sheets don't have clear pix about re-installing the control valve ! I installed it wrong -- with the valve asm control first and then the spring............. didn't work. Reversed them as in the good pic above and it worked like a charm !

It's nice having an asset like Jim on this forum to help keep us straightened out !!!

Rick
Old 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM
future_e_squared
Cruising

thanks guys your right those guides they sell are crap. I was following one by the letter well i ended up with the end plate not in yet and no where did it say put it back in. Amazingly it wasn't the control valve, it was a missed place o ring on the #24 on the picture the fitting asm. i had put it on a grove short of where i should have put it, and when i moved the o ring up one grove it revealed a tiny hole that allowed fluid through.

thanks everyone,
Gabe
Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Have you seen this site?

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...mp_rebuild.htm

I had the PS pump off this summer for a cam change, painted it and it leaked from the mounting bolts. Hope to use this tech sheet to fix the leaks this summer.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by future_e_squared
thanks guys your right those guides they sell are crap. I was following one by the letter well i ended up with the end plate not in yet and no where did it say put it back in. Amazingly it wasn't the control valve, it was a missed place o ring on the #24 on the picture the fitting asm. i had put it on a grove short of where i should have put it, and when i moved the o ring up one grove it revealed a tiny hole that allowed fluid through.

thanks everyone,
Gabe

i remember a headlight diagram that was wrong at the switch. that thing floated around for a while and you could never narrow down the leak . just didnt make sense, until i think durangoboy redrew the diagram the CORRECT WAY then it all made sense. THE ONLY ONES I GO BUY ARE IN THE aim and sometimes those are (still after 30 years) "waiting for approvals"!! LOL!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Gabe,
Very easy thing to screw up. The o-ring will fit in either groove. I will make note and possibly find a picture of the correct location for the discharge valve o-ring.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To What Power steering

Quick Reply: What Power steering