C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic tranny rebuild

Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Automatic tranny rebuild

Ok all, here is the deal, i have a ford automatic transmission, it is slipping like crazy, and am wondering if it would be a huge mistake to try to rebuild it myself

I have rebuilt a number of engines, and am a machinist by training. I have never been inside of a auto tranny except to install a shift kit.

So what do you all think
Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NUMBER ONE, I am not a Ford hater, they make a decent product, better than most....

I have rebuilt some auto trannies with ONE unknown success rate, and a couple others with known track records as I own them....one is a 999? tranny 3 speed lockup in my work Van...the other is the 200 4r in my '72 vette,

I feel it is doo able for you with a machinest background and with very little backup.....

I think to get the necessary parts....converter, rebuild kit, and TRANS GO shift kit...OR who ever is the really hot lick for Fords....

get the ATSG guide from your parts house...it is essentially a reprint of the factory manual, with some tips on parts and essential upgrades/modifications......READ that first,

when taking the old one apart, lay it out in sequence like the guide blowups show....do this on a 4x8 sheet of ply on some sawhorses....as it comes apart, be really aware of what/where/sequence and pay attention to the guide and pix so when parts come out unexpectedly, you have a clue.....

without a clue, you are clueless.....

taking the clutch packs apart is not all that bad, some thought and a few C clamps can typically do the job....

I bless it all down with gasoline, carb cleaner, and a air jet.....

takes my time, and my last one with the Trans go kit install took my 2 daze....so not so bad for saving 600+ on the labor alone....

If this olde retarred phardt can figger it out, so can you....

Marry Christmas.....I hear she's good in bed....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic tranny rebuild