C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 stroker 327 block

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:38 PM
darsondriss
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 400 stroker 327 block

hey guys i dont have alot of info on this stuff (got a little import myself) but im posting this for my dads 68 vette. Hes got a 327 block and currently has the 400 crank in it. He ran into some problems on the install of it originally becuz the new crank is external balance. He reused the stock flywheel with some balance adaptor plate that he had to beat the crap out of to get it to fit in there and couldnt get the access plate back in right.

Well just recently his clutch has been slipping/rattling alot and we decided to go in and replace it. I think the slipping is probably a result of using a cheap autozone clutch but while we were in there we decided its probably about time to fix the flywheel. Well he got on ebay and bought a nice centerforce clutch and a flywheel and we tore it down. We put the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate on and found that the flywheel was too big to fit in the bellhousing.

what does he need to get to get this car back together again?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
MikeNKalibs6t7Coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like either a different bell or different flywheel / clutch combo, if the clutch has been installed already then return is not a viable option. Then you are looking at a different bellhousing, my money would be spent on a blow proof bell from lakewood or similar company, that way in the event of clutch failure you get to keep your legs and feet hooked together. My 2 cents good luck
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 PM
darsondriss
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ya the problem is going to be convincing my dad to spend money on something The clutch fits in there fine its just getting it over the flywheel, but like i said i dont know much about the measurements of these engines, so idk if someone knew the size of the right flywheel and whatnot.

But ya as you said i would imagine just buying a bigger/better bellhousing would be the smartest idea but idk.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

68s ran a 10.4 clutch/flywheel,and you probably got the 11 inch.Either,get a scattershield,or a 11 inch bellhousing.I sale repop #621 bellhousing cheaper than you will find anywhere else.I also,sale Mcleod scattershields,and SFIs.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditch the bellhousing and don't even think about using one!!! A scattershield is the only way to go... My father knew a guy who had a '68 nova with a pretty stout small block. He power shifted at 7500 on stock clutch assembly and bellhousing, and the clutch exploded. The guy lost his right leg, broke his left leg, and destroyed the car.. My dad also built a cast iron headed L88 for his 68' chevelle. He blew what I think was a Hays clutch. Luckily, he had a scattershield. The clutch distorted the scatterschield so much that it actually dented the floor pan and hit his foot. My dad still walks with both legs today. I just don't see the point on taking a chance.

Get notified of new replies

To 400 stroker 327 block

Quick Reply: 400 stroker 327 block