C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec TKO...get ready for summer....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tremec TKO...get ready for summer....

I am trying to get into the swing of things here again on my parts business,but besides myself feeling the crunch of the economy also,I got frustrated,and just focused on the cars in the shop,and parting some cars,but.......I have redid my pricing,and added to the kits that I offer,and as always....I will offer you whatever you want depending if you want to do your own mods,or if you want a direct bolt in kit.That depends on your skill level,and how much you are wanting to tackle.
It was recently said that "I work out of a garage,and not a real company".I feel like I have to defend myself,and touch on this.I DO work out of a garage...a very BIG garage full of Corvettes,and a even BIGGER garage out back,so...yes,I work out of a garage.I am a legit registered company that pays taxes in the state of Illinois,I have a liscense to resale,and.....I pay 330.00 per month to have that fancy little supporting vendor tag in my aviator.Just like all the other "companies" on here that are supporting vendors.
There are 10 Tremec "elite dealers".I am NOT one of them.I do NOT cover warranty work in house.I am a "authorized reseller" under contract w/Tremec,and my supplier is AMP.They ARE a Tremec elite dealer,and cover any warranty work if that was to arise.I am just the Corvette shop owner that can save you some coin.
I instructed my supplier that the warranties offered in my sales fell short of some of the other vendors,and was told to match the BEST warranty available from any vendor on this forum,or the internet.So...there you go.I OUTDID them!
I have said this before,and will say it again.....a Tremec is a Tremec.None of us vendors of these get a better,or different transmission than the others.The difference is in the parts added to the list of add ons,and the machine work done to the transmission tailshaft,and who makes the shifters.
Alittle about our shifters.We were getting our shifters from Red Roberts of McLeod,and who helped Tremec design these transmissions.These were the same shifters that CC5-speed was using.Keisler designed their own.CC5-speed bought the shifter from Red,and now has Hurst making theirs,but...before this happened Red sold all the remaining shifters to my supplier who has them built now.We just changed the color.In the process of this...a couple people were bumped out of the chain of events,and my cost of the shifters dropped considerably,so I am able to pass that along in my kits.
Here's a couple pictures of AMPs booth at the BJ show a couple weeks ago.They are NOT fly by night,nor am I.They are under contract to do a half million in sales for Tremec per year,and you know what.....that blows me away,but they continue to do it.They are a major player,and there are thousands of satisfied customers over the years.Before CC5-speed was a major player...AMP was their supplier,and still going strong.
Enough of all this....I have tried to put a cost effective kit together,and also,by all my research.....this is the most complete kit available..

TREMEC TKOs.....
500...$2095.00 ( no modifications)
600...$2195.00 (no modifications)
600RR...$2195.00 (no modifications)

4 to 5-speed...
TKO 500...$3242.46
TKO 600/600RR...$3342.46

included in kit...
1.modified TKO 500/600/600RR w/shifter
2.shifter handle
3.trans bracket
4.poly trans mount
5.speedo adapter
6.quick release 1350 slip yoke
7.shortened/balanced driveshaft w/new spicer u-joints
8.reverse light wiring harness
9.neutral safety wiring harness
10.needle roller pilot bushing
11.5-speed shift plate indicator
12.1 yr warranty w/a 2.5 yr activation

Auto to 5-speed...
TKO 500 $4186.50 (69-76 4387.00 w/shift console/77-82 4233.48)
TKO 600/600RR $4286.50 (69-76 4487.00 w/shifter console/77-82 4333.48 w/shifter console)

included in kit.....
1.modified TKO transmission(either 500/600,or 600RR)
2.shifter
3.shifter handle(please specify year for application)
4.Speedo adapter
5.1350 strap style quick release yoke
6.reverse light harness
7.neutral safety switch harness
8.5-speed shift plate indicator
9.bellhousing
10.bellhousing bolts(6)
11.inspection plate cover
12.inspection plate cover screws(4)
13.GM clutch fork dust boot
14.Corvette clutch fork
15.clutch fork ball stud
16.trans to bellhousing bolts(4)
17.clutch fork pin
18.clutch fork push rod
19.clutch fork push rod anti-rattle springs(2)
20.Z-bar
21.clutch cross shaft/Z-bar rebuild kit
22.clutch push rod(top)
23.Clutch push rod return spring
24.clutch push rod swivel
25.clutch push rod swivel jam nuts(2)
26.clutch to push rod spacer
27.G clips(4pk)
28.clutch push rod firewall boot
29.clutch push rod firewall boot screws(3)
30.brake/clutch pedal kit
31.clutch pedal rubber bumper
32.clutch/brake pedal pad(2)
33.clutch/brake pedal SS trim(2)
34.11"flywheel
35.needle roller pilot bushing
36.flywheel bolts w/spiral washers(6)
37.Clutch pressure plate bolts(6)
38.performance clutch kit(includes clutch disk,pressure plate,and throw out bearing)
39.new driveshaft w/new spicer u-joints,cut to length,and balanced
40.trans mount(poly)
41.inner boot on trans tunnel
42.outer boot @ shiftter
43.manual console plate
44.frame bracket
45.trans mount modified to accept trans
46.1 year warranty,and 2.5 year window to install,and activate the warranty of 1 year

Upgrades available......
1.electric speedo block off,and harness..40.00
2.McLeod scattersheild $375.00
3.Center Force dual friction 11' kit(400-500 horse) $389.00
4.Center Force dual friction 12" kit(550-600 horse) $410.00
5.McLeod 600 series 5 piece clutch kit(350-400 horse) $375.00
6.Mcleod 800 series 5-piece clutch kit(400-500 horse) $375.00
7.McLeod RST street twin 5pc clutch kit(550-700 horse) $710.00
8.McLeod RXT street twin 5pc clutch kit(750-1000 horse) $810.00
9.Hyd.clutch assembly
10.Bowtie Overdrive crossmembers $200.00
11.My plates for removeable crossmember w/hardware...50.00

Shipping is 100.00 for the 4 to 5-speed,and 120.00 for the auto to manual kits.This is anywhere in the lower 48 US.

2 of you get together,and purchase...FREE SHIPPING!!
3 of you get together,and purchase...knock 75.00 off,and free shipping.

I am willing to mix up kits,or take away.Whatever you guys want.
I will soon have Richmond kits available too that require no modifications to the crossmembers,the trans,etc.Installs just like a muncie,or Super T10.

Any questions...feel free to call me.
Thanks
Vettes by Design

Last edited by vettesbydesign; 02-07-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Luke303
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kevin, just finishing up my install. Was wondering if you could send out the 5-speed shift plate indicator. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Luke303
Hey Kevin, just finishing up my install. Was wondering if you could send out the 5-speed shift plate indicator. Thanks.
Not a problem.Please pm me your address.they are in stock.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
GrtDanes
Instructor

Do you ship to Canada? This is the best price i've found.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GrtDanes
Do you ship to Canada? This is the best price i've found.
I will ship to Canada,and help you on the border crossing.Not a problem.Please pm me your shipping info.,and will get you a accurate quote to your doorstep.No problem at all.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I believe that installing a manual OD tranny is one of the best upgrades a person can do to their Vette.

Auto transmissions waste power making heat because of the pump and Torque Converter. So right off it is like gaining 25 HP.

The fun factor come back into driving when you are in control.

I do admit that for drag racing or city driving an auto T has some ease of use.

Modern clutches/pressure plates are very superior on petal pressure. I really don't feel that there is a need for hydro clutch petals
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull
I believe that installing a manual OD tranny is one of the best upgrades a person can do to their Vette.

Auto transmissions waste power making heat because of the pump and Torque Converter. So right off it is like gaining 25 HP.

The fun factor come back into driving when you are in control.

I do admit that for drag racing or city driving an auto T has some ease of use.

Modern clutches/pressure plates are very superior on petal pressure. I really don't feel that there is a need for hydro clutch petals
I agree there.I won't drive a auto car,or if I have one...it is no time until it is converted.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM
GrtDanes
Instructor

Will pm you my info and we can talk from there.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Thats a really good price for the 4to5 speed kit. It beats the one I got from CC5 by slightly over $500. The only difference I can see between the two kits is the 2 1/2 year activation on the warranty ( I really like that), my kit came with a complete new speedo cable, and I got a tranny shim pack with mine. I've had mine 18 months and its still sitting on the garage floor............aaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh. March or April its going in!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Will pm you my info and we can talk from there.
I got your pm,but need to know if you are running a manual now,or do you need the auto to 5-speed conversion?
Thank you for your interest,and will send a pm,also.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Thats a really good price for the 4to5 speed kit. It beats the one I got from CC5 by slightly over $500. The only difference I can see between the two kits is the 2 1/2 year activation on the warranty ( I really like that), my kit came with a complete new speedo cable, and I got a tranny shim pack with mine. I've had mine 18 months and its still sitting on the garage floor............aaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh. March or April its going in!!!
I don't know what the other companies sell their kits for.I just try to do what I can comfortably,and offer it at that.I also,have to HOPE to be cheaper,or the guys will go w/the bigger known forum vendors.

On my auto to 5-speed conversions.....I HAVE to sale the Tremec at a cost that Tremec sets.That's the same for me,and everyone else that sales these,so I make a few bucks there.I'm a dealer for several places,and EVERY part in my kit is at MY cost.I am not making a penny on the 40 plus extra parts to make the conversion.NOT A PENNY!!!That's for real,and how I am able to bring these prices to the table.It's the only way that I can be competitive,and hope to stir some interest in my kits.

I also,don't have the overhead that these "transmission only" vendors have.I build vettes here,and in the process of doing these cars here @ the shop over the last several years...I have built good relationships w/several vendors,and set up accounts,so I get parts discounted,and able to pass the savings on.

Thanks for the input on the speedo cable,and shims.I didn't think of adding that to my kits,and when hanging the pedals would be a great time for the speedo cable replacement/install.

I spent yesterday afternoon at the machine shop here local,and we got the first set of my own pedals almost done.As soon as I install them in Jack's 68 here,and I give the thumbs up,then will be having several clutch/brake pedals made,and will be able to add them to my kits,and reduce the price further.Right now....my cost is 209.00 for the pair.I will be selling mine for around 180.00 shipped anywhere in the lower US 48 w/new pedal rubbers,new SS trim,new bushing,and new brake return spring.I should be able to knock another 30-35.00 off my auto to manual kits.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
GrtDanes
Instructor

I was running a manual but it seemed to of quit on me.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Luke303
Luke....the shifter indicator i9s shipped,and on it's way to you.
Please let us know your thoughts when you get this ol'girl on the road.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

I was running a manual but it seemed to of quit on me.
pm ing w/shipping quote.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesbydesign
I will ship to Canada,and help you on the border crossing.Not a problem.Please pm me your shipping info.,and will get you a accurate quote to your doorstep.No problem at all.
VBD:
PM sent Re: my postal code in Canada.

shmoky

Last edited by shmoky; 02-08-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

I want to offer a BIG...THANK YOU to smoky above,and a apology.There was a error in the prices for the 4 to 5-speed conversions above.It doesn't matter how,but I am the owner,and the one responsible,so I offer the apology.

I HAVE to sale the transmissions at a certain cost to the public,or I am in violation of the contract that I signed w/Tremec.ALL sellers of these trans have to sell at the bottom amount atleast.They can mark them up to whatever they want,but not below.
ALL,and I mean all the additional parts that Tremec has no interest in....I am selling at MY cost.That is honest.I am the little guy,and I have to do this to be competitive in my pricing.I AM making alittle money on the trans themselves,but look at the other parts as just moving parts for my vendors,so they will be happy,cause they are making money,I am making money,and I am still saving you money for a great product,and upgrade to your vette.

Again....I don't know how I didn't notice this before,but I am sincerely sorry,and only human.I'm sorry.
Kevin Gilliam
VBD
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

ttt....

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec TKO...get ready for summer....

Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

ttt....
Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

ttt....
Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Quick Reply: Tremec TKO...get ready for summer....