C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Vette - Battery Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:38 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Deep Cycle Battery, definition:
Ability to store voltage over a long period of time completely draining (deep) the reserve then recharging the unit over & over (cycles).
Ideal for small boats trolling motors and / or larger boats interior lighting / appliances while the main engine charging system is off.
Ideal for golf carts and other small electric vehicles without charging systems.
Ideal for RV campers, motorhomes where lighting and appliances are used when the main engine charging system is off.
Ideal for hunting cabins without a 110V systems throughout, but may have a solar charging system.
Usually has lower cranking amps than a automotive starting type battery.

Now, does this sound like something you want behind the drivers seat?

Only Rich People Can Afford Cheap Batteries.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 12-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:49 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I think I'll just go with a Costco or Walmart one...group 24 is the one that will fit right?
Old 12-25-2018, 09:15 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

And that's fine if you want to do that every couple of yrs. And I don't remember the size group. Its been so long ago.

Myself, I did not enjoy removing an old cheap battery out of that tight battery box. Nothing but Optima Red from here on out. Been nine yrs. It gets a Deltran Battery Tender every winter. And I put that on a electronic timer, just three hrs a day.

Some people think they are clever and wise. They will buy a $50 battery every year instead of a $200 battery every ten yrs.

Only the rich can afford cheap batteries.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:25 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Costco Kirkland batteries which are no longer sold by Costco are by FAR the best batteries I have owned. I had multiple kirkland batteries that lasted easy 10 years in Daily Drivers and my 78 C3 as well as Mustang GT 5.0. The latter 2 cars sit 99.9% of the time and the batteries last 10+ years as well. The secret folks for extreme longevity for batteries is NOT deep cell batteries or Opitima Batteries (waste of money, in my opinion based on my former comments and experience) is to always use a battery disconnect when the cars are not driven (DD excepted of course). I too have had great longevity with Walmart Batteries. I do not and will not pay more than $100 for any battery...they are pretty much all the same. Most of the mass market retailers like Advanced, Autozone etc are a complete rip off with batteries. How do i know? I just replaced my $150 Advanced Auto battery in my Chrysler 300, 3 years to the day this month, after install...that is by far the shortest life I ever have experienced in all the batteries over all the years...total crap....should have gone to Costco or Walmart...lesson learned.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 12-25-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:44 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Costco Kirkland batteries which are no longer sold by Costco are by FAR the best batteries I have owned. I had multiple kirkland batteries that lasted easy 10 years in Daily Drivers and my 78 C3 as well as Mustang GT 5.0. The latter 2 cars sit 99.9% of the time and the batteries last 10+ years as well. The secret folks for extreme longevity for batteries is NOT deep cell batteries or Opitima Batteries (waste of money, in my opinion based on my former comments and experience) is to always use a battery disconnect when the cars are not driven (DD excepted of course). I too have had great longevity with Walmart Batteries. I do not and will not pay more than $100 for any battery...they are pretty much all the same. Most of the mass market retailers like Advanced, Autozone etc are a complete rip off with batteries. How do i know? I just replaced my $150 Advanced Auto battery in my Chrysler 300, 3 years to the day this month, after install...that is by far the shortest life I ever have experienced in all the batteries over all the years...total crap....should have gone to Costco or Walmart...lesson learned.
costco doesn’t carry Kirkland batteries anymore? Did this happen recently? I thought I had seen them when I last went.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:09 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by titanle

costco doesn’t carry Kirkland batteries anymore? Did this happen recently? I thought I had seen them when I last went.
They sold the kirkland brand batteries for years which were made by Johnson Controls but they are no longer sold by Costco. They now sell interstate batteries but not quite the bargain price they once were like the kirkland BUT a very good battery. I had to get a battery quickly for my daughter's grand prix this year and went to Autozone to replace the 12 year old kirkland battery that I killed by accident leaving the radar detector on during an extreme cold spell and paid $169 for a duralast battery...ridiculous......
Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I have a commercial account with O'Reilleys......I use their 770 CCA battery with top and side posts. I recommend this highly because jumping or charging is much easier with top and side posts. My account allows me a real time warranty as my reciepts are saved in their system. They just warranty anything I bring in anyway because I spend a lot of money there. I also use a knife blade kill switch on the positive side for when it sits.
I save a ton of money on batteries with a commercial account......if you do a lot of work in your garage......see if your local joint will set you up.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 12-26-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 69 Vette - Battery Recommendations