C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator mount when going to headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Sweet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator mount when going to headers

I have a 1970 corvette 350 motor, short water pump, high driver side mounted alternator. I want to get a set of Hedders, My alternator is mounted to the exhaust manifold. If I change to headers I'll need a bracket to support my alternator. I do not want anything overly fancy just something that looks stock in painted steel or chrome.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:10 PM
edmccarthy
Advanced

Default headers

I got a set of headmans from Summit, They sell a bracket to use with headers. Although I forgot to order it when I ordered the headers, haven't installed them yet but check Summit.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alternator Mounting

Hey Sweet,
This is just my humble opinion. Check out the stock 1974 thru 1982 small block lower alternator bracket. It is a great design, made of cast iron for rigidity, and it eliminates the need for the poorly designed bracketry it replaces. It bolts directly to the threaded holes in your driverside head. This will allow you to run a stock top bracket(curved flat slotted adjustment bracket), which I cut back a few inches, and utilized one of the mounting bolts for the new lower bracket to mount to, instead of top waterpump bolt. That waterpump bolt on my engine passes thru to the waterjacket, and once sealed, did not want to disturb when adjusting belt tension on alternator. These brackets are routinely sold on fleabay for "peanuts", and being cast iron, cleanup and refinish to like new.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you don't have holes in the front of those heads I'd also recommend getting away from that header bracket mount system. I fussed with that for years on a car that had the 'ol camel hump heads w/o threaded holes in front and was so happy the day I got some new heads and was free of that horrible mounting system. Something to think about. Jegs also sells some inexpensive brackets for just alternator - much cheaper than March brackets but looks/functions just as good.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by willem wallace
Hey Sweet,
This is just my humble opinion. Check out the stock 1974 thru 1982 small block lower alternator bracket. It is a great design, made of cast iron for rigidity, and it eliminates the need for the poorly designed bracketry it replaces. It bolts directly to the threaded holes in your driverside head. This will allow you to run a stock top bracket(curved flat slotted adjustment bracket), which I cut back a few inches, and utilized one of the mounting bolts for the new lower bracket to mount to, instead of top waterpump bolt. That waterpump bolt on my engine passes thru to the waterjacket, and once sealed, did not want to disturb when adjusting belt tension on alternator. These brackets are routinely sold on fleabay for "peanuts", and being cast iron, cleanup and refinish to like new.
That's what I have, it doesn't care what kind of exhaust you have.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

This is how it is done.

This piece is bolted to the block using the two header screws on the #1 cylinder header. I found that I needed to replace these two screws with slightly longer ones to adequately hold the bracket and keep the bolts from backing out under heat/vibration. But that will depend on the thickness of the bracket you select and your header flanges.

This piece then bolts to the two slotted holes. The slots on the first piece are to allow for front/rear adjustment. The alternator is actually "sandwiched" between the other two holes.

This piece is held at its base by a water pump bolt. The alternator is bolted to the curved slot that allows for tensioning the belt.

All of these, with lots more, are available at Summit Racing.

Last edited by toddalin; 03-16-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
mdj21
Racer

Originally Posted by willem wallace
That waterpump bolt on my engine passes thru to the waterjacket, and once sealed, did not want to disturb when adjusting belt tension on alternator.
That water pump bolt is supposed to have a threaded stud on it with a nut to attach that curved bar for the alt to. You should not have to disturb the seal of the water pump bolt just to adjust the alt.

Sounds to me like you are not using the right bolt there.

Last edited by mdj21; 03-17-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator mount when going to headers

Quick Reply: Alternator mount when going to headers