C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive bleeder question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i used denatured alocohol it seemed to work the best, especially with the silicone fluid i use in the antique cars, you can buy it at Home depot in gallon containers....also you do not have to put fluid in the container....and you can just use it as a pressure vessel and only use the fluid in the MC....you just have to a watch how much fluid comes out and be sure not to run the MC dry.

there is no mess at all but you do have to check the MC reservoir often. but since i didnt make a mess or have to clean anything it was a good trade

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks for that, might get it at HD. amazon 1 pint 13 bucks, 1 quart 9 bucks. kinda high.

How much do you guys use to clean it afterwards? I think I only need 1 quart, probably good for 3,4 uses or something
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

several applications of 4-5 oz. the denatured alcohol is a great cleaner if you do much stuff in the garage buy a gallon at HD or lowes or walmart

when everything appears dry you know you got itall out

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

What other stuff do you use it on?

Think I read that it works just like brake cleaner but not as harsh.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by okaythen
What other stuff do you use it on?

Think I read that it works just like brake cleaner but not as harsh.
well when i first used it i used the rubbing alcohol since i didnt have deantured alcohol, then tried the brake clean but it wasnt economical for cleaning it several times, then went to denatured alcohol....then went to using it dry so i didnt have to clean it.

when its clean there is no shininess in the container it almost looks porous or hazy
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
....also you do not have to put fluid in the container....and you can just use it as a pressure vessel and only use the fluid in the MC....you just have to a watch how much fluid comes out and be sure not to run the MC dry.

there is no mess at all but you do have to check the MC reservoir often. but since i didnt make a mess or have to clean anything it was a good trade

I never put the fluid in the container, just use it as a pressure source, yes you need to check the MC to make sure it doesn't empty but i'd rather do that then have this bucket of brake-fluid sitting there ready to leak/spill/drip etc

M
Old 06-07-2018, 11:57 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mooser

I never put the fluid in the container, just use it as a pressure source, yes you need to check the MC to make sure it doesn't empty but i'd rather do that then have this bucket of brake-fluid sitting there ready to leak/spill/drip etc

M
i never mastered the end task where you depressurize it and disconnect it with the fluid still in it with out making a freaking mess....
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I use the Motive the way it was designed. It's been a while, but to unhook it, I think I depressurized it and removed the hose from the top of the Motive. Then you can just lower the hose to drain out as much fluid in the hose as you can by lowering it below the MC end. Then just keep the coiled up hose above the MC end while you remove it from the MC. No mess.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:11 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by F4Gary
I use the Motive the way it was designed. It's been a while, but to unhook it, I think I depressurized it and removed the hose from the top of the Motive. Then you can just lower the hose to drain out as much fluid in the hose as you can by lowering it below the MC end. Then just keep the coiled up hose above the MC end while you remove it from the MC. No mess.
yes that sounds like a good way to do it...i just never figured out how to get the hose lower then the top of the MC and get that last several ounces out of it...dont get me wrong i like the motive power bleeder and have used it on all my old cars. I am just a messy marvin at the end...some times i even bled it until the hose was clear. and then used lots of shop towels, to avoid the mess.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I'll never quite understand why some insist on using the Motive bleeder as just a pressure source rather than as it is intended. It has to be extremely inconvenient to keep removing the cover to fill the MC and then resealing it over and over, risking bleeding the MC dry. Most of the virtues of the bleeder is in being able to fill it once with a quart or two of fluid and bleed until complete, just monitoring the fluid level in the tank.
I certainly don't understand the "it makes a mess" argument. It's easy to terminate the bleeding process without making a mess.
When all calipers are bled, lower and tilt the tank until the remaining fluid is away from the hose connection port. The hose will contain fluid. With the tank pumped to normal bleeding pressure open the left front caliper bleeder and watch as the hose empties and the fluid is pumped into the MC. As soon as the hose is completely empty shut the caliper bleeder. Release the bleeder pressure and remove the apparatus. Top off the MC if required.
The following 3 users liked this post by revitup:
Bikespace (06-14-2018), bobs77vet (06-07-2018), jim-81 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:13 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by revitup
I'll never quite understand why some insist on using the Motive bleeder as just a pressure source rather than as it is intended. It has to be extremely inconvenient to keep removing the cover to fill the MC and then resealing it over and over, risking bleeding the MC dry. Most of the virtues of the bleeder is in being able to fill it once with a quart or two of fluid and bleed until complete, just monitoring the fluid level in the tank.
I certainly don't understand the "it makes a mess" argument. It's easy to terminate the bleeding process without making a mess.
When all calipers are bled, lower and tilt the tank until the remaining fluid is away from the hose connection port. The hose will contain fluid. With the tank pumped to normal bleeding pressure open the left front caliper bleeder and watch as the hose empties and the fluid is pumped into the MC. As soon as the hose is completely empty shut the caliper bleeder. Release the bleeder pressure and remove the apparatus. Top off the MC if required.
that is an excellent write up.....and i will try it next time. i can see where that would work great. i wish i had thought of that before. thanks

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-07-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you want to use the Motive bleeder as a pressure source you just need to fit 1/4" air tool connectors to it. This is what I use. The newer style bleeder has brass fitting on the hose and reservoir cover attachments. I just used air tool fittings and made them quick release. This way I avoid the mess of filling the Bleeder with fluid, and I can connect and disconnect quickly to refill the master without losing pressure.

Last edited by Sigforty; 06-07-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

First time using denatured alcohol, I got the sunnyside brand so where and how do you store it? Ok to put it in garage, garage got a water heater and I am in desert area so it's hot. Read that people put it in a plastic bottle? because aluminum it will corrode? Ok to just leave it in the can it came with? I read the safety warning and it sounds pretty scary, blindness, fatal, don't use in closed area like bathroom or garage, don't get too much on your skin, don't inhale etc etc. Is it really that scary lol.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by okaythen
First time using denatured alcohol, I got the sunnyside brand so where and how do you store it? Ok to put it in garage, garage got a water heater and I am in desert area so it's hot. Read that people put it in a plastic bottle? because aluminum it will corrode? Ok to just leave it in the can it came with? I read the safety warning and it sounds pretty scary, blindness, fatal, don't use in closed area like bathroom or garage, don't get too much on your skin, don't inhale etc etc. Is it really that scary lol.
I guess that's to scare away numb nuts from drinking it....no more dangerous then gasoline, kerosene or mineral spirits. I store it in its container I purchased it in. its good to store things properly labeled.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

lol thanks for that, I will just leave it in the garage

Quick Reply: Motive bleeder question