C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug wires keep burning up from header heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update, I ordered some of the boots myself. Glad to hear things are working.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

update... wish I wasn't posting this.... BUT... the new boots fried also.. they went longer but they finally fried .... now I am going to try the Jacobs ceramic boots and wires... There black but I seem to have no choice... I will update when the boots and wires come in, and then after a good 3 hour hunt and destroy mission around pch and the 405 on these hot summer days...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by pauldana
update... wish I wasn't posting this.... BUT... the new boots fried also.. they went longer but they finally fried .... now I am going to try the Jacobs ceramic boots and wires... There black but I seem to have no choice... I will update when the boots and wires come in, and then after a good 3 hour hunt and destroy mission around pch and the 405 on these hot summer days...
I was just on the phone with Summit to discuss the Jacobs wires, I have the same issue with my plug wires. I wanted to try #1 and #3 wires before I ordered the whole set. I can't use the straight nor the 90* ends, due to header clerance. The only option I have is the 115* ends and I don't want to buy the whole set at $150 just to find out they will not fit (I normally run the 135* boots). The sales rep said that the manufacture usually sells replacement wires but that he did not show the part number for the replacements, he gave me the phone number to Accel to talk to their tech dept.

Keep us posted on how they work.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I placed an order for the Ceramic Accel 9002C 115 degree on Amazon. They are out of stock, but $114.91 with free shipping. I have time before I need them so I'll wait for them to get back in stock.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok... went to the local speed shop today to see if they had the Jacobs ceramic and what they thought... here is what I was told,,
..."We used to carry those wires but the plug wires would burn off the boot, the boot stayed in great condition, so we keep getting them back, so we finally stopped carrying them"

now with that said to me.. I saw they had these silver mettle boot covers.

So here is what I did, I put the steal sleeve boot covers over my blue fiberglass boot covers which went over my new high heat boots....

here are the pics and I will post after the next hot run this week or when they, if they, go bad...

you sure can tell when they go bad... car runs like poo
Attached Images       
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i could be wrong but i still say not enough timing......too much exhaust temp........
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, I hope it works but steel will be just as hot on one side as the other. You need a thermal insulator not a conductor.

Maybe put something like this ultra ceramic gasket material between the wire and your steel sleeve, it good to 2600 deg. and pretty thin. I've never done this, it's just an idea but it would keep the heat away from the wire and boot.

Kind of expensive though............

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ceramic-gasket-sheets/=29odhq
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I posted my trick a while back. Here it is again. My 75' 4x4 constantly burned through the spark plug boots. I run Percy's header gaskets. They are the aluminum ones and don't blow out if something loosens up. Suddenly I thought hmm why not double stack them. No leaks, and I never burned another boot. FYI, I never tried the red boots, only had MSD gray. It may be worth a try, it worked for me.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Years ago I had some really insidious plug boot burns, and so went for 8 Jacobs ceramic boots, problem solved, just slid them over the wires that were on the car, and sealed the wire ends with RTV to keep moisture outta there.....

works well for some 3 years now...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 237 Posts

Paul,

Your headers aren't Jet Hot coated are they? That makes a huge difference in the heat the plug wires and boots have to put up with.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by midyearvette
i could be wrong but i still say not enough timing......too much exhaust temp........
do you mean to much timing? im at 36* max

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Paul, I hope it works but steel will be just as hot on one side as the other. You need a thermal insulator not a conductor.

the tubs have some sort of insolator on the back side, and there rigitaty keeps them from touching the header, and works goos(i hope) for IR heat transmission..

Maybe put something like this ultra ceramic gasket material between the wire and your steel sleeve, it good to 2600 deg. and pretty thin. I've never done this, it's just an idea but it would keep the heat away from the wire and boot.

Kind of expensive though............

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ceramic-gasket-sheets/=29odhq
maybe lastly.... right before I pull my hare out..

Originally Posted by 73BLWN
I posted my trick a while back. Here it is again. My 75' 4x4 constantly burned through the spark plug boots. I run Percy's header gaskets. They are the aluminum ones and don't blow out if something loosens up. Suddenly I thought hmm why not double stack them. No leaks, and I never burned another boot. FYI, I never tried the red boots, only had MSD gray. It may be worth a try, it worked for me.
Hmmmm... wonder why that worked?

Originally Posted by mrvette
Years ago I had some really insidious plug boot burns, and so went for 8 Jacobs ceramic boots, problem solved, just slid them over the wires that were on the car, and sealed the wire ends with RTV to keep moisture outta there.....

works well for some 3 years now...

My most likly next step if this dos not work

Originally Posted by v2racing
Paul,

Your headers aren't Jet Hot coated are they? That makes a huge difference in the heat the plug wires and boots have to put up with.
What is that???

Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

no i mean not enough....too much retard will increase exhaust temp.....or restricted exhaust.....what is your timing at cruise??.....36 total is meaningless if you are not running enough at cruise, at cruise and off idle....
Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

What is that???
Jet Hot is a ceramic coating that works as a heat barrier. The surface temp of your headers can run several hundred degrees cooler with this coating. In other words it keeps the heat inside the headers instead of on the outside. It will make a big difference in the under hood temps and the temp of the floors under your feet too. It also looks good.

Do you have a vacuum advance on your distributor? If not you may be running a little retarded at cruise and this will make for higher exhaust temps. At what RPM is your mechanical advance all in and what is your initial timing at?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

no i mean not enough....too much retard will increase exhaust temp.....or restricted exhaust.....what is your timing at cruise??.....36 total is meaningless if you are not running enough at cruise, at cruise and off idle....
Jet Hot is a ceramic coating that works as a heat barrier. The surface temp of your headers can run several hundred degrees cooler with this coating. In other words it keeps the heat inside the headers instead of on the outside. It will make a big difference in the under hood temps and the temp of the floors under your feet too. It also looks good.

Do you have a vacuum advance on your distributor? If not you may be running a little retarded at cruise and this will make for higher exhaust temps. At what RPM is your mechanical advance all in and what is your initial timing at?
ok... im learning something new here... I always thought to much timing makes it run hotter... yes I have both mechanical and vacuum advance. Not sure what the timing is at cruse so I will check it tomorrow.... should i check at around 3,000 rpm... and then bring max up to 38*?

this heat stuff... is it a spray on? a wrap on? or??? do you have a picture of it in use and a web-address to buy it?... thx
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

ok... im learning something new here... I always thought to much timing makes it run hotter... yes I have both mechanical and vacuum advance. Not sure what the timing is at cruse so I will check it tomorrow.... should i check at around 3,000 rpm... and then bring max up to 38*?

this heat stuff... is it a spray on? a wrap on? or??? do you have a picture of it in use and a web-address to buy it?... thx
If you look at my avatar you will see my engine with Jet Hot coated headers. It is applied similar to powder coating then baked in a big oven. You would have to remove your headers and send them to Jet Hot or one of there authorized dealers.

Max timing should be good between 34 to 36. The issue would be more about what rpm your distributor comes all in mechanical and how much timing increase your vacuum advance is giving you at cruise.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get headers glowing cherry red without enough timing. I'd make sure the distributor weights are operating freely and the vacuum advance is working. I've had good luck timing by ear. Just advance it until you notice some detonation under load (you'll know it when you hear it) and then back it off some.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If you look at my avatar you will see my engine with Jet Hot coated headers. It is applied similar to powder coating then baked in a big oven. You would have to remove your headers and send them to Jet Hot or one of there authorized dealers.

Max timing should be good between 34 to 36. The issue would be more about what rpm your distributor comes all in mechanical and how much timing increase your vacuum advance is giving you at cruise.
Originally Posted by jdmick

You can get headers glowing cherry red without enough timing. I'd make sure the distributor weights are operating freely and the vacuum advance is working. I've had good luck timing by ear. Just advance it until you notice some detonation under load (you'll know it when you hear it) and then back it off some.
At what RPM would you have full advance in? running a Edelbrock roller RPM cam
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

At what RPM would you have full advance in? running a Edelbrock roller RPM cam
all in at 3 or 4 thousand......your pick.....

Quick Reply: spark plug wires keep burning up from header heat