C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wipers at all - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wipers at all - Help!

Here is the abridged story:

Wipers and the delay all worked fine on my 81. I installed a new carb and was hooking up the choke. I ran the wire from the choke that needed 12v+ to what I thought was a 12v keyed wire (WRONG!)....the purple wire on the wiper motor. As soon as I turned on the key to see if the choke worked, the windshield wipers came on even though the switch was off (backfeeding a ground??). I turned the key off, then pulled the connector off the wiper motor so I could hook up the volt meter on the back of the connector. As soon as I turned the key on, the little diode started smoking at the wiper motor connector. I immediatly turned the key off and plugged the connector back in. At that point, everything worked WITH the choke wired to the purple wire...delay, low, high except I could not turn the wipers off.

So, I obviously screwed something up. Here's what I tested after I pulled the choke wire off.

Center wire on the wiper motor connector has power with the key on like it should. I powered up the motor and was able to get slow, high and park. But, with everything hooked up, I get nothing except a click from the back of the passenger seat when operating the wiper switch.

I replaced the diode that was smoking, but that didn't do anything. Help! What the heck did I kill?

Quick Reply: No wipers at all - Help!