C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Wiper Switch in Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Wiper Switch in Car?

Is it possible to test the wiper switch in the car on my 81? I think I've narrowed down my problems to the switch, but would like to test it as much as possible before pulling the dash apart to get it out.

My thoughts are that I should see continuity to ground at the wiper motor connector on the two outer pins when at various speeds/settings on the switch. Should this work? Any other ideas on how to do this?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
wiguy
Advanced

I just went thru this excercise. If your dash is anything like the one on my 79 you will have to pull the switch out to test it anyway. Get the doc off of Willcox on cleaning/repairing the switch and go thru the steps. Worked like a champ for me.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Originally Posted by wiguy
I just went thru this excercise. If your dash is anything like the one on my 79 you will have to pull the switch out to test it anyway. Get the doc off of Willcox on cleaning/repairing the switch and go thru the steps. Worked like a champ for me.
How long did it take to get the switch out, then reinstalled?

Any one else have thoughts on testing the switch in the car?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have a great write up on my site by Forum Member Dale Wilson. It shows in detail how to rebuild and repair the 78-82 wiper switch. http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=249

The wiper switch is not hard to get out and I also have instructions on doing this on the site at this link. http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=124

Due to the confined area of the switch and location it would be pretty hard to test it in the car.

It used to take me half an hour to get this switch out of the car, but today it would probably take me an hour or more.

In the instruction sheet we created there is a note about the screw that holds the wiper switch in place. . . . Pay very close attention to this part of the instruction sheet! If you break the nub on the back of the dash pad it is very difficult to repair.

Willcox Inc.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I have a great write up on my site by Forum Member Dale Wilson. It shows in detail how to rebuild and repair the 78-82 wiper switch. http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=249

The wiper switch is not hard to get out and I also have instructions on doing this on the site at this link. http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=124

Due to the confined area of the switch and location it would be pretty hard to test it in the car.

It used to take me half an hour to get this switch out of the car, but today it would probably take me an hour or more.

In the instruction sheet we created there is a note about the screw that holds the wiper switch in place. . . . Pay very close attention to this part of the instruction sheet! If you break the nub on the back of the dash pad it is very difficult to repair.

Willcox Inc.
Excellent write up, thanks for the info. I was thinking of testing it in the car because there are wires going to the switch already. Theoretically, testing at the end of the wire should be the same as testing at the terminals on the switch assuming there is no bad wiring.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

No problem and good luck!

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Test Wiper Switch in Car?

Quick Reply: Test Wiper Switch in Car?