C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manifold donut gasket help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM
scott2173
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default manifold donut gasket help please

ok guys i need some help i dont know what im doing wrong never had this much trouble with a donut gasket.
i have the stock manifolds on my 71 and the passenger side donut gasket ive replaced and tightened up put lock washers on and locktite and it still keeps getting loose.
when i replaced it they had 2 different donut gaskets one was steel and one was the regular i guess espestes gasket one i got the regular one thinking the surface in there is no way perfect enough to seal with a smooth steel surface.
do i need the steel one ?
whats the deal with this thing its a real pain in the a@# to keep getting under there to tighten it up.
oh btw the drivers side is fine no problem replaced it tightened it up drove a bit let it cool tightened it more never a problem.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The better gasket is the Felpro brand. The steel gasket was used by Ford several years ago. I have sold both the fiber and steel. The fiber is more forgiving. The only way I see you having a problem with the gasket [either one} is that you are not getting the pipe and manifold lined up correctly and then vibration of road, engine or whatever allows the pipe to move. Try a muffler shop to get it up in the air and i`ll bet they can resolve your problem very inexpensively and maybe for nothing if presented to them correctly.....
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 PM
scott2173
Instructor

oh when i replaced them i had it on a lift
i just dont have one here
and i used the as you say fiber one
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I realize it may be a silly question, but do you have the heat riser or spacer on the passenger side between the manifold and the pipe?

GUSTO
Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

try an all steel self locking nut on the studs. the lock washers and lock tight may not be able to handle the heat and thermal expansion and contraction. some times the original lock nuts are damaged if they are removed with an impact gun and will feel tight when cold but loosen when hot. mds...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
scott2173
Instructor

yes the heat riser/ spacer is there
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you putting the sleeve inside when you put it back together ?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by scott2173
yes the heat riser/ spacer is there
I only asked because the passenger side manifold is flat on the bottom to match the top of the heat riser. A flat gasket goes between them. The bottom of the heat riser has the taper to accept the donut. If the heat riser were installed upside down there would be no taper and the donut would have difficulty seating properly.

Another thing is to be sure the EXHAUST DONUT ALIGNMENT SLEEVE that holds the donut in place is in good shape to properly position the donut.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I only asked because the passenger side manifold is flat on the bottom to match the top of the heat riser. A flat gasket goes between them. The bottom of the heat riser has the taper to accept the donut. If the heat riser were installed upside down there would be no taper and the donut would have difficulty seating properly.

Another thing is to be sure the EXHAUST DONUT ALIGNMENT SLEEVE that holds the donut in place is in good shape to properly position the donut.

Good luck... GUSTO
This sounds like your problem.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
scott2173
Instructor

i can get my hand down in ther when its running and feel where its coming from below the riser and i can get it tightened up and its great and dosent leak for about 2 weeks then i start to hear it leaking again so i go to my friends lift and tighten it again
my friend even checked what your saying to see if it was above the riser while it was on the lift running and he had a welding glove on and thats when we replaced the donut.
i guess ill take it to a muffler shop tomarrow and hope they dont break the studs off with a impact
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can also use tall brass nuts on the studs. They won't seize on the studs, and there's enough extra threads they usually don't back off. If the sleeve is inside the donut and everything is reasonably square, you'll be done with this problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with MDS, you should not usr lock washers, use the steel lock nuts. Also check to make sure that the studs are not backing out ........ I have seen manifolds where the threads were all shot and the studs were not holding.

Steve
Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GUSTO14

Good luck... GUSTO

I thought those were for BB's? I didn't use these when I had a SB.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paranoid
I thought those were for BB's? I didn't use these when I had a SB.
They go on both.Keeps the donut from being forced in which will cause constant tightening of the 3 nuts to have to be done as the OP is having to do.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM
scott2173
Instructor

well i took it to the local muffler shop and there was a guy there that said oh ya we can fix that right up for ya no problem .................i said im afraid if you hit it with a impact it might break the stud..............he said oh no we aint gonna break it.
they took it apart cleaned it all up with a wire wheel and put back togather with new gasket i already had and put new locking nuts on it and well its not leaking as of yet we will see in 2 weeks

Get notified of new replies

To manifold donut gasket help please

Quick Reply: manifold donut gasket help please