C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Munci 4-speed rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 08:39 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Munci 4-speed rebuild

I am going to rebuild my munci 4-speed. I was hoping for some info/help from some of you who has done this or know about the rebuild. Are there any manuals or web sights out there that might have some kind of schematic/diagram? Its probably not that hard its just getting everything put back in order and in the right place. Any info or help to a fellow vette lover will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am right in the middle of a frame off restoration on a 69 vert!!! I have the chasis already finished. Now I am starting on the transmission and engine rebuild.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:59 PM
jbroughton
Racer

Default Re: Munci 4-speed rebuild (Steve Adkins)

Steve, I just ordered a rebuild manual off of e-bay from Larry Low at JLL Racing, in Woodstock Georgia. He sells them on e-bay for $25. I haven't had a chance to get into it in detail yet, but it appears to be very complete, with several exploded views of the transmission along with several web site suggestions.

They are - http://www.autogear.net/pdfs/munciecat.pdf http://www.gearzone.net http://www.interlog.com/~muncie/

It appears that the manual has a lot of good information, and I consider it money well spent. Each page is even enclosed in a plastic sleeve so that you can keep it with you as you work without having to worry about getting grease on the pages!

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Jeff Broughton

:yesnod:
Old 02-10-2002, 11:32 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

II rebuilt my muncie many yaers ago. Many of the older Chiltons and Haynes manuals have an exploded diagrahm and this is all that I used. If you can get the books that Jeff spoke of, then that will help make things easier. There really is not too much to it. Very simple, but I recommend that you don't invite freinds over and save the beer for after you're done. :D The best advice I can give you is to clear off a LARGE workbench and lay the parts out in the order they are removed. This will gaurantee that nothing gets mixed up or goes back in wrong. Once the parts are all laid out in the proper order, you can replace and clean the pieces that need replacing/cleaning. The reason I say to do it without an audience is so you don't have friends picking up pieces askinf "what's this for" and then putting them down in the wrong spot.

Good luck, Tom
Old 02-11-2002, 11:15 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Be sure the rebuild kit includes a countershaft. Many don't.

Also, I recommend getting new forks and sliders. They don't come with the rebuild kit, but are not that expensive. Worn sliders/forks will make the tranny jump out of gear when letting off the throttle.

I used the diagrams and instructions in the haynes manual and found it pretty good.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Default Re: Munci 4-speed rebuild (jbroughton)

Thanks for the info. I am alomost finished with the rebuild. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Get notified of new replies

To Munci 4-speed rebuild

Quick Reply: Munci 4-speed rebuild