C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential seal question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:00 PM
1976 corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Differential seal question

I bought my 76 corvette about a year ago and put it straight to storage because all my money was being invested into my 68 frame off restoration. Now that the garage is finally free of the 68 chassis I brought the 76 back home. I jacked it up to see what had to be done before I could consider it to be reliable on the road. When I did this, I noticed that the pinion seal had been broken. As you can see in the picture al the oil was splashed along the fiberglass that surrounded the pinion seal. I don’t know if it is currently broken or if it has broke some time in its life but I want to replace the pinion seal just to be sure. How can I do this without removing the differential? Any advice on how to do it? Are there any how to articles on replacing the seal?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM
crvtownr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe it can be done by removing the driveshaft and giving access to the front of the diff, but if I remember correctly that gives you very little room to work in. If it were me, I would drop the rear gear and replace the seal.

Do a search on pinion seal replacement and there is some great info on it.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM
movinup
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did my 70 and left it in the car. I dropped the rear so it hung by the trailing arms leaving the half shafts attached and tilted the front of the rear down enough to get to the seal after pulling the yoke. Still have to remove the spare tire carrier first.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you pull the driveshaft and the front differential mount, you can get an impact in there to remove the yoke. Mark where the nut is in relation to the pinion shaft and work carefully. If you can break it loose and then count how many turns to get it off, you cna get it back close to the same place. I think GTR1999 has a paper somewhere on how to do this.
TIP> pack the cavity on the seal with grease. When you drive the seal back in, the garter spring can come out unless it has something to help hold it in place. And since it's a good idea to put some grease on the lips of the seal anyway==
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,337 Posts

This be it!

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=76719
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I knew you were around somewhere. :grin:
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 AM
1976 corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, for the help
Old 03-09-2015, 04:08 PM
timdanitschek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more help, please!

Originally Posted by movinup
I just did my 70 and left it in the car. I dropped the rear so it hung by the trailing arms leaving the half shafts attached and tilted the front of the rear down enough to get to the seal after pulling the yoke. Still have to remove the spare tire carrier first.
I'm trying to do that in my '76, but my Wilcox instructions say, "simply slide the driveshaft forward..." My car has NEVER understood "simply" and now she refuses to "slide." Any suggesstions how I get the front yoke to "slide" into the trans? (...and when you say, "dropped the rear" do you mean un-doing it from the spring?

Tim
Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default rear seal

The right way to fix the rear seal is to pull the rear. Yes you will get your hands dirty but you can install the seal properly, tilt it overnight to check for leaks and also check universals and side shaft seals and a lot of other moving parts while you are at it. Not that big a deal to remove it.
r
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by timdanitschek
I'm trying to do that in my '76, but my Wilcox instructions say, "simply slide the driveshaft forward..." My car has NEVER understood "simply" and now she refuses to "slide." Any suggesstions how I get the front yoke to "slide" into the trans? (...and when you say, "dropped the rear" do you mean un-doing it from the spring?

Tim
You will have to disconnect the drive shaft from the front yoke and also from the diff yoke, then the front yoke will push into the trans a little to give room for the front of the shaft to drop down and be pulled out the front.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
The right way to fix the rear seal is to pull the rear. Yes you will get your hands dirty but you can install the seal properly, tilt it overnight to check for leaks and also check universals and side shaft seals and a lot of other moving parts while you are at it. Not that big a deal to remove it.
r
Considering that the Torque of the Nut has a direct effect on the set up of the Ring and Pinion I can't possibly see doing it in the Car. Sure if You Mark and put the Nut exactly back in the same spot it should work as before. Since all the Bushings holding the rear end in are probably as old as the seal what is there to loose by removing it. Just the effort to remove the Drive Line is about equal to removing the Pumpkin. When You remove the Pumpkin the Driveline comes out with it.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Sure if You Mark and put the Nut exactly back in the same spot it should work as before.
I always go a bit past to make up for wear in the pinion bearings.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Does that mean that the information is no longer valid?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Does that mean that the information is no longer valid?
Nope. Just pointing it out as a lot of time it is an "oops" from the person who brought it back to life. Especially since his post was a question to the conversation from 2009.

If he got his answer, great. But, usually if you have a question, not just a comment, to a post from 2009, forum etiquette would be to start a new thread. So, I assumed the thread date was not noticed and decided to point it out.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM
timdanitschek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanx

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Nope. Just pointing it out as a lot of time it is an "oops" from the person who brought it back to life. Especially since his post was a question to the conversation from 2009.

If he got his answer, great. But, usually if you have a question, not just a comment, to a post from 2009, forum etiquette would be to start a new thread. So, I assumed the thread date was not noticed and decided to point it out.
Sorry for the breach of etiquette...this was the first time I posted.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't worry about it. Some people here like to play forum police.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

"etiquette" was for a lack of a better term / description

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Don't worry about it. Some people here like to play forum police.
I never meant to sound cocky or be that guy. I simply wanted to bring to the OPs attention that the thread was from 09 in case he did not catch it. As I said, it seems most times people accidentally bring up old threads but if they'd have known they wouldn't have. Bashcraft, you've been around on here for almost 10 years, I'm sure you've seen it and I know an admin will even close a thread out if it gets going again and off from the original post. Was meant as a friendly reminder, not policing. If the date was known, carry on

(I guess the red and bold didn't help)

Get notified of new replies

To Differential seal question

Quick Reply: Differential seal question