C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing Arm Bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
bytor
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, in the home stretch on by trailing arm bushing replacement project. The passenger side TA came off with no issues. But, the driver side bolt was frozen to the sleeve and had to use a sawsall. Hopefully be in the alignment shop in the next few days so I can drive if this weekend.. Thanks again for all the tips ahead of time. Link to a few pic's
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Yes I would say that this method is fine. All you are trying to do is get the assembly to one side...like you have done in the photo ...and then check the gap.. I would say that 028" is WAAAAAY out. I believe it should be .010". As long as your fixture is using light pressure to move the bushing and not CRANKING down on your "c" clamps....you should be fine checking it the way you have done it..
"DUB"
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

Great writeup and lots of nice photos. Speaking of photos, it looks to me like you used rubber bushings. Is that correct? If so, can you please tell me exactly what bushings you used and where you bought them?

Thanks,
John
'73 Coupe.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
kellyr073
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to replace my pass side TA bushing, and drivers side wheel bearing. How many hours do you have into the replacement of the TA bushings?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM
bytor
Instructor

Originally Posted by kellyr073
I need to replace my pass side TA bushing, and drivers side wheel bearing. How many hours do you have into the replacement of the TA bushings?
It took me a few weekends because I did a lot of cleanup and painting while I was back there. If you have never done it before it can be intimidating and expect a few frozen bolts and rust. Removing the bushing was easy; a large step drill bit did the trick in no time. The bushing install it self is no big deal if you have to installation tool. I did not have one but was fortunate to have a Corvette specialty shop in town that did and installed it for me. I also let him remove a lower shock mount and replace a bad u-joint in one of my half shafts.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
starbai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow so much information to read/learn... thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
tgcattle
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be sure and leave everything loose until you put the weight of the car on on the ground
Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tgcattle
be sure and leave everything loose until you put the weight of the car on on the ground
"Everything loose"????? You can't be serious. "Everything" is a BIG word in this type of repair... The ONLY bolts that I leave "loose" are the four rear spring center bolts. That is so they can be correctly tightened when the weight of the car is on the ground.

Unless you are thinking of the front upper and lower control arm bushings...which should be tightened when the car is proper hide height.

You definately have a different way of doing this than I do. I guess...if at the end of the job...EVERYTHING is tight...I guess the job is completed.

"DUB"
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The trailing arm bolt should be left loose also to avoid twisting the bushing.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
The trailing arm bolt should be left loose also to avoid twisting the bushing.
Yes, I agree. IF you are using a RUBBER bushing....instead of urethane. ALSO if you are tightening the trailing arm bolt when the trailing arm is in the downward position....just hanging there and not supported. I personally tighten the ones I work on with the trailing arm in a more level position...much like the position it would be at when the car is on the ground. But does it really matter anyway..... seeing how the alignment shop will need to loosen it (trailing arm pivot bolt/nut) again so the shim(s) can be set properly for the toe-in adjustment. And if you are smart...you would go straight to the alignment shop when the job is completed.....and not drive it for months.

I personally torque this bolt/nut so I can verify that the shims are tight and not loose when the torque has been achieved at this location.
This also guarantees that the castle nut is in the correct position so a cotter pin can be installed and the castle nut will be held by the cotter pin...which I usually check before I re-install the trailing arm...if a new bolt needs to be installed due to the original was rusted or not worthy of being used again.

"DUB"
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some related questions regarding the VB&P do it yourself bushings for Dub. That set came with my Zip "total suspension package"

1. When setting up the bushings in the TA using the supplied bushing shims, should you REALLY follow the directions exactly and shim both sides the same? OR due to future TA toe alignment issues ought you be better favor one side a bit - to get a better chance at the toe-in deal working out later? If so I would presume you would put less width on the inside side? Or is that on a car to car basis? I can post my old shim widths for the toe alignment if you want.

2. With what and WHERE do you grease the TA bushing area with when you install those bushings and later mount the TA's?

3. I also need to call you about my rear wheel bearings - I'm getting very close to the decision point here.

-W

Last edited by Clams Canino; 10-05-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
I have some related questions regarding the VB&P do it yourself bushings for Dub. That set came with my Zip "total suspension package"

1. When setting up the bushings in the TA using the supplied bushing shims, should you REALLY follow the directions exactly and shim both sides the same? OR due to future TA toe alignment issues ought you be better favor one side a bit - to get a better chance at the toe-in deal working out later? If so I would presume you would put less width on the inside side? Or is that on a car to car basis? I can post my old shim widths for the toe alignment if you want.

2. With what and WHERE do you grease the TA bushing area with when you install those bushings and later mount the TA's?

3. I also need to call you about my rear wheel bearings - I'm getting very close to the decision point here.

-W
Clams Canino,
I sent you a PM.
"DUB"
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Hey Bytor? What alignment shop you use?
I'm near Anderson and looking for something close by that does vettes well. Does yours use the new lazer setup?

-W
Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
bytor
Instructor

Hey Bytor? What alignment shop you use?
I'm near Anderson and looking for something close by that does vettes well. Does yours use the new lazer setup?

-W
I lucked up and found a guy at The Tire Exchange in Simpsonville that has done a lot of vettes in his time. He knew what he was doing. He did not have the laser setup, just an old Hunter system. I was very pleased.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

I just purchased a rear suspension kit from VBP and it came with the poly rear trailing arm bushing kit. In your opinion should I use the kit or should I purchase rubber trailing arm bushings and the rear trailing/control arm bushing tool (part no. 582423) from Corvette Central instead? The car will probably never see the track and will mostly be street driven.

Thanks

Don
Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Poly bushings in the trailing arms are just a dumb idea- they do not allow the multi dimensional movement required by the suspension geometry.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by donyue
Hi All,

I just purchased a rear suspension kit from VBP and it came with the poly rear trailing arm bushing kit. In your opinion should I use the kit or should I purchase rubber trailing arm bushings and the rear trailing/control arm bushing tool (part no. 582423) from Corvette Central instead? The car will probably never see the track and will mostly be street driven.
Two issues:

1. The VBP units (when installed) are a little wider than stock. this reduces your adjustment ability on the T/A vs Toe In.
So long as your T/A shims were about equel on iether side, you outta be OK. If you need to favor one side heavily - then when you set up the new bushings make sure to remember to favor the correct side when you use the bushing setup shims.

2. The T/A when swinging (in use) actually moves on more than one plane. So long as you set up the bushing per the instructions (ie not TOO tight) you'll be fine for normal street use. If you set them up too tight or put them under a lot of stress, they may make an occaisional "pop" as they are asked to move more than they want to.

All that said.. VBP has been selling these bushings for a long time. They work well if properly set up. Yes, the purists are absolutely correct when they point out the 2 flaws as noted above. But for your average street driver - those issues don't impact day to day life.

-W

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing Arm Bushing?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Two issues:

1. The VBP units (when installed) are a little wider than stock. this reduces your adjustment ability on the T/A vs Toe In.
So long as your T/A shims were about equel on iether side, you outta be OK. If you need to favor one side heavily - then when you set up the new bushings make sure to remember to favor the correct side when you use the bushing setup shims.

2. The T/A when swinging (in use) actually moves on more than one plane. So long as you set up the bushing per the instructions (ie not TOO tight) you'll be fine for normal street use. If you set them up too tight or put them under a lot of stress, they may make an occaisional "pop" as they are asked to move more than they want to.

All that said.. VBP has been selling these bushings for a long time. They work well if properly set up. Yes, the purists are absolutely correct when they point out the 2 flaws as noted above. But for your average street driver - those issues don't impact day to day life.

-W
on both issues. I have been installing polyurethane trailing arm bushings in Corvettes for a VERY LONG time and there has not been one issue or customer complaint. Mainly because these Corvettes are street driven....and never PUSHED to the limits of the factory design for handling. IF you plan on extreme driving on a race track....then the poly bushings are not the BEST choice....and it would also cause you to change many other components to give you even better handling.

Just make sure you FOLLOW the INSTRUCTIONS...and use a feeler gauge like they mention in the paperwork.

"DUB"
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate your input on the question.

Don
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Poly bushings in the trailing arms are just a dumb idea- they do not allow the multi dimensional movement required by the suspension geometry.
Poly has yeild and it has deflection. What's the difference in the durameter reading from rubber and poly?

Quick Reply: Trailing Arm Bushing?