C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiber Optic Repair ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Find a local Limo repair/builder shop.
They will have miles of the fiber cable probably in different sizes etc and probably sell you what's needed for a few bucks. The stuff is dirt cheap in quantity.

I't easier to repair than crimping electrical wire.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I could just FIND a 50' roll of the cable I could take it from there and make my own replacement harness. I have time before the interior is an issue.... but I'd like to have the cable on hand when the day comes. Worst case I can shoot the $100 for a replacement harness that I could make for $20.

-W
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Baddog67
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1968 fiber optic help - would someone kindly help me with a picture of all of the ends of a fiber optic end?
I have the lines, they have a small brass crimp on he ends, and there is a bigger brass tube that looks like it goes over the crimp.
How does it hook onto the console plate? And how does it hook into the lights?
Please advise, and pictures would be helpful.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Baddog67, Your shifter plate should have a plastic lense that the rear fiber optics plug into with the brass ferrule ends. There are no brass tubes involved, unless bubba was there.
The headlamp and the front turn signal fiber optics, also plug into the fiber optic headlamp bezel found between the center gauge bezel and your shifter plate bezel. It also has a plastic lens that the brass ferrules plug into. The lines have a color code to them, for left and right. Maybe someone can check their's to let you know what they are.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
Back in the 70's we repaired many fiber optics in the assemly plant. The ends need to be cut square. Find a piece of wire that the insulation wil fit snug over the fiber optic. Strip the copper out and make sure the two ends butt up against each other. The shrink tube method maybe sinking into the splice pushing the splice apart and blocking off the fiber optic.
Same here, still do it. Use a fiber optic cutting tool, use new blade for each cut.

Trick is to find some tubing with id close to your projects od, to encase the butt joint. Have butt connected lots of cable when i worked.
Sample of cutting tools
http://i-fiberoptics.com/tools.php?cat=cutting
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Baddog67
Cruising

Loup68 thank you for the guidance,
I purchased an entire kit of just the lines from the Internet and it appears to all be there but there were these little brass tubes,malmostlike little fire hose nozzles about 3/4" long.
I have noticed the are clear, amber, and red items for purchase as well as, and two different types of ferrules for front and rear.
The lines are brand new and are marked with tape for location.
I have not been able to locate pictures or schematics to show how they are to be installed, and as mentioned, what other parts I need.
I really appreciate your guidance.
B
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Baddog67, Do you have a 1968 AIM? I will have to look at mine. It should show their installation.
There are plastic red and clear, cone shaped lenses that go in rubber grommets that install in the holes in the outer rear tail light housings and also the rear license plate lamp assembly.The front turn signal lamps have larger yellow lenses in a rubber grommet.
The headlamps have the fiber optics thread through the middle of the headlamp wire plugs and are sealed with a small piece of black tubing.I hope that this helps you, some. I will try to help answer your questions, Lou.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 71rdster
I believe that Lectric Limited sells the fiberoptic harness as a separate item. if you are not able to make satisfactory repairs to your old harness.
Forwarding one image from practice...apologies for the unsightly fingers in pics.

Purchased the Fiber Splicer Kit from Lectric Limited. (~ $17.00 + shipping) Some very slick products in this package:

1. A cutter. Instructions are "use the hole only once." Four holes of one size and four of another size.
IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k568/bhk62/P1010468.jpg[/IMG]

2. 400 grit sand paper and glass polisher. Instructions state: add one drop of oil and then make figure 8's for 30 seconds. The ends should then "look like glass."

3. Connect ends together in special brass fitting

While I did get a faint glow on the console, it falls short of the desired result. Instead, I will use the remaning 10' of cable provided in the Fiber Splicer Kit to run the line from the console to the emitter. An unbroken line should provide improved illumination on the console.

Last edited by bhk2; 07-25-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Pics of results with Fiber Splicer Kit--happy with product!

Originally Posted by bhk2
Forwarding one image from practice...apologies for the unsightly fingers in pics.

While I did get a faint glow on the console, it falls short of the desired result. Instead, I will use the remaning 10' of cable provided in the Fiber Splicer Kit to run the line from the console to the emitter. An unbroken line should provide improved illumination on the console.
After revisiting my results, I have changed my opinion: the Fiber Splicer Kit from Lectric Limited is worth the effort and price! I!!umination!
I adjusted the emitter end and then remembered to apply the brakes. Here's what I see:

Parking light--left side only

Brake light--left side only
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Baddog67
Cruising

Wow,
Thank you so much for he guidance and pictures.
It appears the little brass things are replacement crimson for the ends. Probably won't use.
I placed an order for the front and rear lenses, two different types if ferrules, a red, clear, and amber cone like piece, and I'll start next week once it all arrives with the install.
I looked through the assembly manual but there are no really clear definitive pictures, but I'll try to figure it out.
Again, your guidance and pictures is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
I'll try to take some pictures and post tobtry to help the next person on thus Forum....
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Baddog67
...I have not been able to locate pictures or schematics to show how they are to be installed, and as mentioned, what other parts I need...
Puchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM shows the FO installation, lens color, routing, etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Baddog67, You say that you have the 68 AIM. Please check the following sheets;
upc 12 A6 sheet H247
upc 12 B10 sheet H266
upc 12 C7 sheet H273
upc 12 C8 sheet H274

These are the only ones pertaining to the fiber optics that I could find. Lou.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Baddog67
Cruising

EasyMike and LouP68, thank you, I looked at each page and just wish the detail was a little better....
FedEx is arriving today with the parts I ordered and that should help. I also need to go downstairs and look at the console closer, as well as each place the ends plug into.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

fiber optic cable is cheap, buy a roll and replace all of it.
dont buy from the vette places there jacking up the price.
look on ebay or do a google search, i bought 200 feet of the correct size, it just has to be close though not perfect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Feet-Fib...in_100&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Baddog67
Cruising

Thank you Tom B1, that looks like a great deal, I wish I saw it before I purchased all of the lines. Fortunately I bought them from someone who was collecting everything they needed to restore a 68' but then chose not to, so they are selling a bunch of parts on EBay.
I need to have the right ends for both sides for every line. DO I need two red ones, and 4 clear ones? Also two amber? Not sure how but I bought 1 of each to get me started..
Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

baddog67, You only need 2 yellow lens for the front turn signals, 2 red lens for the two outer taillights, and one clear lens for the license plate light. The four headlight plugs do not get any lens, because the headlamp fiber optic bezel lens is color coated for the low and high beams. Red for the high and blue for the low beam.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
tonystar1
Advanced

I had a fun (not) time figuring it out for my '71, the AIM was sketchy. I probably got hosed buying the cable, but I replaced two of 'em. For the rear (license plate), I found some similar cable out of a 70's Caddy, spliced them together and used the shrink wrap. Got lucky, and it's the brightest of those three. If anyone can tell me where I can get a socket for the heater control bulb, I'd really appreciate it as it's what's holding up my putting the console on.

Quick Reply: Fiber Optic Repair ??