C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket fuel pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Aftermarket fuel pump question.

Can I use an Edelbrock fuel pump that does not have a return fuel line port? The factory fuel pump has 3 ports, the Edelbrock has two. Please help??
Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes you can use it, but you can also smash your thumb with a hammer in you like. Both are dumb ideas.

The third port helps reduce or eliminate vapour lock and the stock pump puts out the correct flow and pressure for just about any engine.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I love it, the only place you can be serious and get a good laugh. Have a great day. Gene
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I have a Summit fuel pump on my stocker, no return line hooked up, been like this for a couple years and 5k miles, no problems at all......I live in Houston where its 100* and I run the AC, car running 200*+ and never a hot start/vapor lock problem....
Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I deleted my return line when i ran new fuel lines. I am also buying an Edelbrock fuel pump.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

WOW! what a great bunch of advice just for the record, the Holley carb equipped Vettes (L-88, 427 tri-power, LT-1, LS-6) NEVER had any vapor return lines from the fuel pump on them. I run the Carter NASCAR fuel pumps on my HP Vette build-ups because I think they are better built that the A/C style that Edelbrock and Holley sell but, I have noticed, Edelbrock and Holley are starting to offer the Carter style pumps in their recent catalogs. I would also change the fuel pump push-rod out for a lightweight one from ARP/Comp Cams or other vendor. Here is a link to the one I run on my SB Chevys, notice it dosen't need a fuel pressure regulator and it has a big GPH nuber to feed high HP motors. Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M60969/

Remeber, put away all the tools ESPECIALLY the hammers when your out in the garage downing Molsens with your buddies
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

So for you guys that love your aftermarket pumps, what did you actually gain by downgrading from a three port to a two port?

I can think of a half a dozen little re-engineering projects to remove stuff on my car, but not one of them will gain me anything so I won't do them. Just like smashing my thumb with a hammer.

And it's spelled Molson, not Molsen, eh.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
So for you guys that love your aftermarket pumps, what did you actually gain by downgrading from a three port to a two port?

I can think of a half a dozen little re-engineering projects to remove stuff on my car, but not one of them will gain me anything so I won't do them. Just like smashing my thumb with a hammer.

And it's spelled Molson, not Molsen, eh.
I have Carter's version of the Nascar superspeedway mechanical fuel pump (170 gph, no external regulator required). This pump, and almost all aftermarket pumps, have only the 2 ports. This pump is definitely not a downgrade. What I gained (and what everyone gains) is the ability to feed a higher horsepower engine without having to install an (additional) electric pump and regulator. My return line has been blocked off for years and I have no problems. Adding an aftermarket pump, or doing " little re-engineering projects to remove stuff..." always yields some type of gain for a performance enthusiast..... Definitely not to be equated with your thumb smashing.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

When I changed to a late model 330 H. P. crate motor, it had no holes for a factory fuel pump. I had no choice, or no money, to have a machine shop put them in. I've run it for a few thousand miles and I blocked the return line and have had no trouble either. Have a great day. Gene
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
I have Carter's version of the Nascar superspeedway mechanical fuel pump (170 gph, no external regulator required). This pump, and almost all aftermarket pumps, have only the 2 ports. This pump is definitely not a downgrade. What I gained (and what everyone gains) is the ability to feed a higher horsepower engine without having to install an (additional) electric pump and regulator. My return line has been blocked off for years and I have no problems. Adding an aftermarket pump, or doing " little re-engineering projects to remove stuff..." always yields some type of gain for a performance enthusiast..... Definitely not to be equated with your thumb smashing.
Very nice, but a stock AC Delco pump will support up to 600HP.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

We have return fuel lines ? I run the Carter mechanical pump on 650HP 427ci small block
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I believe that the OP has a stock L82 short block with a mild upgrade to heads and intake. No need to go any alternate fuel pump, two port or three.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i use the GMPP 2 port on my 72. But, i do hook up the return, it keeps the fuel cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket fuel pump question.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket fuel pump question.