C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine suggestions/ turn key or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:17 PM
jsholm2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine suggestions/ turn key or not?

I am looking at a couple different engine options. I am leaning toward the turn key options and I am leaning toward either the zz4 350 or the fastburn 385 crate engines from GM performance. I like the performance from the 383's but I haven't been able to find anything with the turn key option. I have never installed an engine before and don't really know how important it is to order an engine ready to install. If you guys can give some suggestions I would really appreciate it. If I knew the fastburn 385 would be plenty of power and torque, that is probably the way I would go but any advice would be great! Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Buddy1980
Racer

Default Turnkey engine

I believe I would go with the GM 383 crate engine. Lots of power and should be dependable. Lots more torque than the 350. I built my own custom 383 but it was a lot of trouble and expense. I wanted a steel crank and forged pistons and a little hotter cam, but it cost me about $2000 more than buying the 383 GM crate. My engine runs awesome, but I think the crate engine is pretty hot too. As far as turnkey, I believe all you need in addition to the crate engine is water pump, carb, and distributor. Looks like a good deal to me for about $5200.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If your goal is to minimize assembly before installation, then the ZZ4 Turn Key is the best choice out there for the money. You didn't mention the GM Fast Burn 385 Turn Key, but that's another good option. I have the GM 350 HO Deluxe (330 hp, 385 torque) that was not quite turn-key, but everything I needed to add was a bolt-off/bolt-on operation (with some cleaning and upgrades in between).

I just noticed that Jeg's has the ZZ4 turn key for $4919 - about $80 less than the HO and $1200 less than the Fast Burn 385.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Support your local builder.
Have a look at race shops in your area.
They should be able to build you a 400+ HP 383 for somewhere between $3500-$4000.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I just started a project with a friend, with a 69 Camaro and he ordered a Turn key, with his minimal knowlege this was a the perfect choice. He ordered a 383 stroker with 425hp this is going to smoke a lot of cars..
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can tell you this, my ZZ4 is way to tame for my taste... need more power!

I have half a mind to sell you mine
Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

if your an engine rookie, go with the turn key.

IF you have taken a motor apart and got it back together correctly in the past,
Then you can pick and choose your individual componets,
to acheive your desired performance level.
with previous experinece you should have enough knowledge to select the proper componets. remember an Engine is the sum of how well all componets are selected,
with a turn-key somone already has made those desicions for you.

Not all local Engine builders would get my recomendation.
But thats a whole new challange finding a competent Engine machine shop.

69VETT

Last edited by 69Vett; 11-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Realize the difference between a turnkey and a crate motor is really just the bolt-on stuff. So you can buy a crate, but then have complete freedom to choose distributor, carb, fuel pump (and pump to carb lines), water pump, etc. All this stuff is very easy to install. I initially looked for turnkey, but I couldn't find one that had the bolt-on parts I wanted, so I ended up getting a ZZ454 crate and then separately bought the other stuff. I'm glad I did it that way so I didn't have to "settle" for what a company offered on their turnkey.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 AM
jsholm2
Instructor

For a guy that doesn't have the experience with pairing the right parts to go with the engine to get the best possible performance, how would you recommend to choose the extra parts, especially the carb.?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsholm2
For a guy that doesn't have the experience with pairing the right parts to go with the engine to get the best possible performance, how would you recommend to choose the extra parts, especially the carb.?
Ask the forum would be my recommednation if you are concerned - assuming you do not wish to use your existing components. For a small block like a ZZ383 or a ZZ4, Edelbrock makes a C-3 endurashine water pump that I purchased and looks great. For a ZZ4, a mechnical fuel pump should do the trick - Holley, Edelbrock, etc. I'm running a Holley 670 street avenger carb (vacuum secondaries) with my TH400 trans and it seems to work just fine. You can use your stock alternator brackets and alternator, unless you want to replace. Pulleys can be swapped out, try zoops.com or just give them a call and tell them what you have. I'm using the brushed aluminum crank and water pump pulleys and they look great. You shold be able to transfer your power steering over as well. PM me if you want some more info on specific parts I am using. Some of these parts (carb, fuel pump) may not be optimal for a higher HP 383+ cid mill.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

if you dont know what you are doing just make sure you buy an engine with a roller cam....then the most common screwup of engine installs has been eliminated. for the first timer a turn key engine would be hard to argue with, and i guess if you are wondering about the install then maybe this is the way to go
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
hpk16
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jsholm2
jsholm2,
I recently went through this process myself, while installing a zz383 engine, and my mechanical skills are minimal.

GM crate engines can be really easy to match parts for, as the GM engine manual provides details and part numbers for most of the parts required to complete the engine.

ZZ383:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...sp88962517.pdf

Fast Burn 385:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...5_Turn_Key.pdf

Depending on which engine you select, many of the parts choices will be automatic.
For example, both of these engines will require Vortec intake manifold, D-port exhaust headers, square-bore carburettor, HEI distributor (possibly with mechanical tach drive, depending on your car's year), a Corvette style water pump compatible with the composite timing chain cover, etc.

From there it just comes down to budget and personal brand preference. Issues like hood, exhaust & engine bay clearance and wether you want to reuse some of your old parts (pulleys, brackets etc.) will also dictate some of your part choices.

There is a wealth of information regarding parts combinations and installation of either of these engines contained both within this forum and elsewhere on the net.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 AM
not a '76
Racer

If you chose to support your local engine builder as previously suggested. Make sure they warranty their engines at a comparible level to GM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo Apita
Support your local builder.
Have a look at race shops in your area.
They should be able to build you a 400+ HP 383 for somewhere between $3500-$4000.
If you give your general location members might be able to make recommendations of shops in your area.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you chose to support your local engine builder as previously suggested. Make sure they warranty their engines at a comparible level to GM.
This is were you pay for the warranty:

Jeg's has the ZZ4 turn key for $4919
That's 25%-30% over the price of a competent machine shop.
Don't wander into the first one you come across, do some research:
  • Local tracks
  • Local Saturday cruises
  • Local car clubs
  • Ask the guy at the traffic light who build his motor
  • Ask your neighbor, or the guy down the street
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Don't forget HT383 w/ iron vortec heads. Lotsa tq. Under $4500.
GM Performance Parts p/n 12499101
GM Performance Parts HT 383 CID
340HP/435TRQ
Only crates I'd suggest are NEW genuine GM. Otherwise, build motor yourself or have a local shop build motor.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 76 frame off had the ZZ4....Gobs of power...and you can't beat the price for a turn key engine plant either. My vote is the ZZ4....You can mod it the way you like and not spend a small fortune! It really all depends on what your intentions are for the car...hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To engine suggestions/ turn key or not?

Quick Reply: engine suggestions/ turn key or not?