C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing oil pan gasket. Is my pan toast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Default Replacing oil pan gasket. Is my pan toast?

I noticed the edge of the pan is banged up a bit. Do you think it'll properly seal with the good gasket kit?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From pictures it looks like it should be ok. Gasket seals along concave surface in center of pan lip not at the edge. I think the guys use the Fel Pro one piece gasket most times that you are probably referring to. When you get pan off straighten edge as best as poss. and smooth out any defects in center of lip with 220 wet or dry sand paper. Repaint and you should be ready to go. mds...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From those images, I wouldn't worry. The alignment between the pan and T-cover look good; was there a leak before? Doesn't look like there was.

Clean the upper groove of all old gasket material (T-cover and rear bearing cap), straighten any of the lip sheet metal if you desire like mds suggests, use a good quality gasket set and sealer, and leakage should continue to be non-existant. I like to dab a little extra amount of GM assembly sealer in corners of non-one-piece sets to help maintain seal.

Not a bad idea to recheck pan bolts after a few heat/cold cycles, like after 75-100 miles of running around or so.

Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Thanks for the advice. This weekends project is pan gasket replacement and rear main seal replacement.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

That forward pan lip looks beat to hell! It may get a good seal maybe not!

If it was my car, I would replace that pan!

Be sure to use my favorite product Hi Tac, and use that on both gasket surfaces.

You want to do this job one time, and if that pan leaks? You will be kicking yourself!

Be darn sure to clean all gasket mating surfaces well.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's pictured is what happens when you try to pull the timing cover without lowering the oil pan first...a pry bar wedged in there. I've seen it more than once.

The boogered up outside edge of the lip isn't where the sealing takes place though. A new seal, some silicone sealer and paint should make it OK again. Not pretty, but serviceable.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
What's pictured is what happens when you try to pull the timing cover without lowering the oil pan first...a pry bar wedged in there. I've seen it more than once.

The boogered up outside edge of the lip isn't where the sealing takes place though. A new seal, some silicone sealer and paint should make it OK again. Not pretty, but serviceable.

If it doesn't leak now, it probably won't leak with new gasket, especially if you use a new Fel-Pro one piece gasket. BUT, notice the key word in the last sentence........."probably"!

Scott
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottyp99

If it doesn't leak now, it probably won't leak with new gasket, especially if you use a new Fel-Pro one piece gasket. BUT, notice the key word in the last sentence........."probably"!

Scott
It leaks. I cleaned it up to determine if it was the balancer seal or pan seal. Its the pan, without a doubt.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is what I would do: replace the pan gasket with a Felpro one piece gasket, (they cost about 25 to 30 bucks, but are way worth it) make sure and put a little RTV on the questionable area, and bam, all set, no more oil on the driveway. I would take the very slight risk of it still leaking, because the pan is easier to remove and replace than on alot of other cars. Ultimately, it's your call. Also, as long as you have the pan off, the oil pump and the rear main seal are right there staring you right in the face. If they need attention, now is the time. I hope I'm not insulting you by telling you that, just throwing it out there, just in case it hadn't crossed your mind.

Scott
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I hope I'm not insulting you by telling you that, just throwing it out there, just in case it hadn't crossed your mind.

Scott
No, not at all. I plan on doing the rear main seal as well, the pumps probably staying as it makes good pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing oil pan gasket. Is my pan toast?

Quick Reply: Replacing oil pan gasket. Is my pan toast?