C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum advance is retarding my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM
volition
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum advance is retarding my timing?

So I finally got things dialed in and went to hook up the vacuum advance and was shocked at what it did to my timing light...

It looks like when I hook it to full manifold vacuum it's RETARDING my timing by seriously 50-60 degrees.

What in the world did I do wrong? It's a brand new Borg Warner unit too.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default That Ain't good!

Full manifold Vacuum advance should give you 14 to 20 * at max, did somebody grind out the stop hole?

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 12-24-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:32 AM
volition
Racer

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Full manifold Vacuum advance should give tou 14 to 20 * at max, did somebody grind out the stop hole?
The problem is it's retarding the timing, not advancing it.. and by a lot. I'm not really sure why.. maybe it's advancing so far that it's wrapping back around the balancer?

Which stop hole are you referring to? The canister itself is brand new
Old 12-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Some thing going on it not right,

Do you have any sprigs in your distributor?
The vacuum can on the distributor should be a 'Zero' advance untill you hook up the vacuum line to the distributor, then you should get up to 16* of advance on the timing light.
What distributor are you using?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How is the engine running? If it's ok, then your ballancer's outer hub is slipping
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 AM
volition
Racer

Mechanical timing is already set ... 14 at idle 36 at 2900 that's all fine.

It's just when I plug in the vacuum that it get's wierd.

It's a GM HEI. This is when using full manifold vacuum of course. It does ok at idle if I use ported but it still advances the living crap out of the engine off-idle under light and moderate acceleration causing a bad ping.

The engine is absolutley screaming fast and silky smooth I'm just trying to get the vacuum advance to work right for the mileage improvement
Old 12-24-2009, 05:57 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Maybe you could remove distributor cap, hook vacuum advance can to a vacuum source
( like another car with engine running for instance ) and see how the plate moves.
As the distributor rotor turns clockwise, the base plate should turn counterclockwise when you apply vacuum.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 12-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
marz
Burning Brakes

Do you really need to hook up the advance? Mine did pretty much the same thing and I just left it disconnected and plugged it. Worked for me. I have a new GM HEI unit in mine. Interested to see what the end result is.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
Maybe you could remove distributor cap, hook vacuum advance can to a vacuum source
( like another car with engine running for instance ) and see how the plate moves.
As the distributor rotor turns clockwise, the base plate should turn counterclockwise when you apply vaccum.
73StreetRace is right. After you remove the distributor cap, when you apply vacuum, the base plate should start to turn at about 4 to 7 inches of Hg and reach full advance at 12 to 15 inches of Hg. - the base plate should move about 3/16 inch counterclockwise, measured where the rod pulls the base plate.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by volition
It looks like when I hook it to full manifold vacuum it's RETARDING my timing by seriously 50-60 degrees.
It's a GM HEI. This is when using full manifold vacuum of course. It does ok at idle if I use ported but it still advances the living crap out of the engine off-idle under light and moderate acceleration causing a bad ping.
I doubt it is actually retarding the timing by 50-60 degrees--the engine would stop.

HEI ? Maybe it has a pickup coil from an Olds. I think that coil is backwards to the Chevy coil. JAT

The confusing part is you say manifold vacuum retards the timing but when you hook up to ported it "advances" the timing ???
Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Vacuum advance is good for part throttle performance and economy.
Any street machine should use it.
Only race cars or drag racing cars don't need it, because they mostly use the gas pedal like an all or nothing switch...
Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
myk7
Pro

I seriously doubt the vac advance is retarding your timing. It either advances timing or does nothing. If your timing is set at 14 at idle with the vac advance disconnected, timing should be 29 to 35 at idle with the vac advance hooked up.

Does the idle go up when you hook up the vac advance? If it does, that means it's advancing it. Revved up to 2900 (mech advance all in) with the vac advance hooked up, it should be about 52. Are you sure the mech advance is all in at 2900? Rev it on up to 4k and see if you get more advance out of it. It should not be pinging unless you are running crappy gas, that's why I suggest the vac advance is not all in at 2900.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

what if the mechanical arm is popped out of the slot? and totally misaligned......i bet that would do funny stuff
Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 PM
WhiteC3
Racer

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
what if the mechanical arm is popped out of the slot? and totally misaligned......i bet that would do funny stuff
Good point. Thats something to look at.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM
volition
Racer

Well I don't know for a fact that it's retarding it, but here's exactly what happens:

Unplugged with timing light on.. balancer is showing 14 degrees.

Hook up vacuum, suddenly my 0 degree timing mark on the balancer im watching goes the complete opposite direction about 4-5 inches away from the timing marks , in the retarded direction.

What is confusing is the idle does indeed go up as if it's advancing.

I just noticed this canister I picked up is stamped with a "51" on it. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that number what indicates how much advance it pulls?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 PM
volition
Racer

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I doubt it is actually retarding the timing by 50-60 degrees--the engine would stop.

HEI ? Maybe it has a pickup coil from an Olds. I think that coil is backwards to the Chevy coil. JAT

The confusing part is you say manifold vacuum retards the timing but when you hook up to ported it "advances" the timing ???
Well, it doesn't actually advance my timing.. I should clarify. It's more like the timing mark acts normal under low vacuum (ported idle, part/heavy throttle) but at high vacuum the timing moves waaay back to the retarded side.

I went and picked up a new Accel cap/rotor/module/coil and put it on after reading your post just to make sure I didn't have the wrong one on there. Seems to still be doing the same thing
Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

The part I was talking about was the pick-up coil.That's what the vacuum advance is attached to. You have to remove the dist and shaft to replace it.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum advance is retarding my timing?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 PM
volition
Racer

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
The part I was talking about was the pick-up coil.That's what the vacuum advance is attached to. You have to remove the dist and shaft to replace it.
Is there a way to tell the olds vs chevy apart?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i think the number on the cannister is a part number or reference number, i dont think you can draw any conclusions from it other then matching it up to the refernce guide....Lars has a refererence guide one that says what the part numbers mean in terms of advance and the the vacuum that it pulls in it. when you say retarded which way is it going clockwise or counter clock wise? it seems like we are missing something obvious here......
Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Is there a way to tell the olds vs chevy apart?
To be honest I can't remember. I was hoping someone else would chime in and confirm whether or not the wrong one would in fact retard the timing. I think the Olds dist installs on the other side of the cam. I'll look up the parts and see if I can see a way to tell them apart.

Quick Reply: Vacuum advance is retarding my timing?