C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (870CFM)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (870CFM)

I am now ready to go with a Carburetor on my BB. The BB is still at the machine shop but I need to accumulate parts so that I will be ready. I am running the Performer RPM intake, Comp Cams XE274H 230/236 @.050, .552, .555" with ~9.3 CR.

The car isn't a daily driver, but I don't want it to be a nuisance to drive either.

I like the looks of the Demon and its reputation. I don't like Holley's Zinc finish but the reliability of the carb seems to be there since you can "install" it out of the box and adjust the vac secondaries, etc.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/0-80770.html

Which carb would you choose (cost is irrelevant)?

Bob :cheers:

[Modified by Bob Turner, 10:50 AM 3/3/2002]
Old 03-03-2002, 06:46 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (Bob Turner)

My personal preference would be the Demon, the fit and finish seems a lot better on them the the avengers. The Demon will probably take a little more tuning to get correct then the Avenger, but I think you end up with a better carb. I installed a 570 Avenger on a coworkers 65 mustang 289, works well but wasn't impressed with the finish and casting, Demons look like a higher quality piece. I think either one would fit the bill, if you want plug and play go with the Avenger, if you want the looks and build quality I'd say go with the Demon. just my oppinion.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 03-03-2002, 06:51 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (Bob Turner)

I'm not a carb expert Bob, but I really like my Holley 3310. I don't think that one is the carb for you though. A lot of the BB guys are running the 800 DP. I don't know whether it really matters if the carb is a double pumper or a dual feed. I think the Avenger is a dual feed and advertised as a street friendly Holley. I didn't have any problems with my Holley---ran great right outa the box.

I don't prefer either of your choices, mainly due to the price. I just can't see forking out $4-500 for a carb. My next carb will be a Holley 750 double pumper and mech sec. and no choke. About $281.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (1970 Stingray)

I decided to go with the Demon 850 vac. sec. I got it last week along with the Performer RPM intake and Harland Sharp rocker arms. Now if I can just get the machine shop to start on the motor and quit delaying it!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (870CFM)

Quick Reply: Carburetor time.... DEMON 850 or HOLLEY Street Avenger (870CFM)