C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project LS7 454 (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

Looks great, post some videos when you fire it up
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,106 Likes on 751 Posts

Looks good Rob!

So what did you end up doing for the motor combo? I see the AFRs/RPM air gap... You are finally getting there...just get it ready in time for the good Fall air.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Told ya it'd fit!!

Looks great Rob, it really does. Can't wait to hear how you like the way it drives!!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks.....

I had an idea of the combo after talking to 427hotrod and several others with BB builds. Tracdogg2 narrowed down the combo for me when it came to the parts and designed a set up that would work with my trans, Torque C and rear gears. The block was bored .030, decked/blue printed etc.
Solid roller Cam/lifters/roller rockers .640/.655 lift, 290 Oval port Afr heads, forged pistons 10.25:1 CR. Planning on 3 inch dual exhaust.

I have 5 gallons of 107 octane just for the initial start up.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love them big chrome valve covers!!

Looking at your pics, I notice its looks pretty tight against the brake booster area. If you go hydroboost, you'll gain clearance on the valve covers and have a brake pedal power to match the go pedal power.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

AFR 290's You've got smart guys advising you; those are PERFECT for your build.

The metallic orange is a nice touch too. Will this be or is it the color of your car? Post up some more when you get a chance.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Yes, its all Iron.
As much as I would like to keep the original set up, highest octane gas I have found at the pump is 93.
Hopefully, some magic can be worked with a 10:1 compression, matched with a good cam, lifters, reworked heads, and intake/carb. I think 500 hp is realistic. I will just have to wait and see what works best.

I welcome any tips/advice from the seasoned engine guru's....

Thanks for looking......
500hp will be a piece of cake.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Sh*t 600hp will be a piece of cake.....that car is gonna be nasty. Just make sure you get the converter right. It will make or break the car's performance. That's a 10 sec ride sittin there with the right exhaust/converter....
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Alan, any issues running your plug wires underneath the headers and around the side of the heads in order to keep them out of site? I got some long plug wires to work with.
Do you have them attached to any type of looms at all?

Benlurkin, the actual block color is Copper. It looks real nice in the light.

Few more pics of the outside. She was filthy, so I hosed her off, removed lots of dust/dirt.

Layed the hood on, its not fitted or painted yet. Found a transmission line leak up by the radiator. Looks like the steel tubing has a little hole in it. I will need to patch that up.
Still several items to finish before I am done. Still working on it......

Thanks,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 71HO454
Well, I'm certainly not seasoned at building engines, but I've spent my share of earned income on racing engines, Hi Perf street engines and everything in between over the years. Some will agree, and some won't. Everyone has an opinion.. Here is mine,

10:1 compression still seems a little steep for todays dish soap, errr, pump gas.. Some will say otherwise, but never forget the old saying that "detonation needs to be avoided at all costs" Think of a sledgehammer hitting the top of your pistons!!

You have a great set of heads and a bullet proof block, crank and rods. IMHO 9:1 compression forged slugs, a nice dual plane intake, a custom hydraulic roller cam, lifters and matching springs. Forget the solid lifters for the street.. You'll be knocking on the door of a realistic 450hp. (That's all fine and good, but it's torque that you're looking for on the street) Once you've got 500+ lb ft of torque, then it's time to think about getting it to the pavement effeciently.

Your tranny is going to need an ATI, or other brand reworked valvebody and internals. You will need a different converter as well. Don't order a converter until you know what your cam specs are along with other criteria. ATI will help you with that..Don't just order one from Jegs or Summit.. (I've always received superior parts, service and tech help from ATI down in Maryland) Don't hesitate to call them when you're ready. You don't need a racing transmission but you'll want to pay attention to the parts that go into yours so it will live! Not to mention utilize all that the new motor has to offer.

If the rearend has a lot of miles on it, you might want to take a peek inside. It might also need some work!! A set if 3:36 gears are fun on the street.

Translation: Get your checkbook out!!
i'm in the process of building a 383 stroker in my 78 pace car. i've been the 454 route (72 el camino, but that's another story), and with a comp cam and high performance heads (ported and polished, etc), it will make about 9.4:1 compression (intentionally) so i can keep it on the street and run it on 93 pump gas. unfortunately, it's not like the old days when gas was both cheap and real. while you might be down a bit in horsepower, you might want to consider it to save money, save your engine, and still enjoy it all.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

No issues with the wires running behind the heads and under the headers...I just use tie wraps to tie them back away from the headers....Tied to motor mounts, starter harness, pivot ball bolt....anything really that keeps em pulled into the block... I like it much better then running them over the top of the VCs.

Your car looks real cool....
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,930 Likes on 934 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Getting soooooooo close! Waiting to hear it rumble clean across Dallas area all the way out to my house!!

JIM
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is quite a cam Mako... Huge amount of lift, not sure if that will even idle.
Solid Lift cam vs Solid roller cam, seems to have its advantages based on what I read thus far about valve/lash adjustment. If I only had to adjust every 2000-3000 miles, then I would seriously consider it. I have probably put less than 1500 miles in the last year on my car. But I do plan to drive it much more once I am done with her transformation.

I tried to call CompCams today but got nothing but busy signals. 4 different times. What gives?
I do not want to sound foolish, but I really lust after a fat rough lopey idle. Who does'nt right... Haa, its funny, they have descriptions on the Compcam website. Some say lopey , rough, choppy... Haa I thought those were all the same....

But, I do want quality, that is most important. I want the cam to be happy and perform well in the engine, just cruising around, and then of course went I put my foot into it , I want women and children to be frightened.

Tim, sounds good, I bet with that octane she smells nice...
I guess till I talk to my macheinst/builder or compcams, I will not know what power loss I will suffer by going to a maintenance free hydraulic cam/lifter set up.

454HO-
The pic of the intake is a TMR2, I think that's it. It's designed for rect port heads. Its old school from what I read. Its a single plane.
The carb is a Holley 750 vac secondary. This is what was on it before. I was told it ran well. I guess detonation/low octane gas probably caused that piston to go south.
Thanks for all the info...
You're definitely going to accomplish this goal!! That is a great build there, that engine is a beast and it looks so nice in that paint color . Post a video when you get it running, its going to be a fiend!

Will
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

to run your plug wires below the headers and behind the block the wise plug boot would be a 90 degree style as a straight will not work for underneath wires......it does keep the engine compartment nice and clean looking without wires all over the valve covers and works quite well, but i`m sure you already knew that.....
Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Few more updates. Might as well keep em coming.
Worked on the fuel line. Nothing is easy........
Anyway,
I got the braided hose and all AN connections to go along with it.
I had to set up my fuel pump first and have the inlet and outlet ports in the right spot in order to get the lines in place. This was not easy. Only positioned it 4-5 times before I figured out the best angle. Had to put the header on to ensure I was not to close to any of the tubes.
Professor Mistake is my most popular instructor.

Next issue was fitting the AN connections on to the braided hose.
The wrapping with tape, hack saw, dremel tool, cable cutter, did not work for me. Looked terrible when I finished.
Figured I would share this method that worked best for me with everyone. I take no credit for it though, since I stole it off of youtube.
1. Big ol sharp chisel
2. No tape
3. Big hammer
4. Piece of solid steel- (old piece of rail road track steel)
5. Piece of copper or brass to protect the blade on the chisel
6. Concrete driveway
7. Safety glasses
Made a perfect cut with one or two whacks with the hammer.
Next trick is to put the AN fitting in a vice and work the hose in with a small screwdriver.
Then keep in the vice to tighten down the connections. ( I used a lite grease on all the connectors)
This was all new to me and ended up being the best method. Struggling by hand to work these things in did not work either.
Fuel line is finished with the regulator. I will plan to run a return line in the near future.
Lars recommendation.
Thanks for all the traffic and comments.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
71HO454
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Few more updates. Might as well keep em coming.
Worked on the fuel line. Nothing is easy........
Anyway,
I got the braided hose and all AN connections to go along with it.
I had to set up my fuel pump first and have the inlet and outlet ports in the right spot in order to get the lines in place. This was not easy. Only positioned it 4-5 times before I figured out the best angle. Had to put the header on to ensure I was not to close to any of the tubes.
Professor Mistake is my most popular instructor.

Next issue was fitting the AN connections on to the braided hose.
The wrapping with tape, hack saw, dremel tool, cable cutter, did not work for me. Looked terrible when I finished.
Figured I would share this method that worked best for me with everyone. I take no credit for it though, since I stole it off of youtube.
1. Big ol sharp chisel
2. No tape
3. Big hammer
4. Piece of solid steel- (old piece of rail road track steel)
5. Piece of copper or brass to protect the blade on the chisel
6. Concrete driveway
7. Safety glasses
Made a perfect cut with one or two whacks with the hammer.
Next trick is to put the AN fitting in a vice and work the hose in with a small screwdriver.
Then keep in the vice to tighten down the connections. ( I used a lite grease on all the connectors)
This was all new to me and ended up being the best method. Struggling by hand to work these things in did not work either.
Fuel line is finished with the regulator. I will plan to run a return line in the near future.
Lars recommendation.
Thanks for all the traffic and comments.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks good Rob!! Keep posting pics, I need to get into this section more often. I bought a C6 Z06 and haven't been in here much at all since..
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

verry cool man,, i have always wanted a LS7 lol either that or the 380HP 327.

Get notified of new replies

To Project LS7 454 (pics)

Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
johnmb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to keep the inline Holley fuel filters in the inlets of the carbs with that AN plumbing ?

Looking great!

I'm working on my 73 454 ... it's an LS5 block with oval port heads, but with larger valves fitted, flowed etc, 10.5 :1 Edelbrock RPM, 770 Street Avenger, Howard Cam, etc etc.

If you figure out how to fit that hood, let me know as mine fits about the same :-)
Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

My carb does not have filters. I have seen pics of these, but I do not have them. I have a inline filter about a foot away from the carb.
Issue today is the driver side header with one of the tubes bumping up against the steering box.... Looks like I see a dent in its future. I had heard I might have to do this, I was hoping I would not have to.

The hood is down the list, but I am working my ways towards it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

[COLOR="Purple"]Well I finally got it running. Here are a few videos of the results. Need to tune the carb now. I have not driven it, just idle time.
I am not the best camera person so beware. That is me moving the camera all around.
Make sure you turn the volume all the way UP!!!...

Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVh8qVJd2sE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZ5eYH4RuI

Quick Reply: Project LS7 454 (pics)