C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control doesn't work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
1977vetteguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control doesn't work!!!

Does anybody know why the cruise control on a 1977 vette would not work? I have heard that it could be vacuum issues. If anybody has ideas please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Your problem is most likely with the transducer. The transducer controls the functions of the cruise control. The transducer is activated by electronics and then controls the system by vacuum. The transducer is mounted below the master cylinder, it has the upper and lower speedometer cables running to it. Transducers are available from most Corvette vendors. Rebuilt 77-80, 2 wire transducers, sell for about $150.00.

Beyond the transducer, it could be a vacuum line or leak, it could be the switch in the stalk, a wiring problem, or even a problem with the brake light switch. I would check these out first, and if all are correctly connected and functioning properly, than I would replace the transducer. A GM shop manual will give you trouble shooting tips, if you have one, or access one.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Seasoned80
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your speedometer works, the problem is probably not the transducer.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

First thing to check is the fuse that protects it. Then check that the vacuum lines and electrical running to it are functional. If your speedo works, then the cable running to it is turning and the cruise transducer is getting the 'speed' signal it needs. Otherwise, the speedo cable or tranny cable drive gear could be defective. The control switch/wiring on the steering column could be defective, too.

If you have vacuum, voltage, activation signal and speedo signal getting to the transducer and it still doesn't work, remove it, disassemble and clean it, then try it again. If no joy, buy a new control head.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
First thing to check is the fuse that protects it. Then check that the vacuum lines and electrical running to it are functional. If your speedo works, then the cable running to it is turning and the cruise transducer is getting the 'speed' signal it needs. Otherwise, the speedo cable or tranny cable drive gear could be defective. The control switch/wiring on the steering column could be defective, too.

If you have vacuum, voltage, activation signal and speedo signal getting to the transducer and it still doesn't work, remove it, disassemble and clean it, then try it again. If no joy, buy a new control head.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

check out our CCC site I just wrote an article on the cruise, Ron' tidbits capitalcorvetteclub.ca this one is on my car an 80 let us know how you make out! Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise control doesn't work!!!

Quick Reply: Cruise control doesn't work!!!