C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Hood problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Zapman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Hood problems

I have a 1975 Vette I have purchased to modify and make a "Toy" to play with. Everything was going well until I closed my hood. I had the hood off to paint the under side and to replace the insullation. I was proud of my efforts until I closed the hood and it has been three weeks since I have been able to open the hood. It is stuck on the drivers side. I have tried shaking, proping the passengers side up and tripping the latch with a pole, pulling off the drivers side tire to reach the latch, etc... and nothing has worked. I had rather figure out how to fix the hood rather than taking it to a body shop.

Has anyone had this problem with a C-3 if so how was the problem fixed?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

See PM
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I had to go up through the front valence by the headlights and loosen the hood hinges on my 72 after I did about the same thing you did.

I have also heard that jacking up one side or other of the car while pulling on the hood release cable may pop the hood.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Zapman
Cruising

Thanks Curby - this is good information and a great site. I appreciate the help and will keep y'all posted how I come out.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
marcusmd
Heel & Toe

I'm looking for some similar help- except that it's my hood release cable that broke. So, both sides are still latched down in the locked position. Same suggestions? It's a 1976 L82, so it does have the rise in the center of the hood.
Thanks in advance!
Marcus
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Zapman
Cruising

Not being smart but I hope you have good luck. I am going to try the suggestion above . Believe me I have pulled out the hair on my head and now I am working on my beard.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Marcus

see PM
Old 03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Zapman
Cruising

Update on my hood problem:

I have used a lot of your suggestions and they have been very helpful but I haven't got the hood open yet. I have the passenger side open and I can create a 6" to 8" gap on the passengers side and I can see the drivers side latch that won't open. I can trip the latch but something is preventing the latch from releasing. I have one more idea I am going to try, I plan to use a piece of 1\2" tubing and place a metal wedge on the end and try to wedge the hood open. If I tear up the latch so be it and I will put a new latch on, probably replace everything on the hood. If it breaks the hood I will cuss and stomp and cry and buy a new hood.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and I will keep you posted - success or give up.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Don't you will probably break the hood. Get something connected on the pass. side if you need to open again & get something hooked on the cable for ex. if needed for dr. side. Close pass side & work on opening dr side, best to open both at once.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Zapman
Cruising

Thanks Ganey - I will give it one more try. Believe or not I have tried every evening after work for two weeks.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Ganey
Race Director

There are good pics. in this topic which should help you see what you are working with to do it.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...uck-hoods.html
You might try shooting some lube in there to help. There are other topics on closed hoods w/ the latch system you have.

My latch system is different from yours. I did a write up on my type (which was not sent as it would not help) & sent to many who have opened theirs.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
bbdude454
Intermediate

I am in the same boat with my 74. Replaced motor put on the hood and the dang thing is doing the same thing as yours, left up and right stuck. I'll let you know if I get mine somehow.

David
Old 03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Cobfree
Racer

Looks like I am not alone. The driver side was loose and I moved the adustment back. Guess what: Now the driver side will not open at all.
Lot of fun
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

This is intended for others reading this thread:
Anytime you want to remove the hood, make certain that you mark the location of bolt heads, outside edges of brackets and latch frames, etc. It's the only way to limit [not prevent] the problems described above.

[Hope you are able to get the hood back in line without any damage. ]
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Zapman
Cruising

Sorry for the late reply - I have been on jury duty and have to return tomorrow. I still do not have mine open. I have taken pictures of the stuck side. I have enough gap on the passengers side to get a camer underneath the hood. I hope to post by the end of the week if jury duty does not take up too much time and I don't forget my camera again. I did find a corvette shop in Birmingham that specializes in the older vettes but they are only opened Monday thru Friday so it will be next week before I get mine into town.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Zapman
Cruising

I have given up after a month of trying. I have found a corvette shop in Birmingham that works on the older vettes and I will be taking it to them week after next, they are at the corvette convention next week.

I really appreciated everyones help and comments. There is good people in this forum and maybe someday as I learn more about these cars I can offer comments and support to someone.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Crusty 1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't remove the hood

I just did my 75. Jack up the drivers side. Right behind the front wheel on the bottom is a piece of metal/seal that seals the bottom of the fender with three bolts. two on the bottom and one to bottom of the body. Remove the three bolts. Remove three more bolts directly behind the drivers side tire to remove a black canister in the fender well. Once removed, you can reach up and around the brake booster to get access to the hood release levers.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Hood problems

Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM
skyrat147
1st Gear

Default hood latch

Originally Posted by Ganey
There are good pics. in this topic which should help you see what you are working with to do it.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...uck-hoods.html
You might try shooting some lube in there to help. There are other topics on closed hoods w/ the latch system you have.

My latch system is different from yours. I did a write up on my type (which was not sent as it would not help) & sent to many who have opened theirs.

Can you buy these? If so, Where? I don't have the skill set to fabricate something like this.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:05 PM
metal marc
1st Gear

thanks Curby. you saved me a lot of time, money, and pain. bam the hood comes off and now to fix the problem.
metal marc
Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Originally Posted by metal marc
thanks Curby. you saved me a lot of time, money, and pain. bam the hood comes off and now to fix the problem.
metal marc
FWIW, Curby hasn't been on the forum since early 2019. Probably better to start a new thread instead of opening a zombie one

Quick Reply: 1975 Hood problems