C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue with 77 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
WarrenW
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue with 77 vette

Hi Everyone,

I know it's hard to diagnose some issues without looking at the engine directly but maybe someone may have an idea where to start with this. My 350 has an edelbrock intake and their 600cfm carb. The carb was just replaced a couple weeks ago with the same exact model that was on it - the old one was leaking fuel so replacement was same price as a rebuild.

The starting issue I have is the same as it was before with the other carb so I don't see it being the problem. When I crake the car cold, it fires right up without a problem. Once I am driving it a good bit and stop somewhere, to recrank it is different. When I turn the key, it fires once and then just turns over without trying to start for a few times like a good three seconds. Then it will crank. No matter what I do with the gas pedal, it's the same. It's almost like there is no gas getting in until it sucks it in. There is gas showing in the fuel filter.

I was wondering if it could be the fuel pump but it cranks cold quickly. I can't see it being anything electrical such as the distributor cause it does fire once when I first turn the key. Any ideas? Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks!

Warren
Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,615 Posts

check the float levels
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
check the float levels
Also make sure the choke is working properly, and is fully open after driving the car.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
BHRIG
Racer

Does car stall after long trips........while engine is hot?

Do you have the problem after warm-up?

Is your carb and fuel line, from fuel pump, insulated?

Sounds as if you are suffering from vapor lock.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 418 Posts

I had exactly the same problem. It was heat soak. You park the car for a while and you just can't get any gas into it. If its mild you crank it for 15 or 20 seconds, it starts, runs like crap for a couple of minutes then its fine. If its bad it won't start at all until you let it cool. The problem is the low hood, low air cleaner, low intake manifold, etc, keeps all the heat in the carb and the fuel boils away. I put up with it for a couple of years, then I put on a taller hood, Performer RPM Air Gap manifold, 1/4" insulator under the carb, a heat deflector plate, and an open element air cleaner. Problem solved. I'm sure you can solve the problem without doing everything I did, but I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Oh yeah. One more thing. Block the heat passage in the intake that allows exhaust to pass through it.

Last edited by drwet; 04-02-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: One more thing...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
WarrenW
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the tips drwet. Once it cranks, it's okay though. But it does seem like it is not getting any gas for those few seconds. I have an Edelbrock intake manifold and their 600cfm carb which is new. If I drive it just a little bit and turn it off, it will crank back up but once it does get warm, it happens like you say.

Here is what I have under the hood:

Thanks,

Warren
Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 418 Posts

Things don't look real tight under your hood. I would try adding an insulator and a heat deflector plate. I made my plate from a piece of aluminum. You can buy one if you're not as cheap as I am.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting issue with 77 vette

Quick Reply: Starting issue with 77 vette