C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve, Do I Need This?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EGR Valve, Do I Need This?

I'm in one of those "while I'm at it" phases on my 1973 small block. I have decided to clean and repaint some of the engine components and got curious about the EGR. I verified that the EGR valve works but I wonder if it is really needed. I assume that a future replacement manifold would not have provision for EGR. My vehicle is registered as a "collector" and will not be smog checked. The car runs fine as is. Is there a performance downside or upside if the EGR is eventually removed? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

The EGR only operates at light throttle cruise, so you won't see any different at idle or WOT whether you keep it or remove it.
Lars
Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 AM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the EGR does is open the exhaust passage into the intake passage.
The EGR problems come into play when it gets stuck open. If it gets stuck closed, it's like not having one at all.

In my experience, removing it and keeping your engine properly tuned and carb properly adjusted, you can pass a sniffer test all day long. I also used intake gaskets with exhaust heat crossover block-off passages.

Of course, alot of restoration purists will say that it is not factory correct or that the smog police will come and get you. I'm in Texas and my 1976 doest require a sniffer test, just a safety check (lights, horn)
Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lars V2.5
whats up with that???
Old 04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Project80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It doesn't ONLY operate at light throttle. It has various levels of operation that correspond to the various levels of vacuum in these cars or gases in the newer computer controlled EGRs.
Computer controlled EGR's in C-3s?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Lars V2.5
Cruising

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Boulder Colorado

Nope not in a c3. By "newer" I was referring to newer cars not newer c3s. Just curious is there supposed to be a ' in EGRs?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Project80
Racer

Nope not in a c3. By "newer" I was referring to newer cars not newer c3s.
Yes but, the OP really just wanted to know how it would effect his Vette, not a newer vehicle.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Lars V2.5
Cruising

Still pretty much the same. If it is in proper working condition I wouldn't worry about it affecting performance too much. Removing it will give you a slight performance upside with and eco upside as well. Although there will be an increased NOx, Particulates, Carbon monoxide and Carbon dioxide are lowered. EGR removal allows an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%.

Last edited by Lars V2.5; 04-03-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

So first you raise the flag, and then you agree with me. What's your deal?

The EGR on a C3 is hooked up to ported vacuum. Ported vacuum only exists at light throttle cruise, so the valve can only be opened at light throttle cruise. My statement was that the EGR has no effect on idle and WOT performance, which you then agreed with - if operating correctly, the valve is closed in both of those conditions due to lack of ported vacuum.

I never said the valve had no effect on cruise performance. I did not address mileage or contaminants at cruise.

There is no computer control of the EGR on a C3, so your comments are invalid - a C3 EGR is controlled by ported vacuum and the thermostatic switch.

Just curious is there supposed to be a ' in EGRs?
Wow... you really are an ***. You're going to start picking on these guys' spelling and grammar on this Fourm? You're in for a rough ride. But in answer to your question, there would be a ' in EGR if the acronym is used in the possessive, such as, "the EGR's function is to..." There would not be a ' if it is used in the plural, such as, "I have two EGRs on my workbench." Hope that takes care of your concern. I'm sure BTAL appreciates the correction and that this is of great value to him.

Last edited by lars; 04-03-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Still pretty much the same. If it is in proper working condition I wouldn't worry about it affecting performance too much. Removing it will give you a slight performance upside with and eco upside as well. Although there will be an increased NOx, Particulates, Carbon monoxide and Carbon dioxide are lowered. EGR removal allows an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%.
Isnt that what Lars wrote !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:17 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Lars, looks like you have earned yourself a stalker....

So removing the EGR will result in a performance upgrade, be better for the enviroment and save you on your gas bills? 25% increase in economy
Old 04-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Before you start laughing why don't you use your ****ing eyes. I said up to, and yes do your research. It does reduce NOx but increases other gases. Taking **** from the engine and burning it again isn't exactly doing mother nature a favor.
Are you Lars version 2.5? Same address and same drinking beer and wrenching. Very strange.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Same address? Sir i'm sorry but I just have to know: WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?
Nothing. But it is very warm here and I am enjoying a couple of Molson Canadians. How far is Boulder from Lafayette?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Lars V2.5
Cruising

Originally Posted by paul 74
Nothing. But it is very warm here and I am enjoying a couple of Molson Canadians. How far is Boulder from Lafayette?
Ah, very nice.
It's about 25 minutes.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nope, he said it is only used during light cruise. How are you going to define light cruise? That's like saying we only use A/C at moderate temperatures. Just . Now lars is going over other people spreading and tells everyone he hates this forum because of . Also I said I was curious, I was not being a dick I just wanted to properly use the '. And to lars read "Computer controlled EGR's in C-3s?" "Nope not in a c3. By "newer" I was referring to newer cars not newer c3s. Just curious is there supposed to be a ' in EGRs?" before you say "There is no computer control of the EGR on a C3, so your comments are invalid"

Also Lars goes around spreading about Demon carbs having crap in them but if you get one from recent production and speak to BG you would know they now clean them and check them before shipping.
Yes, you are being a dick, and an a$$. You joined today and come in this forum insulting others. I am sure you are a previous member that has had verbal battles you lost repeatedly with Lars, probably one of the idiots that made him want to leave in the first place. You need to change your name on this forum.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I don't know why Lars takes this kind of abuse. He did for awhile and left but thankfully came back. Now .... ? If you wish to know how an EGR works I can do it with pics (EGR, TVS, ported vacuum, manifold vacuum, the whole nine yards). It will verify what Lars has stated. But the truth may be beyond your understanding.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Valve, Do I Need This?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 7T3C3TTZ07
I'm in one of those "while I'm at it" phases on my 1973 small block. I have decided to clean and repaint some of the engine components and got curious about the EGR. I verified that the EGR valve works but I wonder if it is really needed. I assume that a future replacement manifold would not have provision for EGR. My vehicle is registered as a "collector" and will not be smog checked. The car runs fine as is. Is there a performance downside or upside if the EGR is eventually removed? Thanks.
The car will run fine. The downside here (Ontario) is visuals: if it is not in place then there is a fine. Not a sniffer test, just a visual. That may not be relevant where you live.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-03-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Entropy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nope, he said it is only used during light cruise. How are you going to define light cruise? That's like saying we only use A/C at moderate temperatures. Just . Now lars is going over other people spreading and tells everyone he hates this forum because of . Also I said I was curious, I was not being a dick I just wanted to properly use the '. And to lars read "Computer controlled EGR's in C-3s?" "Nope not in a c3. By "newer" I was referring to newer cars not newer c3s. Just curious is there supposed to be a ' in EGRs?" before you say "There is no computer control of the EGR on a C3, so your comments are invalid"

Also Lars goes around spreading about Demon carbs having crap in them but if you get one from recent production and speak to BG you would know they now clean them and check them before shipping.
stfu n00b.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:51 AM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Yes, you are being a dick, and an a$$. You joined today and come in this forum insulting others. I am sure you are a previous member that has had verbal battles you lost repeatedly with Lars, probably one of the idiots that made him want to leave in the first place. You need to change your name on this forum.
He is no longer with us

Quick Reply: EGR Valve, Do I Need This?