C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1978 horn issue

All,

Today my horns decided to leave the building....in a spritual sense. I had fixed them earlier (last fall) when I rebuilt my horn botton on the steering wheel. All worked well since then. However today I wanted to test the horn and had nothing except the sound of the relay (that I replaced when I did the horn bottom last fall).

I think I know the answer, but wanted to be sure. Here is what I have done:

1) cleaned all the grounds (horn mounting spots and the wiring connections at the horn- no workie...
2) Used my voltmeter to verify power to the horn (the first one) and when I push the horn button I get 12 volts. I can also hear the rely under the dash clicking.
3) I removed the first horn and attempted to get it to blow by adding a jumper wire to the wiring connection (input) and grounding it with another wire and then connected each end of the jumper wire to the appropriate side of a fully charged battery- no workie.
4) sprayed electrical cleaner into the horn (what the heck) and attempted #3 again. I got a small wimper- but it ended.

I am thinking the horns are shot- but I can not figure out why both horns do not work- if I connect the first one shouldn't the other work or is the last one dependent upon the first one?

Any help is appreciated!

Dan
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Default Update

I fixed the horns.....I think they were stuck. I let them sit for a wile (after using some liquid wrench) and gave them a little tap with a rachet and they work just fine !!

Problem solved- moral of the story is check to see if they are stuck before you spend the money for new ones.

My 8 year old son and I even took it for a cruise this evening!

Dan
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
reckerrp98
Intermediate

My horn has never worked---I was going to start with the relay. Do you know where it is? I assume on the firewall, but not sure and don't want to start replacing random relays!!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
pwcheenie
Intermediate

Horn relay on an 80 is under the dash near the fuze box.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:43 AM
each_mc19
Cruising

My horn never worked, and one day someone swerved in front of me in traffic and when I braked to avoid the collision I felt my steering will pull out toward me about a quarter inch, and behold, now my horn works.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 horn issue

Quick Reply: 1978 horn issue