C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette V12?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
A 1911 (handgun) forum I belong to is considering hosting photos for members for a small fee of $10.00 a year. It would be only for photos posted on that forum, not universal.
Perhaps Corvette Forum could do likewise.
another forum I am on does it for free but it is a smaller site.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
A 1911 (handgun) forum I belong to is considering hosting photos for members for a small fee of $10.00 a year. It would be only for photos posted on that forum, not universal.
Perhaps Corvette Forum could do likewise.
CF already does: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html

User CP>Pictures and Albums>double click picture>share>copy

I'm sure there's a pic limit depending on membership level...don't know what limits are.

Last edited by jim2527; 08-21-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Legalised version of ransomware?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I have been using Photobucket- Flickr - my own website and the Corvette Forum to host pictures the last couple years- when PB keep telling me they wanted money as I was going over their limit...screw them...

I don't get how you can have 100 million users and not be able to make a viable business out of it? But what do I know... Anyway- going through slowly and replacing the pics...

Past few years the V12 has sort of become garage art- just sort of piddling with it...had to drop the trans as the hydraulic line broke...couple steps back- as I re-engineered how it was done- A little notching on the bellhousing and I was able to solve the issue.

I got a wild hair and decided to redo the interior to mimic a Lamborghini Miura-

Lambo-

My mimic... not finished - but you get the idea

Gauges- actually mantle clock glass and trim

Gauge mock up- went w/ oil temp gauge as I'm running a dry sump

Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

The exhaust and oil lines where having a tough time coexisting...

Dropped the pan- and got some 90º fitting-polished up while I was at it....

Put some heat shield on the oil lines- now fit nice and tight against the block-Don't look too closely at the exhaust...that was some steel I had laying around for mock up...

Down pipes- 304 SS polished it up too!

Side pipes- actually two pipes in one- 2½" straight pipes and w/ electric cutout I can run a glasspac

Last edited by Richard454; 08-21-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

And while I was at it...

I added electric steering- from a Nissan Cube

Since I'm using a pushbutton start- I put the controls for the wiper in the steering column- the wiper motor is off a C4- delay module is off a late 90's Caddy.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I also went with a new set of injectors....trust me- they are NOT cheaper by the dozen!!!

while I was at it- redid the the fuel rails mounting and hid the injector wiring w/ some copper tubing-

Also added screens to the velocity stacks-
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Only thing that comes to mind is... WOW
Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Some quality work going into that, great job Richard!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys!!!

The project I'm messing with right now- is getting nice clean-cool air to the engine-without having a big airbox covering the polished velocity stacks.

I really like the look of this hood vent/scoop

So here's a start on mine-

Here's the airbox mocked up- Idea is to make it part of the hood and have the rubber gaskets seal the stacks- just have two gaskets right now...need about 10 more!!

Looking at having the airbox incorporate into the hood as well...

The following users liked this post:
M Pete (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I love seeing progress on this build.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 385 Likes on 313 Posts

Keep in mind that that scoop was designed by the stylists who put it where it looks like it would work the best and not by engineers who would put it where it really would work the best. I would think that drawing air from the cowl would be where the engineers would and did with the L88 design.
Please tell us more about the Electric Power Steering. I think its just a matter of time before the aftermarket points us in the route. Just the same way that Rack and Pinion has been reverse engineered to fit our cars. Why have very little PS with the engine idling when You need it and lots of PS when the engine is up to speed and you don't need PS. That's the way Hydraulic PS works now.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by M Pete
I love seeing progress on this build.
THANKS...I do too- one day I'm going to drive it!!!

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Keep in mind that that scoop was designed by the stylists who put it where it looks like it would work the best and not by engineers who would put it where it really would work the best. I would think that drawing air from the cowl would be where the engineers would and did with the L88 design.
Please tell us more about the Electric Power Steering. I think its just a matter of time before the aftermarket points us in the route. Just the same way that Rack and Pinion has been reverse engineered to fit our cars. Why have very little PS with the engine idling when You need it and lots of PS when the engine is up to speed and you don't need PS. That's the way Hydraulic PS works now.
Yep the scoop is a compromise...BUT getting cold air to the engine and it looks good...I'm running fuel injection not a carb...so the electronics will compensate..Ram effect? Don't know? New Vettes run a similar scoop...

Electric Power Steering
I'm using one from a 2010-12 Nissan Cube- Including the adapter-I'm in a little over a $100.

Had to mod the steering column-and found a u-joint that would accommodate the Nissan electric assist motor to connect with the stock box- Just have to connect to power/ground /ignition and mount a control box.

Here's a great read on "How to" electric power steering-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-videos.html

Here's what I have run into-

1) If you want to have the collapsible steering shaft- taking the column apart and cutting is required.
1b) If you don't want to retain the collapsible steering column- Taking apart the column and cutting is required!!!
1c) Tilt-Tele- that's going to take even more work...

2) You have just about 9" between the firewall and stock steering box- if you are running a manual trans - you will need to convert to a hydraulic as there is no room for the Z-bar....

3)You will loose the reverse lock-

Here's my cutting-

Stock shaft- blue tape indicates firewall

Stock shaft cut- and inner stack shaft was cut to retain collapsible. Nissan steering wheel adapter

Nissan adapter turned down to fit cut-down OEM shaft

This will get welded

Fits into motor's torque sensor tube

Looking into the column-

Nissan bracket- fits almost perfect in the OEM column. A little more work (probably notch the OEM column) and it will be welded to the firewall bracket.

Here's what it looks like- motor slides into column- just have to design a mount to the frame for the motor.

Control module-

Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 385 Likes on 313 Posts

Thanx for the update and all the Pics on how You did the EPS. And yes a great blog on all the EPS systems out there some how I had not seen that one. Amazing the knowledge these people have including you. The Late Corvette Rack and Pinion with the EPS Motor in it caught my attention. Since I have all ready done the Steeroids it might not be that hard to do. But it must have a separate controller, and probably not the fail safe that is so popular with the Japanese cars.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
THANKS...I do too- one day I'm going to drive it!!!

Yep the scoop is a compromise...BUT getting cold air to the engine and it looks good...I'm running fuel injection not a carb...so the electronics will compensate..Ram effect? Don't know? New Vettes run a similar scoop...

Electric Power Steering
I'm using one from a 2010-12 Nissan Cube- Including the adapter-I'm in a little over a $100.

Had to mod the steering column-and found a u-joint that would accommodate the Nissan electric assist motor to connect with the stock box- Just have to connect to power/ground /ignition and mount a control box.

Here's a great read on "How to" electric power steering-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-videos.html

Here's what I have run into-

1) If you want to have the collapsible steering shaft- taking the column apart and cutting is required.
1b) If you don't want to retain the collapsible steering column- Taking apart the column and cutting is required!!!
1c) Tilt-Tele- that's going to take even more work...

2) You have just about 9" between the firewall and stock steering box- if you are running a manual trans - you will need to convert to a hydraulic as there is no room for the Z-bar....

3)You will loose the reverse lock-

Here's my cutting-

Stock shaft- blue tape indicates firewall

Stock shaft cut- and inner stack shaft was cut to retain collapsible. Nissan steering wheel adapter

Nissan adapter turned down to fit cut-down OEM shaft

This will get welded

Fits into motor's torque sensor tube

Looking into the column-

Nissan bracket- fits almost perfect in the OEM column. A little more work (probably notch the OEM column) and it will be welded to the firewall bracket.

Here's what it looks like- motor slides into column- just have to design a mount to the frame for the motor.

Control module-

You have an amazing project going on. Unique and pushing the envelope if you will. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by caskiguy
You have an amazing project going on. Unique and pushing the envelope if you will. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy
Thank you Sir-

I've been buying a bunch of little bits and pieces...even got a new Dewits Radiator-

Had a Dewiits one for my mock up- got damaged while in storage - and just couldn't stomach buying another one. Put a Champion in that I got for a little more than a C note- fit like crap- just don't like the idea of something as important as a radiator then going cheap...So I am pulling it out and redoing- a couple steps back...but I'll feel better about it!!!

I mean look at these welds!!!!

Old 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Richard, the Dewitts radiator is an excellent product. The one they made for me had two modifications included at no extra charge. The temperature sensor bung on the driver side and a -6 AN bung for the big block expansion tank connection on the passenger side (trans cooler was also included for $30).

A 3/8" compression to -6 AN on the expansion tank reduces the chance of that little hose causing a big problem.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette V12?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
Richard, the Dewitts radiator is an excellent product. The one they made for me had two modifications included at no extra charge. The temperature sensor bung on the driver side and a -6 AN bung for the big block expansion tank connection on the passenger side (trans cooler was also included for $30).

A 3/8" compression to -6 AN on the expansion tank reduces the chance of that little hose causing a big problem.
Hey Bob-

AHHH- that's a great idea- already have fittings on the Canton expansion tank- and AN line to the Radiator- but used a faux AN fitting. I did the cardboard cover too.

I have two temp sensors- both in the coolant crossover pipe between the heads- one is a GM sensor which the original dash gauge uses- just added a bung for it. The second is the OEM BMW sensor which feeds the ECU- and I can read it on the I-phone and it is logged.

Also have a oil temp sensor in the bottom of my dry sump tank-using a original gauge from a 80-82 refaced to match.

So I should be good to go as far as reading temps!!!

I've got to get some exhaust pipe welded- Looks like the radiator is going to my buddy's shop too!!!

Old radiator coming out-

Canton expansion tank-

GM sensor in the x-overpipe

Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Time for some updates-

I have a set goal to get this thing on the road- first of June!!!

The Hotrod Power Tour is in my backyard this year- so figure I can either limp home or towing won't be that bad!!!

Here's the stops-

Saturday, June 9 – Bowling Green, KY
Beech Bend Raceway Park

Sunday, June 10 –Chattanooga, TN
Chattanooga State Community College

Monday, June 11 – Hoover, AL
Hoover Metropolitan Stadium

Tuesday, June 12 – Hampton, GA
Atlanta Motor Speedway

Wednesday, June 13 – Darlington, SC
Darlington Raceway

Thursday, June 14 – Raleigh, NC
PNC Arena

Friday, June 15 – Concord, NC
zMAX Dragway

Here's what I have been up to-

The cooling system-

Had a leak behind the waterpump ( used air to check for leaks)- it was a NPT fitting that I had blocked off- impossible to get at...So started taking of the front oil pump drive - serp drive and then decided to go to Harbor Freight and get some sacrificial tools. I grinded a couple sockets and hex key up and was able to get to it.

Leak stopped...however found my bran new radiator cap on my expansion tank was leaking- a spray bottle with soapy water found it.

Got a really nice piece off eBay for under $20-

I got an AN fitting welded to the new radiator-

And while I was at it- I redid the angle of the tensioner on the serp drive- got a new pulley (smaller) and made a new bracket out of aluminum-

Ready to go back together-

The exhaust is pretty much figured out-

Here's the removable piece- so I can take the muffler apart-

Uses factor frame mount-

All put together- O2 sensor bung in

Now to finish up the brakes-

Got a Eastwood double flare tool-

And after doing some research - found out that I needed a 7/8" bore versus the 1" bore already bolted on- haven't put fluid in it yet.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Richard, what symptom caused you to change the master bore?

Bill

Quick Reply: Corvette V12?