C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z068 Rear Suspension complete photo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, you're getting plenty of feedback, now. Maybe it was just the time of week you posted...usually not much chatter during the week.

It may be like it is in the corporate world. If you ask a group of folks how to save $10million from the budget, it gets really quiet...because NOBODY knows how to do it. But, if you ask the same group what color to paint the bicycle rack? Then you get no end of opinions and arguments.

Your rear suspension is exotic enough that most folks didn't know what to say or to ask (including me). Nice setup. Let us know how well it works.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Well, you're getting plenty of feedback, now. Maybe it was just the time of week you posted...usually not much chatter during the week.

It may be like it is in the corporate world. If you ask a group of folks how to save $10million from the budget, it gets really quiet...because NOBODY knows how to do it. But, if you ask the same group what color to paint the bicycle rack? Then you get no end of opinions and arguments.

Your rear suspension is exotic enough that most folks didn't know what to say or to ask (including me). Nice setup. Let us know how well it works.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

well stated!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
keith robinson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went to have my 75 vete align and the teck said that was too much play in side shafts i pulled teh rear out and did not see a problem except maybe snap rings might be a little wore down and he said that when he turned one side the other side shoule go the other way need some help thanls in advance books dont show much
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Neptune75
well stated!
Yes to 7T1Vette and Yes to Neptune; very well put.

I have been lookin and just not speakin. If you would have supplied additional photos of the process and provided some tech on the system it would have drawn interest and denerated some comments.

As it is it provideds a very nice looking chassie.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by keith robinson
i went to have my 75 vete align and the teck said that was too much play in side shafts i pulled teh rear out and did not see a problem except maybe snap rings might be a little wore down and he said that when he turned one side the other side shoule go the other way need some help thanls in advance books dont show much
First thing to do is a find a new tech since it is obvious he has never aligned a posi. He may have never aligned a vette before.
As for the endplay there are several causes. Most common problems are stub axle wear and clutch wear. How much play is there?
Mike
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Z068
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FatCat Red 25th
Yes to 7T1Vette and Yes to Neptune; very well put.

I have been lookin and just not speakin. If you would have supplied additional photos of the process and provided some tech on the system it would have drawn interest and denerated some comments.

As it is it provideds a very nice looking chassie.
You know, I had been posting all along. I just made the mistake of not keeping it all on the same thread. If you look back and search you will see the process from a complete car to complete deconstruct to what you see now. It was my error, I will from this point on use only this thread. I'm about to get more parts to get moving again.

Keep watchin,

Steve
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z068
Huh?

Actually all the stuff is bolt on and not that expensive.
Yes...

But which way will it load the circlips on the stub axles ??

-W
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

It is an awesome looking set up, and thanks for posting it. When will you be making some test drives and giving a road report? I'm interested to know if you need a sway bar or a heavier one than stock or if you can get the loading controlled with the shock settings. Did you use the heavy 400 in/lb springs or the lighter street springs?

Got my October issue of Vette magazine in the mail today and there is a good install article for the Shark Bite system in it starting on page 34. They said 6 hours, do you agree?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Z068
Instructor

As far as test drive, my goal is to have complete roller by Christmas. I was stuck without parts for the last three months. I just received Van Steel lower control arms an installed them last night. (10 Min install)

I also just received my Baer rear brakes, I went with the speed direct Z06 fronts and would have preferred to keep same on rear, the rears are "off the drawing board" for now so I decided to go Baer, also look very nice and I'm sure are as powerfull as the Z06 fronts will be.

Install time on the shark bite, I did it on a bare frame, so ? on a car I would think a lazy weekend maybe. I do have a rear sway bar as well, but it is a quick install and would be in the way right now so I will install it at a later date.

Pics to follow soon,

Steve
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Coolness
I suppose. To each his own. That's a lot of time, effort and money for something that's not going to cure the basic problems of the stock C3 rear geometry. Also, if it's just going to driven around by the wife, what's the point?

It's your money, and your choice, of course, but it makes no sense to me.

(You wanted feedback. Here's mine.)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Z068
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69427
I suppose. To each his own. That's a lot of time, effort and money for something that's not going to cure the basic problems of the stock C3 rear geometry. Also, if it's just going to driven around by the wife, what's the point?

It's your money, and your choice, of course, but it makes no sense to me.

(You wanted feedback. Here's mine.)
Dang!!! just when I was going to finish it
So I guess you would advise agaist an LS7 as well?

Steve
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Dang!!! just when I was going to finish it
So I guess you would advise agaist an LS7 as well?

Steve
No, as long as you're spending your money, and not mine, please do what you want with it. I just don't understand the point of all this work and expense.

FWIW, I'm running a ZL-1, 5 speed, and a C4 suspension with Wilwood brakes in my '69. A bit of expense, and a crapload of work (all by me). But everything in this car has a purpose during track days, and it all earns its keep.

You asked for members opinions at the start of this thread. Don't get upset when you don't hear what you want to hear.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Z068
Instructor

No, as long as you're spending your money, and not mine, please do what you want with it. I just don't understand the point of all this work and expense.

FWIW, I'm running a ZL-1, 5 speed, and a C4 suspension with Wilwood brakes in my '69. A bit of expense, and a crapload of work (all by me). But everything in this car has a purpose during track days, and it all earns its keep.

You asked for members opinions at the start of this thread. Don't get upset when you don't hear what you want to hear.

69er,

Yep, a bunch of money, but it is only money. And yes time, quite alot of that as well. But man, do I like workin with my tools!!! I also like all these box's full of shiny stuff. I also dig boats, blowers and chicks with nice butts.

I as well am doing all my own work, I've never done a car but I've done several boats, can't be that hard. Everything in this car has a purpose as well, the brakes will stop it (hopefully) and the radio will give my wife many many miles of driving pleasure.

As far as upset.....nah, you just failed to get the tongue in cheek nature of it all! after all this is supposed to be fun. right? I'm enjoyin every nut bolt and washer. My skin is sufficiently thick for a car forum, I race bicycles, I have learned to lose with humility and win with grace. No worries on my end chum.

The purpose of this particular thread was to share a project I thought might be kinda cool, that's all, nothin more than that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pic shows Speed Direct uppers and Van Steel lowers installed, have all brakes now. Leaving for Alaska Friday for a bit. so won't be installing those till return. The pic looks kind of odd I suppose, the front of the frame rails are just hanging out in thin air due to the amount of weight on the rear of the car, front jack stands were removed for the picture.

Steve

Last edited by Z068; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Tech Contributor

69er,

Yep, a bunch of money, but it is only money. And yes time, quite alot of that as well. But man, do I like workin with my tools!!! I also like all these box's full of shiny stuff. I also dig boats, blowers and chicks with nice butts. I'm into street rods, turbos, and chicks with nice butts.

I as well am doing all my own work, I've never done a car but I've done several boats, can't be that hard. Everything in this car has a purpose as well, the brakes will stop it (hopefully) and the radio will give my wife many many miles of driving pleasure.

As far as upset.....nah, you just failed to get the tongue in cheek nature of it all! after all this is supposed to be fun. right? You are correct. I'm enjoyin every nut bolt and washer. My skin is sufficiently thick for a car forum, I race bicycles, I have learned to lose with humility and win with grace. No worries on my end chum.

The purpose of this particular thread was to share a project I thought might be kinda cool, that's all, nothin more than that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pic shows Speed Direct uppers and Van Steel lowers installed, have all brakes now. Leaving for Alaska Friday for a bit. so won't be installing those till return. The pic looks kind of odd I suppose, the front of the frame rails are just hanging out in thin air due to the amount of weight on the rear of the car, front jack stands were removed for the picture.

Steve
If I'm not being too nosey, what's happening in Alaska? I lived there for several years, and bought my '69 (used) in Anchorage. I loved driving the Corvette in the winding highways there.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Z068
Instructor

If I'm not being too nosey, what's happening in Alaska? I lived there for several years, and bought my '69 (used) in Anchorage. I loved driving the Corvette in the winding highways there.
Now thats funny!!!!!!! well done!!!

I am doing a sheep / Griz / caribou hunt in the Brooks range.

See ya in about 2 weeks

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Z068 Rear Suspension complete photo

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

..."only money"

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but in this economy that could come off to some a bit like "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche."
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Z068
Instructor

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche."

What the heck does that mean? must be Greek

And no, "Its only money" was my tongue in cheek banter with 69427. Who I see now, also has a very healthy sense of humor.

If it aint fun I refuse to participate

Steve
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

This thread and build are very cool. Please keep posting the pictures. The frame and suspension look great so far. I can't comment any further because I don't have a clue how the rear suspension works and what the advantages are. I will say that it does look impressive as heck though.

Quick Reply: Z068 Rear Suspension complete photo