C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC Trick Flow Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 68post
I would be interested !
PM sent, (offer to jordan89 withstanding of course)

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the Trick flow heads if you can. I only paid $300 for mine but each head had a pitted chamber. The valves and guides had been replaced and they were milled slightly as well. I had to change the valve springs since I'm guessing they were on a roller drag motor.

If they are twisted wedge heads here's what you MUST know:

1. You need the offset trunnion COMPCAMS rocker arms made special for the intake valves. (you'll never get the pushrod lengths correct without bottoming out the trunnion otherwise)
2. Intake and exhaust lengths will likely be different. Mine were, so you have to pay close attention during assembly.
3. Be sure to check for valve to piston clearance (oddly, my intake valve clearance was closer but still good)
4. Be sure to measure, measure and then measure again for your pushrod lengths.

The rocker arm to valve stem geometry is really important and I think a lot of guys don't take the time on this and end up side loading the intake valves, wearing the guides and sucking oil. I think Trick flow got a bit of a bad rap for this because the COMPCAM rockers weren't part of the spec sheet or instructions. Do the homework, take the time dry run measurements.

I love mine. I have run the engine hard (up to 5800 - 6000 RPM several times) and it does quite well. I'm pleased with the performance.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I bought a used set and at first did not follow the widespread recommendation to use Crane Gold roller rockers. Used some other brand and could not get proper contact on valve stem tips with any pushrod length. Tossed the rockers and found a good used set of Crane Golds, made a pushrod length tool to dial in correct length and all is good. Absolute no mods needed and they work fine with my hedman headers.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 PM
hadams
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gen 1 trick flow heads

It's a bit of work to go through but Generation I Trick Flow Heads, PN TFS-3140E915 are pretty good. I had heard a random complaint or two about them being smokers as I did all of my research. I chalked this up to people not paying attention to their rocker arm geometry and ending up damaging their valve guides with errantly sized push rods and improper rocker arm geometry, thus causing the smoke. Like you, I first tried to use a regular 1.5:1 roller rocker for the intake (not knowing any better) and ended up bottoming out the rocker trunion on the push rod guides before even getting close to setting the right geometry. That's what sent me to the internet to do all of the research. I used these: COPMCAMS CCA-1607-8 1.52:1 Special Offset Trunion for Twisted Wedge Intake Valves. Tech Support at Trick Flow was not forthcoming about this and their installation documentation does not point this out either. Another thing to be cautious of, is the intake valve orientation. With the valve being rotated toward the intake port, you can loose some clearance that you may be counting on if you have relieved pistons. Always good to check piston to valve clearance anyway after you determine the correct pushrod length when you do custom work, no matter what the tech support folks tell you. Bottom line - Always do you own pushrod length study and check you valve to piston clearance. Never go by what ANY Tech support line tells you.I think I ended up with about .030 clearance at the closest point. Would have expected the exhaust to be closer but not the case with the Trick Flow set up.

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
I bought a used set and at first did not follow the widespread recommendation to use Crane Gold roller rockers. Used some other brand and could not get proper contact on valve stem tips with any pushrod length. Tossed the rockers and found a good used set of Crane Golds, made a pushrod length tool to dial in correct length and all is good. Absolute no mods needed and they work fine with my hedman headers.

Quick Reply: SBC Trick Flow Heads