C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the rear defogger wires as radio antenna with any sucess ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Anyone use the rear defogger wires as radio antenna with any sucess ?

Like the title says I know someone did this a while back a reported it worked good.

That is he connected his radio antenna input to the wires in the rear window that are used for defogging. I don't have a heater, A/C I just recently took the controls out of console and put a plate in there, so I certainly don't need these wires to de-ice anything

Would like to know if anyone else has done it, how to do it and more importantly does it work good ?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Never tried it but if it were me I would try touching the center wire of the antenna wire to one of the wires going to the grid.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 AM
rave3c0
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant help you on with the how... but i can verify that yes it works. The previous owner to my 79 vette has it wired that way, but the "how" is another question beyond my knowledge!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
straub18045
Racer

you will get less reception than with an antenna, but sounds like an added feature
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,740 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

GM years back tried the windshield antenna- however they used a dipole design- Each side of the antenna was about 31 inches in length. Worked OK for FM but sucked for AM. (Same as an old TV antenna design)

The best design is the stock antenna- known as a vertical a ground plane. Which is omnidirectional unlike the TV 'dipole design.'

For a ground plane- FM- The ideal antenna would be around 31". For AM- a couple hundred feet. You also need a "ground plane"- and you don't have that w/ a Corvette body since it's not metal. That's what GM tried to do w/ the steel panel underneath the factory antenna.

The defroster wire is horizontal- will work OK for FM but good luck w/ AM. It will be directional and some loss since it's not vertical.

Take the center conductor and attach to the defroster wire- Disconnect the other side. Try to cut back the shield as minimal as you can-then run the shield to a ground.

And make sure the defroster is not hooked up- you'll toast the radio.

Richard
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
straub18045
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
GM years back tried the windshield antenna-
gm still has them, there in most gm cars and trucks, you can tell because they dont have an antenna, there is a grid by the rearview mirror witch is the 'antenna'
Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure you were just trying to reduce your C/D.

Seems you would need to pull both power and ground connection from the defroster connection at the rear window, and connect up your center antenna lead from the antenna coax cable.

After that, let us know how it works.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,740 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

You are right- that design they've been using since the late 1990s is totally different-Where as the whole window has a metal oxide coating between the layers of glass. A lot of newer cars also have a 'diversity' antenna system- Basically two antenna and the electronics switch between them- the second antenna is the grid. Helps cut out the multipath- or static on FM.

I was referring to GM's design used in the 80's- which is similar to what Motorhead is try to accomplish
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

"I hope you don't get a little to warm or cold, honey"

Man the camera picks up any little dings or scratches I can't even see when I get in

I'll probably just fix the OEM antenna, I don't want to go through all the hassle and not have good reception. Not to say the OEM mast antenna is that good in the first place

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use the rear defogger wires as radio antenna with any sucess ?

Quick Reply: Anyone use the rear defogger wires as radio antenna with any sucess ?