C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing blinker problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 12:43 PM
MikeT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing blinker problem!

Right blinker works fine. When I turn on the left side, it blinks very quickly 3-4 times and then blows fuse. I have replced all of the bulbs and sockets, front and back. Even pulled the main wiring harness apart and cleaned all of the terminals. Checked all grounding wires and they are good. I'm thinking that this could be a turn switch problem!!! Any other suggestions of help???
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: Need help diagnosing blinker problem! (MikeT)

You might go to the auto shop on post if you need a volt meter or other tools

:flag

Hooah!
Old 03-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: Need help diagnosing blinker problem! (Kingt)

Something happened to my original post. I must have clicked the wrong button.

Anyway, Pull the fuse that blows and remove all of the lights in the turnsignal circuit. I don't have a schematic in front of me so I don't know if you'll have to remove the TS indicator bulbs or not. Connect a volt meter set to measure resistance on the correct terminal of the fuse. Switch the turn signal lever between right and left while observing the meter. A low reading will indicate that you have a short to ground somewhere. If the left side reacts this way, wiggle the wiring harness and see if the reading changes. If so you've found the general area of the problem. As you have said you may have a defective TS switch. An analog meter works best for this but a DWM will work also.

Good Luck

:flag
Old 03-21-2002, 12:07 AM
WATTAC
Racer

I agree with the suggestion to remove the turn signal fuse. Set the meter to Ohms, connect one side to the "cold" side of the fuse. The "hot" side will have +12 volts that you can measure with the voltmeter after you take out the fuse. Measure between either fuse terminal and chassis ground. The "cold" side ties to the rest of the turn signal circuit, lamps, switch, etc. Without the fuse, and 12 volt power you can now test it for a short to ground. Remove all the left turn signal lamps (and yes the turn signal indicator may be the short, but I doubt if you can get to it. If you see a short to ground with the left signals on and no lamps then you'll have to start the long process of finding the short. Possible locations: turn signal switch, turn signal cable leading down the steering column, hazard wiring, hazard switch (on column), any wiring running to the lamps.

My first pass guess --- the switch in the steering column. Pull the steering wheel and get down to the point where you'd normally replace the sw. A bit of work, but do-able. Look at the sw. and see if everything is in place with no visable breaks. Look for broken wires, broken contacts.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 03-22-2002, 01:28 AM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Also try the blinker itself. Mine did this once..Would work sporaticly and then quit. It confused me because its on the passenger side under the map pocket. Hope you find the problem!!! :smash:
Old 03-22-2002, 06:37 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try another flasher first. Cheap, and easy. Do not alway expect the most complicated problems first. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need help diagnosing blinker problem!

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing blinker problem!