C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec Head Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 10:50 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Vortec Head Question

Do Vortec heads use a center bolt design for the valve covers or the older 4-bolt style? I would like to go to Vortec heads, but I would like to keep my L-82 aluminum valve covers. Also, I've heard that some of the heads are drilled for both standard and Vortec-style intakes. Where can I get a set with both patterns?

TIA,
Old 03-21-2002, 11:25 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vortec Head Question (e3pres)

Vortecs have / use the center bolt valve covers. I've seen GM Performance Parts offer a set of machined adaptors which are bolted to the Vortecs, and then have studs to allow you to use your original L-82 valve covers, but these adaptors are pretty expensive. Believe they run around $110.

Regarding your other votec question, it's been said many times on this forum, don't drill your vortecs for old intake bolt pattern and use old intake.........the seal area is not good at all.........much better to puchase the vortec specific intake from after market (Edelbrock) or from GM, both of which offer a vortec intake, and there probably are other suppliers as well.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:38 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Vortec Head Question (john's '81 mouse)

Awww, man... I was hoping that you would give me some good news. :(

J/J Thanks for the info. :cheers:
Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 AM
villare
Instructor

Default Re: Vortec Head Question (e3pres)

john's '81 mouse is right about the vortec heads, is center bolted and you need another intake and is not advisable to drill another bolt pattern on them and if you still go with changing the heads, let me know because i have an extra brand new edelbrock intake for the vortec heads if you are interested
Ray
Old 03-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Chucks76
Racer

Default Re: Vortec Head Question (villare)

Villare
I am interested in the intake if its not too much. I have a set of Vortec heads that have been sitting in my shop for the last year or so. E-mail me and lets do some bartering!

Get notified of new replies

To Vortec Head Question

Quick Reply: Vortec Head Question