C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Vacuum Advance

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Vacuum Advance

Hey guys just an FYI......

I was having "Chugging / Surging" problems and through a lot of reading of posts on here I found that it was a timing / Vacuum issue.

After researching which replacement Advance to go with, from a B9 and a B26, the one on the car was a B18. I went with the Adjustable Advance from Crane part # 99601-1

Solved the problem! We got the car dialed in on timing/vacuum within an hour. Total 36. Tight where she is supposed to be. No detonation, no surging and lots of power!

I read on here guy saying to avoid the adjustable vacuum, but I can't understand why, it was really simple if you follow the instructions.

IMHO Adjustable is the way to go!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have used them and found them to be too much trouble to dial in verses a fixed advance.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Default Was no biggie

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I have used them and found them to be too much trouble to dial in verses a fixed advance.
Took all of an hour to install and dial it in. Runs awesome !
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
myk7
Pro

My first one took about 20 minutes.. the last one took about 5. I think I had to take out about 6 degrees on both.. 3 full turns or something like that. I like'em.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I've only used them on other, heavier cars, in order to tune out a part-throttle detonation problem, and the Crane unit provides a simple, systematic tuning process to optimize the advance curve. The only three things you end up adjusting are initial advance, rate of vacuum advance, and the limit to the total amount of vacuum advance, so it's not all that complicated. You could also fine-tune the mechanical advance-springs in there, if you really wanted to fine-tune everything all in one shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable Vacuum Advance

Quick Reply: Adjustable Vacuum Advance