C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LS Engine to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
stevecerr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best LS Engine to buy

I am wanting to buy a beat up motor I can stroke to 427ci, add heads intake and all the performance parts so I was thinking that getting a junked motor with everything attached would be best value versus building a long block them hunting down whats needed.

What would be the best bang for the buck donor car? Camaro, Gto,Trailblazer or Escalade ect?

An aluminum block would be my first choice. I see many have used all types of engines along the way in there swaps.

Which has the most parts that can be used overall in a c3 swap

Last edited by stevecerr; 07-10-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
curtis75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the LS9 out of the ZR1 would be a good choice, but I don't think thts what your looking for. LS1's are usually easier to find and cheaper and still a good engine but I think the LS2 and LS6 are suppose to be better. Anything out of a Camaro, Corvette or GTO would be a good start if your looking for an aluminum block. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between the different LSx motors. I'm no expert just my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecerr
I am wanting to buy a beat up motor I can stroke to 427ci, add heads intake and all the performance parts so I was thinking that getting a junked motor with everything attached would be best value versus building a long block them hunting down whats needed.

What would be the best bang for the buck donor car? Camaro, Gto,Trailblazer or Escalade ect?

An aluminum block would be my first choice. I see many have used all types of engines along the way in there swaps.

Which has the most parts that can be used overall in a c3 swap
IMO the best engine to use is the F-body (Camaro, Firebird). The accessories fit into the C3 frame and there are no problems with oil pan clearance regardless of the steering system you choose to use. Truck and other iron block LS-engines are less expensive but you will have to locate the brackets for mounting the accessories and possibly an oil pan.

Rick B.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

L92 6.2L. Good heads, intake and aluminum block. Stroke to 426, make 625+hp, streetable.

Get notified of new replies

To Best LS Engine to buy

Quick Reply: Best LS Engine to buy