C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Problem(?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Fscott
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem(?)

After I drove about 10 miles yesterday and parked for about 15 minutes the car would not start....slight turnover and nothing. gave it a jump and it started. brought the car home and it started right up a few hours later...drove it for 3 miles parked for 2 hours started up, drove for another 3 miles parked for 2 hours and dead again...jumped and it started.
New starter, new battery, alternator 1 year old. tested battery and charging system and all is working fine. Could this have anything to do with the starter getting heat from the headers? any thoughts on how to track a random discharge? Would a shutoff switch at the battery be an option?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing says because its new stuff its not bad but considering I would look at the neg battery cable ground where it bolts to the frame under the battery. Check all your ground leads and clean them.
If you want to do some detective work next time it happens check the S terminal on the starter to see if its getting power when the key is in the start position,if it is getting power replace the solenoid.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
fishfryer
Intermediate

Definitely check grounds, heat soak from the headers is a maybe, but is this a new problem or a year old problem? Big block? Timing? Very hot day? It could be the solenoid on the starter getting too hot and requiring too much juice, maybe there is a remote solenoid retrofit that you can look into if that is it.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Fscott
Instructor

I'm thinking it probably is heat soak from the headers. I'm going to wrap them and also get an insulated cover for the starter.
I've never heard of a remote solenoid...very cool. I will also have to look into that.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fscott
I'm thinking it probably is heat soak from the headers. I'm going to wrap them and also get an insulated cover for the starter.
I've never heard of a remote solenoid...very cool. I will also have to look into that.
Thanks
That was my first thought while reading until I came to you saying it tried to start and when you jumped it it started." Solenoid" heat soak doesn't usually act that way. With "solenoid" heat soak its a total disconnect until it cools.
All other "heat soak" issues are usually bad connection related but I have seen sulfated or overcharged battery's give a condition like this. If you feel its a battery thing , and you can usually smell it, be very careful with the battery,treat it like a bomb.

I still recommend rigging up a bulb and some wire to monitor the purple wire S terminal so you will know if you are getting power to the S terminal. Its possible you have a neutral ,clutch switch,ign switch , wiring problem. Rigging up a test light will put you out front of your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Problem(?)

Quick Reply: Starter Problem(?)