C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan Users. Quick Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric Fan Users. Quick Question.

Just curious for all of you guys that are running electric fans that are mounted to your radiator on the inside (pulling air through radiator). Since the core is in at a angle and the electric fan/fans point down towards the ground not the engine has anyone built or created any kind of air deflector that could be attached to the front cross member that would divert the air to blow across more of the motor and exhaust? Maybe this is a stupid idea but the factory shrouds direct the air flow to go across the motor? Just curious? Would it help vent heat out from under the hood better than just blowing straight down?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

The factory shrouds direct air across the engine because they conform to the fan, which is attached to the front of the engine.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The water pump where the fan is mounted is directly in front of the motor so this is where the shroud is. It has nothing to do with the fan cooling the motor. It does little if anything blowing air onto the motor.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default One other benefit..........

James,

I have a single 16" fan on a fibreglass shroud that I built myself. The fan is parallel to the radiator and of course blows down at an angle. Because of a Bubba'd "cut and shut" job on my transmission cooler lines, I cut the steel lines off near the fuel pump and used compression fittings to add new lines.

However, instead of going to the radiator, I put a 90 degree bend in both of them and ran them to one of those cylindrical transmission coolers with the radial fins. I mounted the cooler transversely just in front of the cross member so that the electric fan blows on it when the engine gets hot enough to switch the fan on. At other times, it relies on air picked up from under the car.

The system seems to work OK, but I haven't driven it on a hot day so far, but I can't see why it would not work. I don't believe that you need to have hot air blowing all over your engine if you can make it blow under the engine. The engine will get all the heat it needs from the burning of the petrol and the water in the jackets.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fan Users. Quick Question.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Users. Quick Question.