C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Overheating Problem Troubleshooting

Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
jhp6t8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Overheating Problem Troubleshooting

I could use some help with troubleshooting an overheating problem. My stock '68 overheated rapidly (within about 15 minutes of starting) when I was no more than a block from home. The temperature gauge climbed very quickly over 250 degrees.
The coolant level appeared normal in the expansion tank and the expansion tank (aluminum) was relatively cool to the touch.
The upper radiator hose was hot, the bottom radiator hose was about the same temperature, perhaps a little cooler.
As the car cooled down, the radiator failed with coolant coming out the lower third of the fins.
I have pulled the radiator and the thermostat. The thermostat appeared to be stuck open when I pulled it from the car.

I expected to find the thermostat stuck closed, given the rapidity of the overheating. Any thoughts on what caused this failure?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hard to tell really. Could be just blockage in the cooling system itself. If the radiator burst at the seams then the radiator cap failed to do it's job.

That quick of a temp climb would make me think the waterpump might have failed internally (assuming it wasn't a bad seal that was weeping).

When was the last time you drove it and did you make any changes to the car before this event happened?

If that is all original stuff then be happy it lasted so long. Time to upgrade unless you car is of the "stay stock" type.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
jhp6t8
3rd Gear

No changes to the car before this event, it has been months since I drove it. The water pump is not weeping so an internal failure is possible. I expect to change that too given its age but am trying to ensure I don't miss any other possible causes.
The radiator cap on this 327/350 is on the expansion tank and it never got hot so radiator failure happened without putting pressure of any magnitude on the cap. It was so cool that I opened it shortly after parking the car with only a small amount of pressure released.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you verified temp with IR gun? Do you have the shroud and all shroud seals in place, properly functioning fan clutch? If yes to all above I'd say plugged radiator and or bad pump.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
jhp6t8
3rd Gear

I don't have an IR gun, but it was very hot and note that it had only been running for 10-15 minutes. No issue with shroud/seals. Fan clutch appears to be good.
I pulled the pump tonight and the impeller is intact and there is no evidence of failure. I am going to take the radiator into a shop and see if they can tell me anything about it.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
mj9311
Racer

id also say water pump or blocked radiator...

a little off topic but i am rebuilding my 76 and is it necessary to use the shroud seeing as how i broke it on the way out
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by mj9311
a little off topic but i am rebuilding my 76 and is it necessary to use the shroud seeing as how i broke it on the way out
Yes.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you have coolant coming out of the lower 1/3 of the radiator fins as you stated, it's a pretty safe bet that your radiator is shot.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 Overheating Problem Troubleshooting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 Overheating Problem Troubleshooting