C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece rotors for C3's

Old 08-15-2010, 05:21 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 piece rotors for C3's

Does anyone know of a company who makes the 2 piece rotors/front and rear for a C3. I can only find them listed for 1997 and up......
Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

corvettengineering.com

Aluminum hub, ring made by coleman racing. I have the 13" size, other sizes available.

Compared to stock rotor:

And installed:

Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by zwede
corvettengineering.com

Aluminum hub, ring made by coleman racing. I have the 13" size, other sizes available.

Compared to stock rotor:

And installed:

ng

Thanks Markus, I was wondering what the weight savings is per rotor, maybe 2-3 lbs. with the aluminum center. I see you have Wildwood calipers, I'll see if they make the standard size rotors to use with the OEM calipers......
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The weight of the rotor is 19lbs, same as the stock one. But it's 1.25" larger.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

You might check Wilwood's website or one of their catalogs. I put two-piece rotors (and Wilwood calipers) on my '69 last year. Note the difference in rotor weight (5# less) and caliper weight (7# less), resulting in a weight reduction of 12# per corner (14 vs 26).

I have a C4 suspension on my '69, so I had to do some mixing and matching of the rotor and hat sizes so I could retain my 15" wheels for street driving, but still have capable brakes during track days.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Wilwood is going to be the lightest if thats what your after for the front. The rear's are maybe a pound lighter b/c a steel hat has to be used vs an aluminum hat b/c of the parking brakes.

Front 13" rotor w/hat are 14.5#'s each.

Rear 13" rotor w/hat is 19#'s each.

Front Kit
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...p=1961&ID=3011

Rear Kit
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...p=1961&ID=3003

Wilwood info and specs
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...model=Corvette

Last edited by Van Steel; 08-16-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I hope Keith at corvettengineering.com reads this

The 8 bolt hat and 13 inch rotor sets that I got from him in the kit are less expensive. But I since changed to the real deal at the below link.

These 12 bolt "GT" type are far superior for only a small cost increase

http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorList1.aspx
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

[QUOTE=gkull;1575026792]I hope Keith at corvettengineering.com reads this

The 8 bolt hat and 13 inch rotor sets that I got from him in the kit are less expensive. But I since changed to the real deal at the below link.

These 12 bolt "GT" type are far superior for only a small cost increase

http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorList1.aspx[

Thanks all for the info, wow what choices to make, my intensions are to just replace the heavy rotors with some lighter ones, I have the drilled and slotted rotors from Rotor Pros which have been working fine but are close to OEM weight. Just trying to loose some rotating weight and improve with some better pads/Hawk HPS for the yearly xcross event we do here...I sent Keith a pm and are waiting to see what he recommends....

Last edited by 73jst4fun; 08-17-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,
I got your PM, thought I'd answer here.
Corvette Engineering is basically done, it's hard to compete with the likes of Vette brakes and the mother ship, Wilwood...

I still have a bunch of brackets and a few calipers sets, but I'm not working at selling anything any more. I had my fun :-)

OK, 2 piece rotors, you get a slight weight reduction, but most of that is unsprung as it's all in the hat area, but hey, thats good too! 2 piece really excel when you are getting on them. they cool a lot better. Around town, meh, whatever...

There is always that bling factor too, just like slotted / drilled rotors ( sorry ). If you are slotting or drilling your rotors, you would be better off going to a smaller rotor, diameter, or width.

There is nothing magical aboutmy 2 piece rotors, I just did the background work.

The hats are Wilwoods 171-2234, they are undrilled so you have to have the stud holes drilled and the center hole drilled out. But the offset is really close. Sometimes a .020" shim is needed.

The rear hats do have a different offset...

The rotors are all over the place (Behlings). You can get really nice heavy duty curved vane rotors, or ultra light straight vane rotors. Pick your poison.

But basically use the lightest cheapest rotor you can get away with. Big rotors are like big ****, mostly for the looks, the babies don't care and neither does the car.

Does this help?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
But basically use the lightest cheapest rotor you can get away with. Big rotors are like big ****, mostly for the looks, the babies don't care and neither does the car.

Does this help?
Keiths mounts are right on for Wilwood calipers. Getting rid of unsprung weight is a good thing!

It's only a lapping car that would over power smaller or stock brake setups. As tire size and power goes up is where you need big rotors.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Corvette Engineering is basically done,
Thank you for giving it a go. I wouldn't have decent brakes on my car and wouldn't have been able to do track days without your efforts. The stock calipers just don't cut it for a 20 minute lapping session. I don't give a crap what anybody says.

I have your original aluminum dynalite brackets with billet dynalites. I expected the brackets to fatigue crack after a few years but they haven't yet. And they fit perfect. You're a good engineer my man.

I don't think i've ever given anyone here a compliment like that before. Mostly i give people crap.

Last edited by turtlevette; 08-17-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Jay,
I got your PM, thought I'd answer here.
Corvette Engineering is basically done, it's hard to compete with the likes of Vette brakes and the mother ship, Wilwood...

I still have a bunch of brackets and a few calipers sets, but I'm not working at selling anything any more. I had my fun :-)

OK, 2 piece rotors, you get a slight weight reduction, but most of that is unsprung as it's all in the hat area, but hey, thats good too! 2 piece really excel when you are getting on them. they cool a lot better. Around town, meh, whatever...

There is always that bling factor too, just like slotted / drilled rotors ( sorry ). If you are slotting or drilling your rotors, you would be better off going to a smaller rotor, diameter, or width.

There is nothing magical aboutmy 2 piece rotors, I just did the background work.

The hats are Wilwoods 171-2234, they are undrilled so you have to have the stud holes drilled and the center hole drilled out. But the offset is really close. Sometimes a .020" shim is needed.

The rear hats do have a different offset...

The rotors are all over the place (Behlings). You can get really nice heavy duty curved vane rotors, or ultra light straight vane rotors. Pick your poison.

Does this help?
Keith, Thanks for the info and sorry you could not continue with the business.....great quote on the big rotors are like big t*ts... hey but we all look.....now I'll try and find some 2 piece rotors the same size or small to use with the calipers on the car now. I'm sure Van Steel or VBP has the rotors I'm looking for or choose components.......

Last edited by 73jst4fun; 08-17-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to clarify, I'm not quitting or closing shop, just not trying hard anymore. ( I haven't for a while actually)
What that means is I won't be carrying as much stock, and I won't be pounding the pavement trying to sell. If someone want to work with me, cool, just don't expect Summit racing speed and selection

I am still here for advice, discussion and the fun of it. Corvette Engineering never was a 'Business' more like a hobby. I have turned away a few people and told them to run stock brakes.

I still think my kits are a great deal, and I'll sell any part of the kits, like just the brackets, I have a butload of 13" brackets I'll sell cheap...and tell you what part numbers are known to work.

I suppose I should publish the specs so people can do it them selves.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
You might check Wilwood's website or one of their catalogs. I put two-piece rotors (and Wilwood calipers) on my '69 last year. Note the difference in rotor weight (5# less) and caliper weight (7# less), resulting in a weight reduction of 12# per corner (14 vs 26).

I have a C4 suspension on my '69, so I had to do some mixing and matching of the rotor and hat sizes so I could retain my 15" wheels for street driving, but still have capable brakes during track days.
Just saw this. the weight difference is a smaller caliper, and a light weight rotor, Zweede has heavy duty curved vane rotors, you have light weight straight vane rotors.

Neither is better than the other, just different applications.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Thank you for giving it a go. I wouldn't have decent brakes on my car and wouldn't have been able to do track days without your efforts. The stock calipers just don't cut it for a 20 minute lapping session. I don't give a crap what anybody says.

I have your original aluminum dynalite brackets with billet dynalites. I expected the brackets to fatigue crack after a few years but they haven't yet. And they fit perfect. You're a good engineer my man.

I don't think i've ever given anyone here a compliment like that before. Mostly i give people crap.
Thanks I appreciate it, esp from a racer like you. You are a true convert if I remember right. Completely against the aftermarket brake idea at first, then all for them when you realized their benefit.

Yea, those brackets were a bitch, double sided CNC machined, $$$ but they were designed to handle 20 times the max force you could generate if you could stop the car at 1G with just 1 wheel...

If you ever want the new style brackets, I'll give you a set. You'd need new calipers tho.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Patman65
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread here but I'd really like to take advantage of this type of setup for a 1965. 2 piece 11.75" rotors would be great. Would anybody be able to tell what of the model numbers above/ information in this thread applies to a c2?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Go to Vansteels website and look at Wilwood brake kits for c2

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotors for C3's

Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Patman65
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speedreed8
Go to Vansteels website and look at Wilwood brake kits for c2
Just looked it over, they al appear to be for 13" + rotor sizes. I would like to make a bolt on 2 piece in the stock 11.75" size that works with the existing original caliper. Any thoughts or help?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Patman65
Just looked it over, they al appear to be for 13" + rotor sizes. I would like to make a bolt on 2 piece in the stock 11.75" size that works with the existing original caliper. Any thoughts or help?
My rotors are 11.75"/1.25" size Wilwoods. Wilwood also has a lot of different offset hats for their rotors. Respectfully, where are you running into problems with a two piece setup?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Tech Contributor

Just saw this.So did I. the weight difference is a smaller caliper, and a light weight rotor,Yes, I know. Zweede has heavy duty curved vane rotors, you have light weight straight vane rotors. Yes, I know that.

Neither is better than the other, just different applications.
My application is a lightweight car (2750#) and road course track days. So far this setup works very well, and fits under my 15" wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 piece rotors for C3's