C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C hose insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Default A/C hose insulation

Just installed the A/C back in the car and it works great, however one of the hoses from the compressor is close to the exhaust manifoldand gets very hot. I have been looking for some of the rubber insulation that some of the new cars have but no one seems to carry it. I can find plumbing insulation at Lowes but it's not flexible enough. Any suggestions?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The softer Armaflex type insulation can be found at a Wholesale A/C Supply. It comes in 6ft. lengths and is available in several ID and OD sizes. If you can not find the exact ID you can split it lenghtwise with a razor knife, cut to correct width and glue it back together with weatherstrip adhesive. Someplaces carry Armaflex glue also. Exhaust could poss. scorch it overtime depending on clearance to manifold. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 08-21-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mds3013
The softer Armaflex type insulation can be found at a Wholesale A/C Supply. It comes in 6ft. lengths and is available in several ID and OD sizes. If you can not find the exact ID you can split it lenghtwise with a razor knife, cut to correct width and glue it back together with weatherstrip adhesive. Someplaces carry Armaflex glue also. Exhaust could poss. scorch it overtime depending on clearance to manifold. mike...
Thanks, I'll give that stuff a try!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C hose insulation

Quick Reply: A/C hose insulation