C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential leaking at Yokes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Differential leaking at Yokes

Recently I noticed drip spots on my cardboard under the car right under the diff. I replaced fluid since it's been around 7 years. So I cleaned up everything and could see it appears to be just seeping out the yoke entry points. Couple drops a day.

Not sure what to do. I know I probably need a whole rebuild since I havent done anything in 8 years and my yokes do have some play.

But should anything really leak out from there? Is there an obvious seal for the yokes that I could have broken. The weird thing is it's out both yokes at the same time.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Yes there are seals for the yokes. I don't see how you could have damaged them, they are protected by the dust shield pressed onto the yokes.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

What about yoke end wear. Could that cause seal damage?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

If the wear is substantial, yes.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

probably just hardened from age..

Time to pull the diff for service as you can't change the seals without pulling it. while its out it may be time to refresh it with bearings, seals etc
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Bearings should only be replaced if they really need it, I'm still on original bearings. However, when it's apart you want to check the posi clutches. Even if they don't need replacing, you want to shim the clutch packs so the spiders are at about 0.001" (barely noticeable play). Nothing more embarrassing than a one-wheel burnout!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default My vette was a one wheel wonder until differential rebuild time.

Originally Posted by zwede
Bearings should only be replaced if they really need it, I'm still on original bearings. However, when it's apart you want to check the posi clutches. Even if they don't need replacing, you want to shim the clutch packs so the spiders are at about 0.001" (barely noticeable play). Nothing more embarrassing than a one-wheel burnout!
Driveline shop found my clutch packs so loose they were not even worn with over 100K mi.

Becareful, easy to get the while i'm at it illness here. U just want to get the seals replaced and the differential inspected. Of course repack the the U-joints. But unless the rear spring and trailing arms are broke save your $$$ until they are bad - u can repair those separatly at anytime. Easy to bust $1000 on the differential alone - it pays to shop around. Use a driveline specialty shop and you'll be happier.

Getting the spring out and off is a mess but i was able to manhandle the diff pumkin myself and take in to the shop for overhaul.
Good luck,
cardo0
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree you can open an expensive can of worms. I have replaced a bunch of side yoke seals only. You can partially drop the rear end not removing the driveshaft or strut rod mount and replace the seals , not too bad of a job.
Or you can bite the bullet and go for the full overhaul if you feel the rear end can use it and your wallet can stand it.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Looks like I need to replace yokes and seal. Hopefully gears and bearings are in good shape. Maybe I just swap for a rebuild but I wish the yokes would come with it. Nobody gives the yokes on a diff rebuild.

Thanks, more fun ahead as always.....

Get notified of new replies

To Differential leaking at Yokes

Quick Reply: Differential leaking at Yokes