C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM crate 350... this is ridiculous!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 319 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
If it's a 2 piece seal engine, YES! Dropping the trans and bellhousing on a 2 piece seal engine is a waste of time- you still have to drop the pan. A one piece seal, you have to pull the trans and bellhousing to get to the flexplate- remove it and the seal is right there. Pulling the pan on that one is unnecessary.

Your first step needs to be determining which style seal you have, then map out a plan from there.

Looking back to your first post, make sure it's the rear seal- not the back of the intake, oil pressure sender or something like that before you start pulling bigger stuff apart.
Clean it up really good with brake cleaner, then dust with baby powder. The oil will make a track in the powder you can follow.
I can say from first hand experience that the Tim method works perfectly. If the top half of the seal is too hard to slide in, you may have to loosen the main caps and drop the crank shaft a little, but even that isn't a big deal. Count on about 2 hours work including torquing everything back down.

As the folks above have suggested, make CERTAIN that you have a rear main leak before you bother. You think you're pissed now? Wait until your replace your rear main and find out the tranny seal is leaking.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 PM
H2O-V
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

again, i gotta say... you guys are GREAT!!
there have been so many things i have learned from this group in the process of this restoration. ..thanks!!

lots to answer...

Billla..
"Not trying to push, but on the start-up this included using a drill and tool to run the oil pump before starting the engine?"
..absolutely good advise... and yes, we did this as well, thanks.

MotorHead..
..and several others.. "be sure it is the rear main"... and i agree for sure!
i have done extensive surveying over the last month... cleaning any resedue after each inspection, and i did have a little leak from valve covers... tightened down and it seems to be gone.
slight leak from distributor, as the clamp was off to one side... adjusted and seems to be ok.
no apparent leak at oil pressure fitting.
..but oil still runs off the back end of oil pan, and down the outside of oil filter... which i have checked and re-checked for it's own seal.. ok. oil dripping from bell housing, and also noticed residue from oil pushing out through seem of bell housing where it bolts to the block.

i did purchase some "black light" dye and ran it through the last couple days in prep for attacking this today. hopefully i will see something definitive.

TimAT..
..the idea of use of baby powder..excellent! never thought of that!

i am actually taking the tranny back out today anyway, to take back to the trans shop that rebuilt it, because it has issues of it's own (noise, and leaking at shift levers... i swear, as many issues, and re-do's on this resto.. i have thought maybe it's just me!!)
..and then i will be able to inspect the situation better with the dye and a black light.

update you all later... and thank you ALL again!!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

We had a brand new ZZ4 that had a rear main leaking from DAY 1.....My dad was F'n pissed....LOL Didnt leak bad but a few drops after every drive.....Sux on a $50k 59' Vette.... Never fixed it though.....Just an annoyance, constantly having to clean the bottom of the pan area to keep her show ready...
Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Wipe everything clean and try the dye, you might be surprised, I had oil coming down in the exact places you describe. Tell me how a rear main seal is going to get oil dripping from the oil filter. My guess is you have leak at the back of he manifold where it meets the block.

Sometimes you can be fine for while but under certain circumstances the seal there can be blown out in one small place or even sucked into the motor. The hole can be be very small but you will have a nice leak.

Clean the back of the manifold and the top of the bellhousing good as well as the rear bottom section of the valve covers. Good luck

Quick Reply: GM crate 350... this is ridiculous!!