C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beware of parts store fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM
TJP440
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default beware of parts store fuel pumps

We have recently encountered issues with "parts store" fuel pumps for small and big block motors. They install and work fine for a day or two but lead to drive ability issues.
After much head scratching etc we discovered the culprit. 13.5 PSI at idle. We then actually sourced pumps from 6 different manufacturer's and sources. out of the box they all appeared the same and tested the same. 12.5 to 13.5 PSI. WHOA that's a bit much for most carburetors. Our fix has been to go to the edelbrock pump which is rated a 6.5 PSI. All testing and issues are now resolved. Again just a heads up
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just "parts store" fuel pumps. I just had an issue with a GM Performance mechanical fuel pump. It wasn't able to keep up with fuel demand at WOT. The engine would run out of fuel at the top of second gear. I'd replaced the fuel sock and even pulled the fuel filter out of the carb, same issue. The thing would also drain back if the float had the needle valve open. Although I don't have a pressure guage, I know what an engine acts like when it runs out of fuel. Plus, last weekend it died completely and the carburetor was dry. I ordered a replacement via a GM dealer and they'll honor the warranty. Problem is, they don't have a delivery date and it's already been three weeks!!! If the damn thing hadn't been so expensive to start with, I'd be going another route, and still may!

Quick Reply: beware of parts store fuel pumps