C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console - Loose Wires help and Fiber Optics

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Console - Loose Wires help and Fiber Optics

Today I decided to change the amperimeter that was not working - decided to dig into the center console and instruments - what an adventure - Indiana Jones would not dare!!!!!

Couple things I discovered;

1. Someone did loose the oil pressure and did a mess in the past, remaining of oil were still there - and did not clean it well.

2. My higher portion of the center panel is broken..... probably will need to replace it int eh future;

3. Air/Con still not working, but that will be for a later date.

4. And one nice discovery, the Fiber optics are mostly working need some help from you guys.

A. First with some lost/loose wires under the console, anyone knows where do they belong to, one I suspect is to the cigarette lighter, but the other one?????

B. On the ventilation control setup, I found a dial with many probably vaccum tubes, but one seem to be missing, the red stripped one was loose there too, so I stuck it on one of the two empty holes. Any schematics here????

C. The third question is regarding the Fiber Optics. I realized some light come out of the cables, now some questions;

c.1. How do I get more light to come out, need to clean the source?
c.2. On the upper center dash, six lights, the high beam and low beam lights work, but what are those two outer lights for?
c.3. On the rear console, the licens plate light works very well, but the corner lights are dim, not sure if I need to redo the end to clean it up.

Last edited by samuk; 11-07-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The orange wire on my car is for the clock.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Clock is working
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Probably ciggie power then - ciggie has a light too though.

Originally Posted by samuk
Clock is working
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
higginsjc18
Heel & Toe

the orange in the shift console is for the lighter (the orange in the center console is for the clock). The double black wire with the paddle with the hole in it (in your picture) is a ground wire for the AC/heater control - connect it with the black screw (right side I think). The brown wire might be for a light - a wiring diagram for your year c3 would help alot. From your picture it looks like you are missing the lens for the fiber optics - it helps amplify the light and is available from any number of suppliers.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jerome,

Thanks, perhaps that's the reason the A/C is not working.

Any clue on the vacuum connections at the a/c control?.

Regards,
Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samuk
C. The third question is regarding the Fiber Optics. I realized some light come out of the cables, now some questions;

c.1. How do I get more light to come out, need to clean the source?
c.2. On the upper center dash, six lights, the high beam and low beam lights work, but what are those two outer lights for?
c.3. On the rear console, the licens plate light works very well, but the corner lights are dim, not sure if I need to redo the end to clean it up.
1. Check the end of the fiber optic strand near the bulb to make sure it is clean. Check for a kink or damage along its path.

2. The other two lights are the front turn signal indicators.

3. Same as #1, check the end near the bulb. If the ends are clean, then check along the length of the fiber optic strand for damage.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The ends of the fiber optic cables (both ends) are critical to good light being transferred. You must check the condition of those ends at the bulb housings for the various lights. As you noted, the front set of FO lenses is for the front lamps: lo beams, hi beams, and parking lights/turn signals; the rear set are for the back lights: license plate and brake lights/turn signals. the rubber boots that house the fiber optic cable (at each lamp) are accessible from under the car. Each boot is just pressed into the lamp housing, so you can just pull/wiggle the boot out of each housing. Then you need to make sure there is no dirt/paint/debris on the end of the cable and to clean out and/or polish the plastic 'cover' over each cable end [the rear brake units have a red plastic cover; the front turn signals have an amber cover]. My advice is to check and clean everything, then try it all out by putting the boots back in place--then shine a flashlight into the bulb lens (on the outside of the car) to send light to the console display sets and make sure that all is working and bright before reinstalling and closing it all up.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 AM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Charlie,

at one end, on the console/cluster, some of the fiber optics are not visible, or barely - anyway to fix it?.

Perhaps could cut and redo the end?. are those metal tips workable?, refurbishable?.

rgds
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase the assembly instruction manual and take a look at the factory installation of the console. It shows everything under there, including the wiring. The AIM also shows the vacuum connections and routing for the AC controls. There is also a page for diagnosing the various connections and door operation.

Gray wire is illumination for the shifter (depends on model year) or the lighter.

Orange is power for the lighter.

Black with terminal is the shifter plate ground.

Tan probably routes back to the ebrake light switch on the ebrake handle.

Clean both ends of your fiber optics cables; do not cut anything. Clean the gook out of the interior FO lenses. The forward FO lenses point toward the driver and are meant to be viewed by the driver. Light value will be less from the passenger's side.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 11-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Easy Mike,

Got the manual.

Many thanks

Gray wire is illumination for the shifter (depends on model year) or the lighter.

- Grey illumination is connected

Orange is power for the lighter.

- Will connect the lighter, not connected.

Black with terminal is the shifter plate ground.

- Will connect.

Tan probably routes back to the ebrake light switch on the ebrake handle.

- Tan is for the brake and connected.

Clean both ends of your fiber optics cables; do not cut anything. Clean the gook out of the interior FO lenses. The forward FO lenses point toward the driver and are meant to be viewed by the driver. Light value will be less from the passenger's side.

- Will do a optics clean up this weekend......

Regards,

Get notified of new replies

To Center Console - Loose Wires help and Fiber Optics

Quick Reply: Center Console - Loose Wires help and Fiber Optics