C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering pump posable problems... low psi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Default power steering pump posable problems... low psi?

this may sound strange, but the only time i have ever replaced a power steering pump on any car it was because it was leaking...

My power steering pump powers both my Hydro Boost brakes and Rack & Pinion steering, but just recently the power assist is getting harder and the braking is also getting a less assisted peddle...all I could think of is the pump, but i have never seen one go out this way,,, this is the stock pump...

So, guess there really is nothing else it could be...... unless someone else has an idea??????

and if im going to replace it.... is there a nice looking one, billet maybe, that wont cost an arm and a leg? that someone would recommend?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, this is a shot in the dark, but when I changed my original power steering pump I removed flow control valve to install in the rebuilt pump. When cleaning the valve I noticed there was a screen on the valve that was completely blocked by a thick layer of a heavy gray paste. It was so bad I was surprised the power steering even worked. I didn't take a photo of the paste but here is a shot of the valve after it was cleaned. Maybe if this screen is plugged on your it could be effecting your steering pressure. Again, this is only a guess. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 71406
Ok, this is a shot in the dark, but when I changed my original power steering pump I removed flow control valve to install in the rebuilt pump. When cleaning the valve I noticed there was a screen on the valve that was completely blocked by a thick layer of a heavy gray paste. It was so bad I was surprised the power steering even worked. I didn't take a photo of the paste but here is a shot of the valve after it was cleaned. Maybe if this screen is plugged on your it could be effecting your steering pressure. Again, this is only a guess. Good luck.

how did it work before (symptoms?) and after? thx... p
Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
how did it work before (symptoms?) and after? thx... p
The unit was noisy and leaking. When apart also found worn vanes and rings. No problems with steering assist.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering pump posable problems... low psi?

Quick Reply: power steering pump posable problems... low psi?