C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Your Headlight Vacuum System Works

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Does this make sense, did I get it right?
That's correct.
The following users liked this post:
mikejana (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM
78 silver 78
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikejana
Thanks 78, that makes sense.

Does this make sense, did I get it right?
I'm not sure what you mean. You need to get a assembly manual for your year. It will help a lot. It won't tell you how things work but it will show were every thing is.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejana
Is this correct? Just want to make sure as I am reassembling the dash and console. Had lotsa gremlins under the dash.
Brakes are next and then on to amenities like Headlights.
Thanks, Mike
Perhaps the best headlamp vacuum schematic, next to what Pace Car posts here on the first page is by Olson Engineering. It is a wiring schematic for C3 Corvettes model year but includes the vacuum hose lines and how they route from the headlamp to engine vacuum and into the cockpit. It shows parts and much more useful than an AIM

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow this is great!! Is there one for the wipers?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 PM
mikejana
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, all the great info I needed.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 AM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 78IndyPace
There are lots of threads describing specific problems, troubleshooting techniques, and repairs; but I've yet to find anything showing or describing how the system works. So here goes.

The purpose here is to illustrate the NORMAL functions and associated vacuum and atmospheric pressure states of the vacuum operated headlight extension and retraction system in C3 Corvettes.

A brief troubleshooting guide and a hose connections diagram is included.

Please note: All text and diagrams, except for the hose connection diagram from Corvette-101.com, are copyright © 2011 by Business Data Services (my company).

Figure 1: Shows the system state after engine start (and vacuum has accumulated) with headlight switch “OFF” and Manual Override “Pull Down” Switch in the “UP” position. Note that in the relays, vacuum “pulls” the diaphragms and "Dog Bone" valves upward against the springs. This action ports vacuum from the tank to the rear of each actuator. Thus our headlights are held down by vacuum (or pushed down by atmospheric pressure) when our headlights are switched off.

Figure 2: Shows the system state after the headlight switch has been pulled to the “ON” position and atmospheric pressure enters at the headlight switch. Note that in the relays, the springs have pushed the diaphragms and "Dog Bone" valves downward. This action ports vacuum from the tank to the front of each actuator while allowing atmospheric pressure to enter the rear of each actuator. Thus our headlights are pulled up by vacuum (and pushed up by atmospheric pressure) when our headlights are switched on.

Figure 3:
Shows the system state with the headlight switch in the “OFF” position and the Manual Override “Pull Down” switch in the “DOWN” position. In this case, atmospheric pressure enters at the “Pull Down” switch. As in Figure 2, note that in the relays, the springs have “pushed” the diaphragm and “Dog Bone” valves downward, vacuum is ported from the tank to the front of each actuator, and atmospheric pressure enters the rear of each actuator. Thus our headlights are pulled up by vacuum (and pushed up by atmospheric pressure) when the “Pull Down” switch is extended and the headlights are switched off.

Troubleshooting: These diagrams can also serve as troubleshooting aids. For example, Figure 1 illustrates that with the engine off, headlights off, and the manual override “pull down” switch in the up position, you can easily test the vacuum integrity of the in-dash components and hoses. Disconnect and plug the single white-striped hose at the “T” immediately above the relays at Circle 1 then disconnect the small hose from the check valve at Circle 2 and connect and operate a vacuum pump to that hose at that point. If that part of the system holds a vacuum, you can conclude that the included hoses and components are functional. If that part of the system does not hold a vacuum, then individual hoses and components need to be tested and replaced as necessary..

Similarly, you can test the vacuum integrity of the vacuum diaphragms in the tops of both relays by connecting a vacuum pump in place of the white-striped hose at Circle 1 just above the relays. If vacuum holds, you can conclude that both relay diaphragms are intact. If not, then test each relay separately and replace the leaker. (There is no repair I know of for leaky relay or actuator diaphragms.)

Figure 2 shows that you can test the vacuum integrity of the “dog bone” valves and the headlight actuators with the engine off by disconnecting each yellow-striped hose from the vacuum tank at Circle 4 and connecting a vacuum pump to each hose (separately) at that point. It takes a fair amount of pumping, but if the components are sealing properly, the headlight will slowly extend. Keep pumping after it has fully extended. If these parts of the system hold a vacuum, you can conclude that the relay “dog bone” valves, the actuators’ diaphragms, the actuators’ front seals, and the yellow-striped and green-striped hoses are intact.

It’ s bit more involved to verify movement of the “dog bone” valves in the relays. With headlights in the UP position, remove the hoses from the “T” to the tops of the relays (see Circle 3 in Figure 1). Attach a short length of vacuum hose and your vacuum pump. Pump until vacuum does not increase. Using a vice grip pliers, pinch off the hose so vacuum is maintained in the top of the relay. Then attach your vacuum pump to the relay’s center (yellow) port. Again, it takes a fair amount of pumping, but if the “dog bone” valve moved correctly and the actuator's diaphragm and is intact, the headlight will slowly retract.

An excellent guide for troubleshooting and testing individual headlight vacuum system components is located on Corvette-101.com. However, Corvette-101.com's "GENERAL FUNCTION TEST" for the system as written is NOT a valid test. So simply ignore it and go on down the page for component descriptions, troubleshooting, and tests. Figure 4 is a copy of the hose connection diagram from Corvette-101.com.

Corvette-101.com includes a relay repair procedure for the “dog bone” valves. Another repair method I used successfully for these valves can be found HERE.

You'll find a good corvettemagazine.com article with lots of photos and narrative showing how to remove the actuators and replace their seals HERE.

From the learned-it-the-hard-way school a final tip: If your headlight vacuum system functions properly EXCEPT that one or both headlights pop up when you are heavy on the throttle for a long period, you should suspect the check valve. Our ‘Vette was doing that as we climbed our local mountain passes. When everything else checked out OK, I finally pulled the check valve. I could easily blow air through it from the single port (manifold vacuum) side, so I knew it was bad. All’s well since I replaced it.

You can download a .pdf file with the above images and narrative HERE.

I learned a lot putting this together. Hope it helps!

Jerry
78IndyPace
Jerry this is awesome, I also have a 79 that I am putting back together and this will be great guidance for me. Do you have something similar for the vacum lines that are connected to the carb, water thermostat sensors, intake and air cleaner? thanks again for great work
Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

How your headlight vacuum system works: It makes a hissing noise and the revs go up and down. At least that is how mine works...
Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by r16678
Jerry this is awesome, I also have a 79 that I am putting back together and this will be great guidance for me. Do you have something similar for the vacum lines that are connected to the carb, water thermostat sensors, intake and air cleaner? thanks again for great work
Maybe something here will help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-routing.html
http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...diagrams.1773/
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Excellent post. Worth a bump for sure. But, Just a FYI for the 69 owners, It only has one headlight vacuum relay. probably 68 also. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the thread.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Phoneman1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for a speedy response
Old 03-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

I hate to reply to an old thread, but I want to be able to find this great info again.
The following users liked this post:
twinpack (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:14 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

I would love to download the pictures but the link is not working. I know it's a old post. Just hoping someone could repost the link. Great write up.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:48 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=twinpack;1603172648]I would love to download the pictures but the link is not working. I know it's a old post. Just hoping someone could repost the link. Great write up.[/QUOTE

Maybe this will help.

http://corvette-restoration.com/wp-c...ers/vacuum.pdf
Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.corvettemagazine.com/196...system-repair/
Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!