C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever tried Leaded Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
of course everyone noticed the fuel economy went into the crapper during the 70's.....
No, not 'everyone' did. I've never even heard that theory before. I switched back and forth between leaded and unleaded at the time and saw no difference. I can also not think of any plausible explanation as to why there would be a difference.

There again, I don't need to blame everything that happens under the sun on 'politics'.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, wow and wow.
The myths that exist around leaded fuel are nearly as numerous as the ones around JFK and Dallas!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Really, Gene? I grew up with leaded gas (Sweden didn't go unleaded until the late 80's) and the exhaust stank. I was thrilled when unleaded and cats finally became law and the stench went away.
While this is getting a bit off topic, couldn't agree more. Remember taking bicycle ride's along highway's as a kid and the fume's were horrible. I've alway's been a performance guy and not liking restrictive cat's at first, but the industry's really come around. Know a few guy's who've pulled the cat's on modern performance car's, and can smell them block's away. My late model car's are keeping the factory exhaust.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Mr Sidepipes
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn85
Engine failure in a plane with one engine is not any fun.
I agree
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by mrvette
AND in this discussion everyone ignored the elephant in the room.....

specifically that in the WASH POST paper in the early 70's....was a series of articles outlining the FACT that it takes 10% more crude oil/gallon of gas refined....and the FACT that cars got like 15% worse fuel economy on the unleaded.....which conveniently added 25% more crude oil consumption per mile traveled, and of course we know about the oil embargos in '73 when this EPA lie started, and then of course the '79-80 Iran thing....

A fellow hortodder I have known since '66 and I talk of those articles every once in a while....and our memories are matching, so I know where of I speak......

so you all ignore the elephant on this, and vote green weenie EPA lies all you want, I may be forced to buy that inferior product at higher prices because of that sheer STUPIDITY but don't think I forgot the reasons and the truth.....

i completely agree, i read that same article, i may be wrong but i think Pat Goss wrote it.good memory.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

oh crap, who keeps reviving this old stuff.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Sorry, but that's false and just more myth. There's nothing magic or mysterious about Avgas. It burns just fine in car engines.
Not for long though.

aviation fuels are made to burn at higher altitude.
Pretty much the opposite. Take-off is the critical period of operation.

Either one of you have any flying experience?
A piston driven aircraft has a mixture control right next to the throttle. This is how you obtain a good running engine at all altitudes. Fuel is only part of the equation. I ran STC'd (Supplemental Type Certificate) engines when I was a flight instructor to run on automotive gasoline.
I actually went down to the gas station and purchased fuel in gas cans to refuel the airplane.
Never had an issue with this system. Sure if you had an highwing aircraft without a fuel pump. You may want the added assurance of fuel delivery by adding a fuel pump but I didn't have one on a Cessna 150 and never had an issue, hot , cold, high altitude (relative since ceiling was only 12,650 ft ) or low altitude.
The other aircraft was a Grumman American (AA-5A). It had a fuel pump since it was a low wing configuration but same results, no problems. Also flew Cherokee 140 and 180 with STC's for auto fuel.
Mogas was mentioned here that was the term for automotive fuel that could be purchased on the field instead of driving to the gas pump with cans.
I can tell you that the Grumman was originally rated for 160hp and derated to 150hp on the auto fuel.
While I was hauling air cargo for an operator another pilot decided that it would be cheaper if we siphoned fuel out of the plane that the owner was paying for (100 low lead) and put it into the car instead of having to buy gas on our own dime for the company car. It was an 86 Chevy Citation or something like that.
After about a month of this the car would barely run. It belched and coughed and would hardly idle. It also smoked like a chimney. So, no 100LL does your car no favors. I suspect in this case the catalytic converter was all clogged up.
In any case a piston driven aircraft engine might turn at 2800 to 3000 rpm max unless it a gear reduced prop then maybe 3500 to 3800 rpm. Your car turns at 5000 or more. The fuel is made to burn slowly and not detonate it does this well. It's not particularly good for throttle response.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Only Morons put AV Gas in their cars morons for the past 40 years have been telling me how their power must nearly double when they put it in
Lets not jump to the gun a little too quickly about morons. In the late 70's I had a piece part L88 clone engine in my 1969 coupe. It came with a 12.5:1 and I had the piston domes milled down to a 11.5:1 compression ratio. During engine build up, 104 octane fuel was sold in California. By the time the car was on the street, 104 was history. Racing fuel was expensive, but AV gas was OK, ...sure more than street gas but less than racing gas. I couldn't run on street gas, but AV gas was fine. I started buying 5 gallon Jerry cans of AV gas at Torrance Municipal Airport. With AV gas I could operate my clone L88 without pinging. Eventually, the guy at the airport got to know me and was sympathetic to what I was doing. Finally he told me...I just drove my 69 Corvette to the airport, and at an out of the way place he'd just pump AV gas directly into my fuel tank. I'd guess there'd be some tremendous fine today.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

My interest in buying racing gasoline does not involve octane. I'm much more concerned about the alcohol in gasoline sold in California. I have a 68 Corvette with a pot metal Holley carb and a steel tin plated fuel tank. These components are all new. But alcohol in the gasoline will I believe eventually cause a corrosion problem. I'd like to run the 68 on alcohol free fuel. If you don't want to buy alcohol racing fuel, look to buy fuel that does not advertise "oxidants." Oxidants is a code word for alcohol. It is possible to buy high octane alcohol free gasoline in California that does not violate environmental laws ...however .,it does violate state laws about using fuels that don't have road taxes for street cars.

..And finally the bottom line about leaded racing fuels. If you buy a leaded racing fuel and are caught using it in a street car, here in California, it's a $10,000 fine. (My understanding)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one subject I am in total agreement with Mike Ward!. Please do not use Leaded gas in your cars. These cars are so low horsepower even modified would never need leaded gas. Thanks to all the lead from the 50 and 60's early 70's to produce Cancer causing air particals. Again, absolutly no reason to use leaded gas in anything. Same goes for "off road" Deisel. Farmers should pay the road tax just as well. Hell, they drive the damn tractors all over the roads. Well that is another subject. Al
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Filler up with Ethyl is permanently stuck in my mind.
Thanks Ernie, now I feel old too
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
And I'll argue even that point. No benefit whatsoever.
Then why did they use lead as an in gasoline to start with? remember back in the day when you had a white coating in the exhaust pipes the car was tuned correctly? Ah the good old days.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 694speed350
Then why did they use lead as an in gasoline to start with?
Early on all gas was unleaded. In the 50's there was an increased push for more horsepower. The high compression engines needed higher octane, and TEL was a very cheap way to increase octane ratings. TEL is not good for engines, it fouls spark plugs. In the late 60's it was found that leaded gas caused high lead levels in young children. High enough to cause brain damage. That (and also to prepare for catalytic converters in '75) was why it was phased out in the early 70's.

Today we have much better ways to produce high octane gas without using TEL.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
My god I feel old.... Never thought I'd hear that question in my life time.
Filler up with Ethyl is permanently stuck in my mind.
You mean like, "Fill it up w/ Sunoco 260." LOL! That was always the best stuff other than racing fuel back when I was in high school and just after. As recently as 1987, The "Payless" gas station and convenience store sold racing fuel, 112 octane in one of their pumps, both here in Killeen and in Temple. (I'm in Texas.) After running a tank full of that in my bike(had a CB1100F Honda w/ an 1123 Wiseco kit and a bunch of other stuff in it and went to the drag races on weekends w/ it, drove it to work during the week)just high test gas was a flat drag. LOL! I remember when unleaded gas came around, factory muscle cars were pigs by then.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
All Corvettes from 1971 up are made to run UNleaded fuel. And, the ones made prior to that period don't NEED leaded fuel to run. Some need more octane to run properly (C.R. over 10.5), but leaded fuel is not necessary in any case.
exhaust seats.

When unleaded fuel came out, the cylinder heads were equipped w/ hardened exhaust seats, GM I believe in 1971. No, the ones prior don't NEED leaded fuel to run, but it's tough on the exhaust valve seats, and it eventually beats the seats down into the head. Octane is another issue.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 694speed350
Then why did they use lead as an in gasoline to start with? remember back in the day when you had a white coating in the exhaust pipes the car was tuned correctly? Ah the good old days.
i remember those days, took my 66 hemi charger on a trip from northern Virginia to new york arrived and inside the pipes were white as snow. i didn't believe it. awful hard to get the carbs that good on that setup.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 PM
John Wong
7th Gear

You are a happy person
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM
John Wong
7th Gear

I agree too

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever tried Leaded Gas?