C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Edlebrock Qjet a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Dave5701
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Edlebrock Qjet a keeper?

I have an Edlebrock 1904. Seems to work ok, but I think it needs some adjusting. I dont much about adjusting/overhauling carbs, so where can I go to get educated? This carb does cause flooding. (Now I get to show some ignorance here). The front choke flapper on the front venturi ports stays closed a lot. All I have to do is prop it open when it floods and I am good. SO how do I get that to stay open just a bit? Seems like the old Qjet has a lot of fans and now I understand that the Qjet can be adjusted to provide variable CFM. SOme I have talked to used to hate them but after being taught how they work, have an appreciation for them. Is the Edlebrock the same way? If so, then eventually, when I do an engine overhaul, maybe staying with this carb might be ok? Guidance oh wise ones!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally prefer Q-Jet's to anything else, and would stick with the carb you've got. It seem's obvious you've got some kind of a choke problem, which shouldn't be much to fix. Maybe a float problem, too. The guru on these is Lars Grimsrud. He doesn't post here anymore, but has a site with lot's of information, and good with e-mail. You may need to do some re-jetting for your application, but well worth the effort.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

That's a great carb. Too bad Edelbrock quit building them. It's 795 cfm. I have the 1901 which is 750 cfm. Give it a good rebuild with quality parts and it should work really well for you.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The [cold start] choke on your carb is not working correctly. Your best option is to get a copy of the Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual for your year car and follow the instructions for setup of the choke and adjustments to the carb. The "flapper" at the front of the carb inlet is the choke plate. With a 'cold' engine, that plate should close most of the way when the accel pedal is depressed (once) to the floor. That 'sets' the choke. As the engine warms, that choke plate should open fully....and, apparently, it's not. Make necessary adjustments to choke and carb per that manual and you should be fine. The Q-Jet is a very good carb and you should keep it.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
jimboscarbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Edelbrock Q-jet casting is a very good casting the Q-jet will spank a Holley or Carter on the dyno and the race track

Get notified of new replies

To Is Edlebrock Qjet a keeper?

Quick Reply: Is Edlebrock Qjet a keeper?